trail status page changed a bit

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, May 6, 2005.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    In an effort to try and have the trail status page be as up to date as possible, I have added recent topics from the trail talk forum on the trail status page.

Check it out here: www.socaltrailriders.org/trailStatus.php

Added this in the last 10 mins so it'll probably change a little bit. I'm going to try and find a way to make it so it shows the latest postings and not just latest topics (currently only shows something if it's a new topic, not a post to an already existing topic).

Currently shows last 5 topics. Is that a good number? More or less?

Is this even a good thing or just too much useless information?

I want input!!! please?

Also . . . added a subtle picture on the right side of the front page. I'll probably update this every week or so or whenever I get bored with one from the album. Dial up users need not worry, size of file is less then 4k (I'll try and keep it under 5k for future pictures too).

2. pshloss

pshloss New Member

I would rather see a succinct summary of current trail conditions (beyond color) than whatever the latest postings are. A lot of these postings have little to do with trail conditions. For example, Chino Hills had only 2 fire road trails open last I checked. So you could have a Conditions column that listed the open trails (if few) or closed trails (if few) or trail condition (overgrown, clear, rutted, etc.). Some of the existing info could be removed, and could allow 2 allow 2 lines per trail/park. For example, update time/daye could just be date, I don't think weather is needed. I'd like to see more parks/trails added. If you could include at least all OC parks and major Cleveland Nat Forest trails (Holy Jim, Blackstar, Silverado Mtwy, MDTT, Maple Springs, Trabuco) that would be great.

To make all of this easy to keep up you could allow the users to enter the info directly, but limit the size so they would be forced to be succinct. Someone could monitor to be sure it stayed "pure" trail status summary. I'll volunteer to do that if you set it up. I would also pull info from the trail talk forum and other sites like socalmtb.

3. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Thanks Pete, I also really want to get it to be a user driven collection of information. That way it doesnt depend on one person (me) and keeps going even when I have other things to do.

When I get blocks of free time I'll try and find something that can maybe integrate into these forums that does what you say. I'll keep in mind your willingness to volunteer :) Thanks a lot Pete, it's people like you who are gonna make this site real useful. :beer:

On the subject of making the site better. What's everyone think of getting up a set of rules since the user count is 100+ now? Just some general guidelines to keep out spammers and keep the discussion free of BS and fighting. Although there havent been any real issues yet (crosses fingers).