UC Cyclery

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by el_d00der1n0, Nov 15, 2007.

1. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    I've dealt with Casper (sp?) almost exclusively where sales are involved, and he loves to talk bikes. I went in there over a year ago, and I didn't buy anything, but he was content to just talk to me about various things (showed me how to tune my front derailler, explained the Horst link to me, demoed the brain...).

I finally bought a bike from them a couple of months ago. They have free lifetime service. I thought this meant they would give me a tune up now and then, but they've replaced cables, and help me get stuff straight that I installed after I got the bike home. It's about 50% the way I bought it, and they're still servicing it for free. Generally I don't have to leave it either. I've brought it by in the middle of the day on a Saturday, and they work on it right there right away.

Thanks guys. You rock. :bang:

2. .8down

.8down Active Member

why does this LBS sound so familiar? is it in SD?

3. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    Yeah. They're in the La Jolla/UTC area.

I paid just under MSRP to be honest, but I'm pretty sure no one else in SD that sells Specialized has lifetime service like that.

4. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Good peeps there! My buddy Laura is probably THE BEST in the county at showing new women how to ride, and Steve does an awesome job wrenching. Everyone there is super helpful :)

in

5. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I've brought a few people to UC Cyclery because they are a small shop and know how to run a business, AKA they will work with you on price. Most shops will just say sorry, buy the bike somewhere else. I bought a chain tool once and went cheap on it, against their recommendation. First time using it, I bent the crap out of it. They took it back and exchanged it for the nice one, no questions asked. They just said I told you so. :)

6. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    Why do they even carry the crappy chain tool then if they don't recommend it?

7. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Because there has to be something for the customer who doesn't want to spend so much $$ even if it's not the best quality. Not everyone is a hardcore rider :)

8. .8down

.8down Active Member

Ive never considered them as a LBS, maybe when I went to them it was owned by someone else, because I never got a good vibe from the workers...the last time I was in was like 6-8 years ago.

9. SnookDawg

SnookDawg cookie monsta

I live in the city so UC Cyclery isn't my LBS, but I gotta say it's a great shop staffed by great people. I was about 17 mi into a long road-ride up the coast with a buddy when I broke my Speedplay cleat. I limped into UC Cyclery and they hooked me up with a new cleat and told me to come back and pay for it later (didn't have much cash or a card with me). Anyways, they have been around a long time as I used to do business with them when they were off Governor Drive 15 years ago or something. Good shop with Spec, Cannondale, Trek/LeMond and a few other brands maybe.

10. danlorek

danlorek New Member

nothing but good things to say about them.

i do miss the supergo days where you could get things made by specialized on sale though. they are msrp pretty much all the way which is good from someone that benefits from the bike support part, but i do all the stuff myself so i don't benefit from that.

11. alank

alank New Member

I used to pass by there almost everyday when I was a student at UC San Diego - beautiful area - miss La Jolla a lot. Will def. stop by and say hi next time I'm in the area.