Trail riding with the kids.

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by eatsrice91, Jan 8, 2013.

1. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    I'd ride her around town a few times... get her familiar with the feel of front brakes then teach her how to use them both with modulation. I was surprised how quickly this process comes. I had my son traversing stairs and hills at the local park while he was getting used to the bike.

As For the DH stuff, stay in front of her. I've used my bike a few times as my son's brakes. Ha ha.

ENJOY! :clap:

2. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    Kids are usually smarter with their ability level than we are. I've seen adults try things they had no confidence in doing cleanly and hurt themselves because they did not want to be embarrassed or hold up a group, where most kids (under about 12 years old) will let you know if they are in a situation that makes them uncomfortable. On the downhills just stay at her speed and give some light direction ie..."more brake" or "less brake" or "get your butt back", just don't overwhelm her. Don't let her see that you are nervous for her because she will be nervous too. Lastly she will crash, let her, just make sure that she has a good helmet and gloves. My kids have all crashed and I keep them in the best helmets I can so that those little brains stay in tact, the worst reactions to crashes have always been when they scrape up their hands. A scrape on a arm or a leg is nothing and they get over it quick but on a hand it hurts every time they move it.

Get her comfortable on the trail then join us on our family rides!

1382299_10201761859265533_1646527508_n.jpg 018_zps723c3aac.jpg 022_zps6991c4aa.jpg 20130403_175633_1_20130404074534568_20130404082800741.jpg

3. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    longboarder: the pic of your kiddo coming down rockit still blows my mind, several times viewed.

thanks for all of the comments. will see what she can do this weekend.

4. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

Highly recommend getting out with longboarderj when you can. My kids won't ride anything over 1% grade with me, but get them out with other kids and they'll go down just about anything! I've found the key is consistency. We haven't ridden trails in awhile and it is definitely showing in their confidence level. You know your daughter best to know when to push and when to back off.

5. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    We will be starting up the weekly Wednesday afternoon rides agian this week. Going to try to spread the locations out more this year. That being said we will be meeting at El Moro on Wednesday (4-9-14) at 4:30pm and will be riding until about 6:30pm. Let me know if you are coming.
    [video=vimeo;88827835]http://vimeo.com/88827835[/video]

6. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    Rock-It with the kids.
    [video=vimeo;92996258]http://vimeo.com/92996258[/video]