Upgrade discussion

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    I saved all my pics from the site back to my hard drive, and deleted all my folders from the gallery.
    Tried to upload my stuff, and it's still all jumbled in the gallery. Guess I'll wait till you get it un_fubared.
    ...T

2. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Photo Problems Galore...

^^ The new galleries sure are difficult to deal with -- stuff goes in in higgledy piggledy order, and then it's real hard to get a good link for images to then put into threads. I do a lot of pictures, and the new way of doing things makes it difficult to get the work done. And then I noticed just now that pictures are not showing the correct size in threads!!

Look at this thread from this past weekend's Wrightwood ride:

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/ride-reports/52943-epiphany-wrightwood-death-march-2.html#post769925

All my pics are the same size -- 900x600 (within a pixel or two), but note that the portrait mode pics look larger than the landscape ones? All the portrait pcis are shown as 900x600, but for some reason all of the landscape ones are shown in the thread at 800x532 (?!?!?!?). However, if you right-click on one of the landscape images and break it out into its own window, it is then shown at full 900x600 resolution. Why is this happening? Can anything be done about it? (and please don't someone say Photobucket or Flickr or some such nonsense -- George had pics working before, and they should be working again now, regardless of our recent 'upgrade').

HERE'S MY CURRENT WAY OF MANAGING PICS:

I have resorted to building a new gallery for each ride (I used to keep everything in one gigantic gallery... 793 images in there now, but I can't add anymore -- prolly a good thing). Once built my view looks like this:

[​IMG]

NOTE: Now -- oddly -- this pic of my albums just above is 857 pixels wide and shows full width in here, while my pics which are 900 wide are reduced to 800 in my photo threads, such as the one I indicated above(?!?!?!). Huh???

The album to the left in the pic above (with the blurry bit of orange rider in the thumbnail) is in fact my recent Wrightwood album, so I click on it, and I get this:

[​IMG]

...and, down the page a bit, it gets worse...

[​IMG]

Add to that that the pics are not in 'order' -- that is they follow no perceivable order, and are not sorted by filename (that would be nice).

So, I now click the Edit Pictures icon in the upper right of the UI. That gives me this view of the thumbs inside the gallery, and they are all 600x400:

[​IMG]

I then right-click on the image and select Open Link in New Window, to get to the full-rez pic:

[​IMG]

NOTE: The above pic has been downsized! Why?!?! Why does it show smaller than the one that comes just after? You can see that the one below is much bigger (the true 900x600). Right-click on it to blow it out into its own window and you will see it's actually much bigger than shown here!! So effed up...

From there I select the BB Code in the lower right and paste it into a photo thread.

Wow!

Now, here's the pic put into this thread as outlined above, and it is the proper size!... :?:

[​IMG]

I found this to be the case also when I pasted a pic into a thread in the Ascendication Crue group area (that is in fact what led me to write this post), but not when pasted into regular threads out in the Forums. There, the pic above is in fact reduced to 800x600 (use the link to Eddie's thread above and go look for yourself).

What's really interesting is that if you right-click on the landscape images in the Eddie's thread (the one indicated above), the pic blows out to full size in a separate window. That means the thread itself is just not rendering things properly.

Can we get this fixed, please?

Thanks for your time and patience with this long posting...

- shud

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2010
  3. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

I agree- The Photo Album need some TLC...
    (Top priority if you ask me)

Upload issues
    Viewing issues
    Inability to locate older photos
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

](*,)

4. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    I was thinking this morning this might be a browser issue. I use Safari (rev 5.0.1) a lot on my Macs, and all of the above info relates to that browser. So, this morning I tested with Firefox (rev 3.6.8 ), and found using that browser that the portrait pics (verticals) are fine, but the landscape pics (horizontals) are actually bigger than 900x600 in the browser window, rendering them slightly blurry to the eye!

So, something is still up with the way the site renders included images, regardless of which browser I use.

Hope I am not beating a dead horse here...

- shud (flailing away)

5. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

It's not a Browser issue!

I have tried Safari, Firefox, Apple Computers (OS 10.3.9 and 10.5), Window XP computers, Windows 7 computers etc...

Something is definitely wrong with the Photo Album!
    -New Folder upload issues
    -Adding images to older folders
    -Problems viewing images
    Etc.

Here's what I see when I attempt to view OLDER folders
    I know- it will take time... Wish I had access to them!

Warning
    : fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: navbar in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3984

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/socaltra/public_html/gallery/header-inc.php(102) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: footer in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3984

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/socaltra/public_html/gallery/header-inc.php(232) : eval()'d code on line 2

6. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    ^^ Yeah, that's a PHP parse error you're gonna get from the old folders. I don't think they work anymore (although older pics posted from them still appear in older threads...), and George worked a while back on migrating all pics into the new galleries, but they ain't easy to work with (as indicated in several of the posts to this thread...). Did all of your old pics make it across to the new galleries during George's migration? I think Dirtmistress was also missing a lot of her older pics when the migration was completed...

- shud

7. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    If I switch over to the "vB4 Default" style setting my pics all lay out great,
    but are jumbled under the "--STR brown" setting.

8. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I don't think anybody is listening to the photo issues. Most of my albums disappeared when the site was brought back.
    After numerous requests, I've not gotten a response about it.

9. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    So, today...

I cannot get to a couple of my galleries! I see in my profile that I have 12 galleries, yet no matter what I do (log out/in, use a different browser) I can only see 10 of my galleries. Where'd the other two go?!?!?

Can anything be done about this issue (and maybe while you're at it pay some attention to all the other issues I have brought up in this thread)? Maybe just a reply on all this from Geo to start off with?

Here's the dealio: I know this is an MTB site, not a photo site, but it seems to me that probably 99% of the Thanks I have been given are from folks clicking Thanks when I post up RRs with lots of pics in them. PEOPLE LIKE PICTURES! Right? Probably most of allison's 12,000+ Thanks came from her amazing array of pics she used to post. So, why can't we get a bit of attention paid to the current bad state of affairs concerning pictures here?

I mean, even Dino is complaining about it, and he's no complainer!! Read all of my posts in this thread and you will see what I am talking about.

Please? George? Beuller?... Beuller?...

- shud

10. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Hi Folks --

sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I was just looking for some pics I know I have here and noticed that we are now limited to 20 galleries (used to be 10 -- see my last post above...). I created a new "test" gallery, loaded a pic into it and then looked again at my available galleries in my profile page, and the bottom-most one had just been dropped, showing me only the most recent 20. I deleted the "test" gallery, and that bottom gallery that had disappeared when I added the "test" gallery came back, keeping my count of galleries at 20. Damn. I know I have at least one more lurking in unavailable space out there (and it has a LOT of pics in it!!), and I would really like to be able to see all my galleries, not just the most recent 20 of them. Thanks.

- shud

11. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Sorry Shud, wish there was something I or the other Mods could do. I think only George can fix this issue.

12. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Thanks, Gene. This thread was started by George, so hopefully he will see new activity in it.

George -- If and when you see this stuff, it would be really great if the gallery count be set so that it is not limited, or perhaps we can ingest one gallery into another or something like that, just so we don't lose access to pics. Thank you.

- shud

13. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    :-kSince uppgrading to IE 9 the editing of posts has broken. For instance when I want to place a smiley here at the cursor it always ends up at the top of the post. It can't be dragged into the intended position. However it can be cut (ctrl-x) and pasted (ctrl-v). :)

The ability to drag pictures from albums to a post has also broken.