Used Jeep Cherokee or Toyota 4Runner?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AKmoney, Sep 29, 2008.

1. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    Hey,

So I just sold my weekend toy (Honda S2000) because it wasn't seeing much use anymore and because it couldn't haul the MTB. I'm thinking of getting a cheap, used 4x4 SUV that I can use to haul a couple bikes up to the Holy Jim trailhead, among other places. I've always liked Jeep Cherokees, you know, the kind they made for like 15 years without hardly any changes. Bulletproof (?) 4.0 straight-6 motor, solid axles front and rear, etc. Good choice? How about a mid-late 90s Toyota 4Runner?

2. MotoDave

MotoDave New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    I've been looking at the same 2 trucks for a while now. The Cherokees are a LOT cheaper than 4Runners, but probably not quite as reliable. I don't think either would be a bad truck.

3. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    The jeep my son...

Good friend of mine had the 4-Runner, much more modern inside and refined than the Jeep. Cherokees on the other hand weigh a lot less (2950-3100) are unibody, and the parts are much cheaper. Having owned two of them I am partial to the latter. Find one from model year Y2k as they are the most updated (coil on plug, NVH refinements, Plus they are low emissions vehicles) Too bad you just missed a great deal on one.

4. sailcalifornia

sailcalifornia Member

IMHO it come down to Toyota vs. Jeep. I personally go toyot, more expensive off the top but it will run FOREVER. My ex girlfriend had a 4runner and treated it like sh*t and never had a problem with it.

5. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    I had 2 4runners - an '89 that went 240k before i crashed it, and a '92 that went 210k before the head gasket went earlier this year. Both were rock solid reliable and for the most part easy to work on. I definitely liked the '89 better for it's removable roof, but those are getting up in a ge and mileage now, and a good one is pretty hard to come by. The '92 was a little nicer inside, had the auot-locking hubs, cruised smoother on the freeway, and would still go damn near anywhere.

I'd definintely recommend going with the 4runner over the Cherokee without any hesitation...I sure miss mine.

6. BrahMa

BrahMa New Member

Easy answer, you want a vehicle that is cheap, and you get to buy cheap parts when you have to fix it, get the Jeep. If you go this route, you'll want to be good friends with your mechanic and auto parts store. You want a vehicle that is built well, and you won't have to worry about buying parts to fix it every month, get a Toyota.

Bottom line, Jeeps are junk. I don't care what anyone says, this is fact, and not debatable.

7. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

I heard for a while that Toyota 4Runners/Tacomas with V6 engines had a tendency to blow head gaskets. Does anyone know anything about this?

8. nomadFF

nomadFF Member

LACoFD
    I blew 2 head gaskets on my 4runner. 1995 V6. Loved the car but it got expensive. I have heard the 4cylinder 22r motors are the way to go. It makes less power than the v6 but is substantially lighter. The performance #s are not that different. Even with the headgaskets, I would get another 4 runner in a heartbeat

9. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    There was a TSB on the head gaskets on the V-6's from the late '80s to the early '90s. Toyota replaced allot of them (whether they needed it or not) either for free on in conjunction with a major service if your truck hadn't had it done yet. Not a problem anymore as far as I know.

10. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

the inline 6 jeeps have issues I wouldn't poke a used one with a stick

11. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    The V6 in question here is the 3VZE. They had a horrible time with those headgaskets in the 4runner/ PU. T100's on the other hand had the same engine but had minimal problems (bigger engine compartment). It all came down to the crossover tube in the back of the cylinder head getting too hot. As long as it had enough airflow it was fine. Even the 3VZE's had bullet proof bottom ends. Can't go wrong with a toyota!

12. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

I'm currently 162K in on my 99 4-Runner, 4wd, V6, Limited. The paint is chipping and cracking but that's the fault of the body shop who painted it a few years ago after an accident. Mechanically speaking, it's been rock solid and I haven't had a problems. Like any car, you need to do routine maintenance on it so I recently replaced all the plugs, plug wires, coils, water pump, timing belt and other routine stuff. More preventative then anything else. I plan on replacing it soon with a new car and then having it re-painted to give to my son, when he's ready. I couldn't think of a better hand-me-down car for him to drive. I know I'd be happy. 4-Runners are indestructible, IMO.

13. rjcornelia

rjcornelia Iron Pony

+1 for 4 runner. i drive a tacoma and have never had a problem besides the battery dying a few days ago, which is normal. the v6 is shared in both bodies and it's been reliable for the years i've owned it, and not to jinx it but it seems it will run forever.

14. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Was there a cutoff year after which Toyota fixed the problem? Just gotta know what I'm looking for when I'm browsing Craigslist...

I still like the Cherokees. Less weight and 1.0L more on the engine means it's gotta have decent giddyup.

15. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    If you buy a jeep,plan on rebuilding the diffs on a regular basis. That or upgrading it.

16. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

reliability in the long run , the 4Runner will be a better investment.

17. g-dub

g-dub Member

I own & recommend the 4runner ('99 with 165K & plans for 100K more). But it's a lot of vehicle for hauling 2 bicycles once or twice a week. Lemme get all presumptuous and recommend an alternative: How about a 4 cylinder tacoma? I drove my '80 SR5 2WD shortbed up to Holy Jim many times. Just drive around the mud puddles that the monster trucks get stuck in, and you'll be fine. Better gas mileage, cheap to buy, cheap to insure, will run indefinitely. You can put 2 brand new bikes in the back with the $ you save...

Oh, about the head gaskets--even the sainted 22R had that problem in the mid-80s. But here's the crazy thing, my '80 with the 20R actually healed itself...I sold it to my brother at 170K, and at about 220K the block cracked & started leaking coolant-meaning a new engine that would cost more than the whole car. So he kept driving it. Eventually the block corroded or something, and the leak stopped. He drove it until 300K.

18. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

w/o reading all the posts,
    My Brother had a jeep cherokee. Biggest POS. he spent more repairing it than it was worth.

If you go this route, make sure it's still under warranty.

OTOH;
    I don't have a 4Runner, but my lexus ( toyota) has 70k miles and not one, not one single, problem of any kind.

19. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    Bought a '98 Cherokee a year ago for 5k. So far, I've had to replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, upper and lower radiator hoses and it's going in for a water pump Friday (leaking from behind the pulley).

It's a 10-year old truck with 130k miles on it and you're bound to inherit a few problems when you buy used.

I LOVE it, though. Fits enough gear for two people, 2 bikes and camping equipment for the weekend and still gets 20 mpg on the freeway.

20. ryandood

ryandood i ride bikes

Student
    4runner for sure. A 4runner or a Tacoma are both such cool, ultimate road trip, go anywhere, RELIABLE cars. If I had to get a car now I'd be all over one of them.

VS.

American Cars.......

No contest.