Ust/Tubeless Tires Help/Advise(merged/sticky)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by berringer, May 26, 2009.

1. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing

Try the pricing at Mountain High Cyclery from Larry Mettler in Loveland CO, or the Red Barn in Montana. Much better pricing, maybe 60- 75% of list. Google them up and email them with a request for a quote, you might be surprised at what they go for and how much you can save.

Everyone's values for tires are different. Some folks are willing to pay for good rubber and some folks aren't. :?:

2. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    So you are saying all my tubeless woes could be solved by using UST Nevegals on my non UST rims? My damn Nevegals keep bubbling at the bead where the little ridges are, no matter what I do. I guess I'll just have to try it. THanks. I never knew UST tires could be used on non-UST rims because I thought the bead on the tire was completely different and wouldn't hook.

Big Betty's are the bomb. Just expensive.

3. Scotth

Scotth New Member

Digital Photography Tech
    They work for me. Stan's strips in old Mavic 519's. Pump right up (with compressor) first go, and hold air great.

4. BH1

BH1 New Member

Art Director, Motion Graphics and Animation
    I have been running the Nevegal UST Tires front (2.5) and rear (2.35) on non UST rims for almost 5 years on my Reign with no major issues.

I originally used the Maxxis tubeless rim strips and recently switched over the the Stans rim strips using the Stans sealant.

5. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    tubeless advice

some of you may have heard my tubeless woes with my non ust nevegals a while back. i read that some of you had problems with the non ust nevegals at the bead, which is exactly where i was having issues.

i got the leak down to where it was rideable, but it would only take a week to start leaking to the point where it wasnt rideable.

i finally decided to try ust nevegals with my non ust rims like some of you suggested. for years i was under the impression the bead was too different to work with non ust rims. not true. it totally works. it seals ten times better than non ust tires. no preforming with tubes necessary. it inflated up with a floor pump first time and no bubbles at the bead. awesome.

cliffs notes: just use ust tires. take the weight penalty. totally worth it

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
  6. davidB

davidB Active Member

Or use a lot of sealant! :bang: I've never encountered these Kenda woes that everyone keeps talking about, and i've used SB8's, Nevegal's, Excavator, Blue Groove.

but yeah, UST tires tend to have thicker sidewalls and beefier beads IIRC

7. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

I got my non UST Nevegals to seal with a little coaxing but have since mounted up the UST Nevegals. They are a bit heavier but I feel a little more confident with them.

8. Scotth

Scotth New Member

Digital Photography Tech
    Glad you got it sorted.

9. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    dude, i used stans, slime, combination of both, and even put sealant all over the bead to help it seal. i think those ridges at the bead prevent them from really sealing well, whereas the ust tires dont have those ridges and can seal better.

just the sidewall alone is worth it to run ust tires.

10. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    The other day I was thinking the same thing. I was running Kenda SB8s on the back of my Stumpjumper and I was thinking "why does everybody hate the SB8s, theyre great"--PFFFFF--as I was thinking it, my sidewall ripped right at the bead! :lol:#-oWTF?

11. BIGChris

BIGChris New Member

Tubeless

tires BLOW if you are over 200lbs. If you do try 'em, stay away from Hutchinsons.

12. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Apparently nobody told my Nevegals. I'm 240 fully geared up and I've never had a tire failure because of my weight. :-k

13. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Are you using UST or non-UST tires? Try some UST tires if you haven't already. The sidewalls are way beefier.

14. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    Just mounted a nev 2.3 tubeless up front and that thing is beefy. My bike just gained .5lb!

15. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    I weigh 230 lbs and I ride like a guerilla, :lol:and have never had a blowout in the 3 years I have been riding. The only prob I've ever had was an SB8 tear at the bead.#-o

16. mb300

mb300 New Member

(One of these days I'll take some pictures and put together a proper how-to, till then here is a re-post on all things ghetto, tubeless, and ghetto tubeless)

I went from tubes to slime tubes to lightweight slime tubes to homemade slime tubes to pipe tape tubeless back to tubes to real tubeless then to ghetto tubeless.

Since I've finally "figured out" ghetto tubeless I'll never go back to either tubes or real UST tubeless.

The first time you go ghetto tubeless you will make a mess and you will be frustrated. The 2nd time you'll be much better. After you've done it a dozen times you'll be a master-- you'll be swapping tires without spilling a drop of sealant on the floor.

The big benefit with ghetto tubeless is that the tire WANTS to stay seated on the innertube/rimstrip. Near zero burping compared to UST tubeless. If you get a flat you just plug the tire from the outside and reinflate- the tire doesn't want to fall off the bead like with normal tubeless. This applies to ghetto tubeless using a 20" bmx tube-- if you use the "seal your rim with tape" ghetto method it is really easy to burp and its difficult to seat the bead as well.

Here's what you need to do it right:
    -plain old non-ust rim
    -20" bmx tube with schrader valve (forget presta, much much easier with schrader valves). (use a standard thickness bmx tube for XC. or a thick thorn resistant bmx tube for freeride or downhill)
    -brake cleaner
    -stans
    -liquid latex
    -plastic spoon
    -valve core tool
    -air compressor

Search "ghetto tubeless" for basic installation directions, but make these modifications:

1) Use a schraeder valved bmx tube. it is much easier to flow air thru a schraeder opening than a presta opening (therefore easier to get the tire to seat). You can add air with the valve core removed to make it even easier yet. The best way is to remove the core AND directly use the air compressor quick release on the valve stem. Don't use an air chuck at all, the bare stem will actuate the quick release and you will get far more volume than if you use an actual tire chuck.

Save yourself the hassle and use a compressor too. After the bead is seated the first time it will stay there, you only need to use the compressor once.

2) After you cut open the bmx tube clean the talcum powder out with brake cleaner. make sure it is super super clean. this is critical to prevent air loss at the bead/tube interface

3) Mix in 2 teaspoons of liquid latex with 4oz of stans. thats the perfect combo that I've found for sealing holes. You can get liquid latex at Micheals arts and crafts stores. I'll post pictures of the 3/8" tree branch that went thru my tire. It sealed up instantly around the branch (the branch stayed in the tire, otherwise I would have been hosed).

4) if you cut a sidewall or get a big hole while out on the trail simply stuff paper towel into the hole and re inflate. The stans will soak into the paper towel and plug the hole. It will slowly leak down but normally you can finish your ride no problem.

To patch a tire that has had a big hole in it:

This is what you use to seal inner liners that have been damaged. It works great.

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/mercha...tegory_Code=CE

Procedure:
    1) clean inside of tire near puncture, preferably with buffing solution (but brake cleaner works too)
    2) apply vulcanizing cement around area
    3) apply patch to vulcanizing cement
    4) wait for it to dry, then coat with liner sealer. wait for that to dry and you are as good as new again.

17. Pup-n-taco

Pup-n-taco Yeah. It's MINE.

Pilot
    UST/Tubeless Newb.

I'm switching out my front tire (weirwolf for a high roller) on a Mavic crossmax slr rim. Inside the old tire and consequently the rim is sealer I am presuming (green goo).

I guess my questions are:
    1- Do I need to clean out the green stuff and does that require anything other than soap and water?

2- Is sealer required with the new tire. The new tire is heavy enough and I would rather not add more weight if it is not essential.

Tanks:wave:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
  18. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    I wouldn't be too concerned about leftover residue; however, I would seriously consider adding some Stan's sealant to your tubeless setup. You're not going to notice 2 ounces of Stan's when riding and the greatly-reduced risk of flats is worth a little extra weight ;)

19. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    All goop will do is leak long term.

A UST bead will seat best, if it's just a standard High roller best of luck. The old slime could make things slippery, but then you likely have figured that out already.

20. Piranha

Piranha Member

+1 on the Stans & UST tire.
    Buy a 32 oz. bottle. It will last you at least a year and likely more. Put 2 oz. in each tire and never look back. Flatting and/or buying tubes will become a thing of the past.