Trail Conditions Pt. Mugu Sycamore Canyon(Old Thread)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by TMS, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMS

TMS New Member

Anybody out that way know what the current trail conditions are like? I have a camping trip slated for Firday and Satruday but I'm concerned due to the rain. I talked to someone at the ranger's office who said it didn't rain that too much and that the trails should be open. I wasn't too confident in her answer so I thought I would check with people local to the area. Any guidance would be appreciates.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  2. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

I'm headed down into the canyon in about a hour. I'll let you know.

3. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I live next to the park. I haven't been on the trails today, but I would expect it will be fine.
    Despite what the Ranger said, we did get a lot of rain... it rained steadily all night and into the morning.
    The trails in Sycamore hold up pretty well. You'll find some puddles, and patches of mud but nothing that should concern you too much.
    It hasn't rained consistently enough this year to make the creek flow, so the water crossings heading up and down the canyon should still be dry.
    The one section that could be muddy is the top 1/3 of the Backbone Trail (Wood Canyon Vista). That section passes through a shady section of bushes and can stay muddy for a few days. It's not deep mud, but it's the super slippery stuff. I wouldn't want to come careening down the trail and hit that stuff, it's like black ice.

Added note: Guadalasca has held-up surprisingly well to the rain recently. It may still be muddy as you climb past the post (bottom 1/4 of climb) and drop down through the creek before hitting the main part of the climb. It can stay muddy for about 50 yards up the climb and then should dry out.

4. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
    Please advise, I will be riding it this weekend...
    Sin Nombre, here we come..:)

5. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
  6. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    All of the trails that climb up to the Overlook except Hell Hill have sections of clay that can stop you cold. If you stay in the canyon including the singletracks you'll be OK.

7. TMS

TMS New Member

Thanks for all the info. I am going to hold off on going tomorrow and head up Sat morning as most of crew wasn't going to get there until tomorrow night anyway. If anyone rides there tomorrow any trail updates would be much appreciated.

8. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

I would reschedule your trip. All of the trails are very wet and I didn't even make to guad ot overlook. It's raining on and off right now. I had to hose down my SS only after 15 miles. I live right at the Via Goleta entrance to the park. Give it time to dry out.

9. TMS

TMS New Member

Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards. It's the second time that I have planned a camping trip there in the last two years and the second time it has been rained out. Oh well, next time.

10. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Disregard everything I said above! It rained some more last night and was raining again this morning. Upper Backbone and Guad are going to be messy.

11. TMS

TMS New Member

How's the road riding up that way?

12. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
  13. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Freakin' Awesome! Really. Tons of great climbs. Head South on PCH and take your pick of climbs up into the hills... Mulholland and Encinal are nice long climbs, Yerba Buena is a long, tough climb. Avoid Decker. If you head further South, Latigo is another nice, long climb. Pick another to descend back to PCH and back to your campsite. Scenery is beautiful. There might be some water running across the roads in spots, so be careful on the downhills... but should be fine. With the wet trails, I'll be out there on the road bike myself.

14. TMS

TMS New Member

Thanks again everyone. I bailed out on camping this weekend and will try again next month. Heading to Sycamore in Riverside tomorrow instead.

15. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    TMS what campground do you stay at? tent, RV, flush toilets?

16. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Point Mugu State Park Campground - In canyon, short walk to nice beach. RV's and Tents are all fine. They have nice toilet facilities and showers. I don't think any of the sites have hook-ups. There is a section of camping right on the beach (Thornhill Broome), but it can be very windy and exposed.
    There's also camping 5 miles South along PCH at Leo Carrillo State Beach. Nice campground too, but no immediate access to riding. You'll need to ride or drive up to Point Mugu/Sycamore Canyon for that.

17. TMS

TMS New Member

What Bullseye said, although I have never been there. I was going to tent/mini-van camp.

18. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Local weather said rain here is over by morning. The beach is best after a rain since the air is clear and the wind is slack. Should be a great weekend although Backbone and Guad will be very sticky with the volcanic mud / water mix, Hell hill would probably be the best way up since steep and sticky work together. Trails like Sin Nobre & Two foxes will be very good but a bit slow. Camping will be nice. Muscles are in season, Saturday and Sunday are biggest minus tides of the month so you won't get wet gathering dinner. I will probably be playing in the tide pools bowling giant sea hares and maybe snag a bug or two in the rocks. I will skip the trails and let the sun dry them out for the weekend. Sycamore cyn @ Pt Mugu SP has some nice sunny spots in the chaparral, nobody likes them so they will be open. Those spots are nice and sunny, perfect for a winter campout. I love winter on the bight.
    Happy trails

19. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    very sticky, not a good day to bike in the volcanic mud

20. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.