Turn & Burn 2014

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by oalmaguer, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Freak'n hot out there today. Ryan, Vincent and I formed a 3 man tag team. We brought tons of water, Gatorade and beer to keep hydrated (I know beer doesn't hydrate lol). Got to thank Barney, Amber and Duke for showing up just to cheer us on. Tami too. You rock! I did the first lap which was really fun because everyone/team started together at a slow pace almost as if it wasn't a race. Didn't take too long though for it to spread out. Ryan got held back on a lap due to a flat tire and had to walk back. The lap didn't count. Vincent, who usually hates racing appeared to be having a good time. We finished up with 8 laps total which put us in last place but since there were only three 3-man tag teams we finished in third place. Had a great time. Will do again. Thanks to everyone putting on the event. Thanks Ray for getting us on the team.

fart bag 1.jpg

Ryan chill'n
    fart bag 2.jpg

Sram showing off their latest components. That's the largest cassette I've ever seen. I picked it up and couldn't even feel the weight of it. Amazing. Same with the XX1 crankset. Gotta get.
    fart bag 3.jpg

Good seeing ChuckR and Prelude out there today too.

2. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

Way to go Ryan, Vincent, Grego!

3. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

Nice Job GregO! I cant believe that the kids busted that one out! Good thing you had beer for you! LOL thanks for showing the FB support and thank the kids too!

4. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Nice job guys!! I couldn't imagine riding in that heat let alone racing in it... Hope you shared your beer Grego, those young men deserved it! ;)

5. Preludedriven

Preludedriven Member

Graphic Designer
    Home Page:
    Nice to see everyone out there that made it happen in the crazy 105º scorcher! Everyone out there had a great attitude and the course was setup very well, stocked with 3 water stations. I decided to race solo, and immediately regretted it LOL. Legs cramped up by lap 5, but I pulled 2 more laps just because. Great event and I will be back again for the next one for sure!

Total tally: 35miles, 5,500ft climbed.

Got some of you on video after I finished my final 7th lap:

[video=youtube;_wSc8EM-F_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSc8EM-F_k[/video]

6. nebogabez

nebogabez New Member

Dang! looks intense! everyone out there is hardcore!! Great Job!

7. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    This was my first visit to a MTB race and I impressed by everything from the family feel to the dedicated riders. I do well in the heat but I'm sure I would have been damaged out there for that long. I shared the pits that Rey and Tammy assembled - thanks for the invite and good times! Very nice of Amber & Barney to come out and cheer too. A few photos from the race -

T&B1.jpg T&B2.jpg T&B3.jpg T&B4.jpg
    T&B6.jpg T&B7.jpg T&B8.jpg T&B9.jpg
    T&B10.jpg T&B11.jpg T&B12.jpg T&B13.jpg
    T&B14.jpg T&B15.jpg T&B16.jpg T&B17.jpg

8. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Thanks we always do our best to support, although mine was buried deep in the laundry, oops. FB BP rock!

They were kind enough to let me have their fair share lol.

Cool video James. I like they way everyone is going slow because of the heat plus saving their energy for the end. The guy walking, priceless. I only saw you one time out there, good times.

Thanks for the photos duke. Glad you had a good time. Will you participate in the next one? Last two pics are interesting: dad, right handed, son, left handed.

9. oalmaguer

oalmaguer xc.Omar

Sales
    I want to thank each and every racer out there this past Saturday. You are all "TRUE WARRIORS". Normal ordinary people do not do this.
    It takes "EXTRAORDINARY" people to get out there and battle in those conditions. I'd also like to thank my family, Al Wiscovitch's family and a few friends,
    who put on their work gloves and helped put this show together. And also our sponsors, that gave raffles prizes, so you could go home with some goodies.
    We will be going back to the drawing board to see how we can improve in this event and get our rider count higher.
    I know those 2 youngsters from "Team Fart Bags" are inspiring many people out there to get out and race.

We hope to see you at the Triple Crown Series. www.TripleCrownSeries.com

10. Preludedriven

Preludedriven Member

Graphic Designer
    Home Page:
    Thanks Grego! Yup that guy walking was exactly how I felt on my final lap on some of the steep climbs. 3 days later and my calves still aren't working properly LOL!

I didn't recognize you without the FB jersey, but I just watched my GoPro vid, and I did get you on camera for quite a bit in the middle section of the course. Should be done rendering tonight.