Ust/Tubeless Tires Help/Advise(merged/sticky)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by berringer, May 26, 2009.

1. bordhead

bordhead Member

thanks for the info

2. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

For anyone considering the Stan's conversion do a Google search on Gorilla tape tubeless conversion. Just finished mine and the end result looks like a true UST rim. Total cost is less than $20 for the Stan's juice and a roll of 1" Gorilla tape. So far it hasn't lost any air in a few hours. We'll see how it holds up.
    FYI I've been using the Stan's strips for the past two years on my Outlaws but they were too wide for the DT Swiss 540s I threw on recently and I do use a true UST tire.

3. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    Posted this in other tire thread too, but I run Specialized Purgatory Control 2.4 on Stan Flow Rims without any issues. Pumped up first time with floor pump. Used 3oz of Stans for each tire and yellow strip. Sealed up first time without any issues. Tires are light for 2.4 too. They weigh around 730gm I think. Roll pretty fast too and grip around corners well.

4. Silver

Silver New Member

Depends on the tire, but a lot of them will work. I think you're a little more prone to ripping a sidewall though.

Also, they are going to take longer to seal-UST tires are airtight, regular bike tires aren't. You might get a lot of weepage through the sidewalls the first night or two. You'll be aired up and the bead will hold, but keep shaking and turning like 92se-r and they'll eventually be airtight. It's not uncommon to lose 20 pounds of pressure the first night though.

Also, don't pump a non-tubeless tire up to 40 pounds to start the sealing process. I've been using 40 as my upper limit for a couple of years, but my new limit is 35. I blew a Maxxis Ardent off the rim yesterday at 40. Stan's was everywhere, and my neighbor came running over because he thought something very seriously bad had happened.

5. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
    Dt-Swiss 520 SL tubeless conversion

My 1-month old 2011 SJ FSR Expert 29er came with Purgatory S-works 2.2 front and Purgatory Control 2.2 on rear
    the rims are Custom Dt-Swiss 530 SL 26" mm wide

So I'm thinking about going 2-bliss...
    I noticed that the DT-Swiss 520SL rims has red tape - is that tubeless-ready like the light-blue tape on the DT-Swiss 420SL I have on my 26er SJ ?
    Also what do I need in order to convert those rims to tubeless ?
    Does Stan's 29er tubeless kit compatible with these rims ?
    Do I need the rim strip or the red one should be just fine along with a valve ?

6. Bungle

Bungle Spitting Mad

I use non-UST wheels and non-UST tires, but I run tubeless anyway. Everything works perfect, I don't leak air, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It took a few tries to get the tires to hold air when I first installed them (the sealant had to soak in all the pores), but that was 8 months ago and I haven't had a flat since. I only have to add air a couple times a month, which is less than I did when I used tubes.

7. grendal

grendal Member

Burb Flats- Bad tire?

So I have roval el wheel with s-works 2.0 Captains set up tubeless on the front and have been running this way for about 6 months and haven't had any problem until recently. About a month ago I hit a sidewall of a rut hard and burp flatted. Since then It has happened 3 more times. All three times I have been descending technical sections and got my weight a little to far forward, but no more so that I have in the past. Same result all three times..Hiss, OTB , lots of bad bruises.

Is it possible I have streched the bead of this tire and need to change it out for a new one? I have dumped extra stans in , upped the pressure, but that doesn't seem to matter. Yesterday 1/2 down rattlesnake. Hiss, boom.
    Losing confidence in one's equipment is never a good thing..Look for sugesstions

Thanks,

8. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Does the rim have a ding or flat spot on it?

shitty

9. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

^^^ edit: responded while I was typing. . . .

Beside the tire, have you thoroughly checked the rim to make sure the bead area didn't get tweaked or dinged? I'm sure that is the first thing you looked at. I have the same wheels on my Stumpy FSR, which I'm running with Fastrak tires -- so far so good (knock on wood).

10. CalEpic

CalEpic member

The bead was most likely stretched or damaged the first time it burped. Tubeless conversions of non-UST tires/rims are just asking for trouble. They will work for a while but will inevitably fail. The problem is that when they do fail, it's not at a very good time. I've said it many times, if you want to go tubeless and have it be a trouble free experience, go with UST rims and UST or tubeless ready tires with sealant.

11. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Thanks DAD! Or you can learn to ride a little more smoothly. ;) :eek: I do agree with you tho'

shitty

12. fatguy1

fatguy1 Active Member

owner of auto detail co.
    yeah what calepic said....ive been otb twice for making that mistake and its no bueno!!!

13. grendal

grendal Member

Just had them checked out last week, so don't think so.

I think the rear might after yesterday's crash...

14. grendal

grendal Member

I have 4 wheel sets Tubless ready rims and Tires with extra sealant and this is the first time I have had a re-occurring issue . I think the bead must be damaged so it looks like it is time for a new front tire.

15. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Stans Tubeless Q

Does it work as advertised. Im tired of getting flats, is that the best way to go tubeless ?

16. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I don't know if it's the best, but it does work pretty well.

I went tubeless about 1600 miles ago and have only had one flat that the Stan's didn't seal up.

17. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Yes. It does work as advertised. For a low cost conversion, I would say it is the best way.

18. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

It works as advertised. Is it the best, possibly. But most wheel/tire manufacturers are now coming out with their OEM offering of tubeless setup, and have not seen a comparison of the different systems...

19. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    What Eric said: I've run tubeless for four years, and I've only had one flat that was hard to seal, and I suspect that had something to do with the fact that it was 100 degrees out. Oh yeah, I had some self-induced trouble recently when I punctured the rim tape by being too aggressive with some tire levers. Otherwise it's been great, and I'm never going back to tubes.

20. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Yeah, it will virtually eliminate "normal" flats for you. It won't help when you jam big sticks through your tire, or when you slice the sidewall with rocks.

If you're comfortable doing minor maintenance on your bike, Stan's might be for you. If you just let your bike sit for a long time and then hop on, expecting everything to be perfect, stick with tubes. I say this because you need to keep an eye on the Stan's. If you let the tire dry out, you'll go flat pretty quickly. I go monthly between checks.

Also, it would be quite a chore to work on tubeless tires without an air compressor at your disposal. That's an air compressor with a tank, not one of those cigarette lighter jobs.

For me, Stan's is good stuff.