Upgrading tires... questions first

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by mcgrath, Jun 1, 2005.

1. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    I've been reading the "what tires do you use post" and it seems that everyone is using much wider tires than what came stock on my bike. I thought it could be a cheap and very practical upgrade. So, I need to know everything on buying tires. Starting with, how do I know if the new tires will fit my bike.

The rims I have are stock and they are Alex Rims TA19. If that means anything to anybody. Can I put just about any tire on these rims?

The tires I have are IRC Mythos 1.95"

I made some measurements and came up with:
    Tread width = 1 7/8"
    Casing Heigt = 1 5/8"

I also made some rudementary clearance measurements. I figure I could go 3/4" wider on the back and front. And 1/2" higher before anything will hit my fork stabalizer (I'm not sure what you call it, but the semi-circle spanning the gap).

Simple math gives me a max width of 2 5/8" and max height of 2 1/8"

So, am I on the right track? Does the width of the rim play a part in choosing how wide a tire? What recommendations can you all make for me?

Sorry for the long post.

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    It would be a safe bet you can easily fit a 2.3 in the front and rear. However you'd probably be plenty happy running a 2.2 or 2.1 in the rear. For the front I'd highly recommend a Kenda Blue Groove stick-e 2.35, great tire with loads of grip. For a rear I like the WTB Weirwolf. I'd stay away from a stick-e compound rear tire as the rolling resistance is quite noticeable and they wear really fast. Everyone will have different tire suggestions so ultimately you'll just have to make your decision based on size, weight, price and recommendations.

3. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    Why run a smaller tire in the rear? Isn't that where you want a lot of traction?

4. Von-Diggity

Von-Diggity Moderator

unoccupied
    Home Page:
    Front Tire

The front tire is where most of the traction on your bike is needed for steering, hence the bigger tire on the front.

5. jinks

jinks New Member

Home Page:
    when I was told to run a big tire up front, it didn't make much sense to me either, but I've found my ability to control turns at speed to be greatly improved, especially on tight and swoopy single track. Mmm.. just thinking about it makes me want to go ride.

6. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    Still doesnt make sense

Well, I'm not doubting a large tire in the front, but rather why not put an equally large tire in the rear as well?

Is is to save on weight, do thiner tires climb better? There's gotta be a reason.

In any case, thanks for the responses. I'll look into the Blue groove. What about a blue groove in the back as well? Mis-matched tires is a little strange to me also. But I'm sure everyone else knows better than I.

7. TURNERob

bum
    Yes the bigger tire in the rear means more weight and you will notice that in climbing. I usually run the same size tire in front and rear except when going on a long ride with a lot of climbing I'll put a smaller/lighter rear tire on. As far as a Blue Groove in the rear I don't recommend it, a Kenda Nevegal seems better as a rear but like I said before, avoid stick-e compound rear tires unless you like a lot of rolling resistance and fast wearing tires. Mismatched front and rear tires are extremely common and more often than not a tire that works well in the front doesn't work well as a rear tire. Quite often tires are front and rear specific as different tread patterns work better in the front or rear. Also different manufacturers tire sizes vary, one 2.1 in a certain brand could be like another brands 2.3. A possible good place to start is to look on the mtbr tire reviews to get an idea of what is popular and likes/dislikes of certain tires. Also do a search on these boards, there have been tire threads made before for so cal specific riding.

8. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Also, some tires companies version of a 2.5 are equal to another tire companies 2.3. Sizes vary from company to company. Rob has experimented with many different tire combos and I'd say pretty much has a good grasp on what works best for our trails.

I have done a little experimenting and have concluded that running any tire with a STICK-E compound upfront is a safe bet. As far as the rears go, I have a 2.3 Weirwolf and run it backwords for better climbing traction. I have a 2.35 Kenda Kinetics up front (Stick-e) and like this combination.

For a longer ride with significantly more climbing than downhill, I'll throw on a 2.1 (kenda klaw). It actually does make a difference with a smaller/lighter tire in the rear.

I wouldn't be too concerned with mismatching tire brands.

9. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

things to consider , what sort of riding do you do?

i ride a lot of fast XC stuff, technical rocky stuff. i ride on 2.0's and before then i rode on 2.1's one thing, both tires being the same size. i have noticed is that your traction is dependent on air pressure and shock adjustment. too many people i have noticed have the wrong shock preload, rebound, damping and they blame the tire size for lack of proper traction.

my suggestion: stick to a 2.0/2.1, figure out the right pressure to have on your tires and adjust the suspension accordingly. keep in mind that you need to set it up for the speed that you want most control over.

my set up is: 45 psi up front and rear, with a fast rebound front and rear. this set up is hard at slow speeds but when i'm going 25 mph on anything the bike feels very smooth and the control is great.

i ride on:
    Specialized Roll-X's 2.0 nice tire, rolls very fast and good traction
    Panaracer Fire XC's 2.1 are a really great tire, i love the way they hook up

10. TURNERob

bum
    Wow Epic, that is some pretty high air pressure. I guess it all depends on your weight, bike set up and riding style. I run about 20-22psi in my front tires (with Stan's) and around 35ish in my rear.

Hey Pat, I've got a pair of hardly used Pannaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1's if you want to try them out. I'd sell them to you for $10 for the pair if you want them. I have 2 red sidewalled ones, and 2 yellow sidewalled.

11. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Regarding Dino's comment.
    My buddy and I were comparing our 2.4 front tires on Sunday.
    My Panaracer was a good 1/2 an inch wider that his MutanoRaptor.
    A huge difference.

For a back tire, I am using an IRC 2.25 Trailbear. It's cheap, hooks up well - a lot like a Panaracer Fire XC, and lasts and lasts.
    I like it a lot.

For tire pressure, it's a trade-off.
    Higher pressure rolls better, lower pressure has better traction.
    I generally run 30-37 psi, but I am pretty large.
    When I 4x4d in my Jeep, I ran 12 psi, but rolling at speed wasn't an issue.

12. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    Stupid question, but what is Stans and what does it do? Rob, I think that sounds good. Seems a little cheap though for both tires if they are hardly used. I think I need to just see for myself about the tire issue. I'll try and meet up with you this weekend for a ride and grab them from you then?

13. TURNERob

bum
    Hey I can double that price if you want :lol: I'm just trying to clean out my garage, I've had so many tires in there it isn't funny. Finally got a lot of them sold off.

Stan's is basically a kit that converts your tires into a tubeless system. You practically eliminate flats and get a better ride quality. Not something you will want to do until you find a pair of tires that you know you will want to keep on there for a long time.

14. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    I don't want to make you feel like you got a bad deal is all. Just trying to be fair. I'm new to the whole mountain bike thing, So I can't tell you really what I like. I know I don't like very loose steep downhills.... off topic, but any pointers on riding this?

15. TURNERob

bum
    No offense but I wouldn't like riding loose steep downhills on your bike either :lol: That bike isn't really built for that kind of riding, the geometry and fork just don't inspire confidence. Some better wider tires will help a bit and mainly just experience. Keep your weight back far, don't lock up the rear brake and feather your front brake to keep your speed under control.

If we hook up for a ride this weekend I'll bring those tires with me :wave: