Downhill Tower - San Luis Obispo

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by kentonn, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I see where you're coming from, and if you'll notice, we make perfectly clear what you're saying. I'm not telling anyone where the trail is unless they are capable. hell, I'm not even capable of hitting F***. Ken (who started the thread) is a very good rider, but even he mentions the gnarliness of the trails.

Basically, I agree. nobody should be doing a crazy ride unless they are VERY good riders (actually good, not just think you're good). I would be wary of taking most of the people on this forum on F***. tower isn't nearly as bad, but can also jump up and crack a helmet in half when it wants to.

but pretty much, don't be so hard on people. tower is a rather well known trail, even without spreading it around on the internet. pretty much every mountain biker I came across in SLO knew about it, where it was, and knew whether they could handle it. same with f***

I'm will not (and I'm sure the same goes for any socal person who has seen and knows the trail) willingly bring people who cannot handle that level of DH trail to that kind of trail. it's just asking for trouble, and rather stupid.

2. SBSinister

SBSinister New Member

Tower is public land. It is used for fire crew training. It's also right in town and the whole trail can be seen from all over town, so people are aware of it. But this does not mean it's acceptable to rangers if they see you.

If being hard on people is what it takes to make it abundantly clear it's not your average resort black diamond, then so be it.

I was not keeping track of who was mentioning the trail names in the thread, but I saw at least a couple people do it, and it's pretty clear now what it is regardless.

Allow me to put it in perspective: I can handle Tower to the point where I am timing myself on the trail. It took broken bones and some blood to get there - I made the mistake of riding the trail before I was ready and had some bad close calls I wish I had not gone through. That said, I cannot quite ride 100% of the other trail at this point (that may change soon). If you think Tunnel trail is anything more than a flat paved road, they are not for you. You'll know when you are ready when you have no doubts about making it to the bottom.

My other potentially closed-minded observation is that you never ever see capable and experienced DH riders mentioning and discussing secret trails like that on a public forum. The people who can ride it 99% of the time do not talk about it publicly. SLO locals should know better..

Ideally I, and many others, would like to see this thread deleted (OP - hint hint).

3. Afoes

Afoes New Member

uh i live in slo county i know all the trails up here prolly some u dont no offense but me and my buddie have found trails people rode since that movie came out prolly made by the same guy im usually on top of the grade 2 - 3 a week and trust me nobody will find that trail unless they really look same with all the others

4. SBSinister

SBSinister New Member

I know which trails you're talking about by MG and Pick. I even assisted a bit in building it. I also know of a few others further up the grade that you probably aren't aware of, and other trails that nobody needs to know about all around SLO and further out of town - many. I think you have that part backwards. I am somewhat of a trail whore though...

It does not matter if people won't find that trail on their own (it's not supposed to be easy to find), but the part that draws concern is the talk of a large group ride up from LA full of people who are bound to get themselves hurt.

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I understand what you are saying and share your concerns, although with your tone, it seems that you do not care if you are liked or not. I have ridden all over the West and I have yet been to a area that does not have local only secret trails, many just as crazy tech as in SLO. If you really think a truck loads of LA riders with lack of skill are going to show up to ride your trails you are fooling yourself. Your posts are going the exact opposite of what you say you would like to not see. A few might, but large groups of out of towners are not going to show up it is just to far to drive. But be prepared as the population on the Central Coast grows those ranchers that turn a blind eye to local riders will not as more start passing thru their properties.

Dean

6. SBSinister

SBSinister New Member

Thanks for the response. Yeah, really don't care if I'm liked much as a result. That's not the point. These are not even my home trails.

That prediction is a result of witnessing that kind of thing happening in Santa Barbara. If people are willing to drive 5 hours from San Diego to SB they are willing to drive 4 hours or so from LA to SLO, and yes, by the busloads. Living in SB and riding there for 4 years, this was not uncommon, at all.

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I believe the truth is somewhere between our two views. If MTBing was that popular some enterprising tour bus operator would have seized the opportunity and be offering short-bus MTBing tours to SLO.

Dean

8. SBSinister

SBSinister New Member

Hahaha been to Mt. Wilson recently?

There are lots of areas in MTB where someone could capitalize on the activity but simply wont whether it be insurance or laziness or something else entirely (Big Bear for example, Mammoth for another).

Gotta remember, no matter how many riders you see up at Aliso on any given weekend, it's still a SMALL niche sport.

Short-bus tours though, I like that...

9. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    One of the reasons i've gravitated toward MTBing after spending 30 years surfing is that MTBers generally have a much friendlier and more positive outlook than surfers. I'm a local at a notorious reefbreak and understand localism well. It's a first for me to see an example of 'trail localism'. Along with Dean, I travel to many areas to ride, and everywhere i've been to, locals are only too willing to show visitors the goods (once they know you're a capable rider).

Just for the record, me and most of my friends are OC residents. Whether you know it or not, we have plenty of our own FR trails here with no shortage of gnar. We do not post the majority of this action publically, for reasons that should be obvious. You sound like an experienced rider, and should you ever find yourself here, PM me if you'd like to ride. When/if my friends and I make a trek to SLO, it will be with the same attitude and preparation we observe as on the rest of out FRing trips... with 100% confidence in our equipment and abilities, and the discretion to know our limitations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  10. SBSinister

SBSinister New Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to ride with anyone on just about anything (95% of the trails out there). I have no problem showing the goods as long as they're kept on the down-low. If I'm coming off as short, it's because of the delicate situation with the trails in question, and the level of trail they are that present the major potential for injury. Locals up there are also willing to show you the goods to, but you do need to know what you're getting into. Again, the internet is not the place for it.

I've seen the OC gnar, trust me. The SLO stuff is just loose and not bedded in and consistently nasty, not just a couple of bad sections. The only one that compares down there begins with V. The biggest difference is that there are NO go-around lines like the OC trails that have been ridden far too much.

My local stuff is in Simi at the moment (no longer in Santa Barbara) and I am always willing to play tour-guide. As I said, just PM me to ask. But what I won't accept is a busload of riders with cameras showing up...

11. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

so we agree comppletely. I'm more than willing to share the cool trails with people, but I'm not going to take someone who cannot ride those particular trails. I would safely say next to nobody in this thread can handle F***, but a lot of people could bumble their way down tower. I'm not going to head up to SLO and tell steppie to ride down it, he won't make it (no offense to steppie of course, it's a nasty DH)

sure, I may show somebody the trail (hike it with them), but I would also do that with the understanding that they need to keep things quiet. more of an informational excursion than anything.

so yeah, lets stop the bickering, it's going nowhere.

the thread does not need to be closed, but it needs to be understood by anybody looking at this, that the trails mentioned are VERY difficult, and VERY demanding. unless you know that you are able to handle steep, sharp, loose, nasty, droppy, right next to barbed wire fence and rusty fencepost trails, don't apply. go ride madonna or shooters or morning glory. all great trails in their own right, and nobody will think less of you.

I'm done. If anyone wants to go ride in SLO in 3 weeks, lemme know. I won't be personally doing F*** or probably not even tower. just screwing around with friends and doing stuff on the grade.

12. SBSinister

SBSinister New Member

Inevitably:

Hard trails -> internet exposure -> gapers -> gapers getting hurt -> trail being shut down/scrutinized -> a PISSED off majority on account of a boneheaded/careless minority.

This is the last thing I'll say about either of them. They are both downhill trails, in the purest sense of the term. Take that for what it is.

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Seriously just ignore this guy.

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I know SBSinister very well. Despite his apparent tone, he sometimes doesn't come off well, but he really means well and is just trying to protect the trails and some of the local builders who are friends of his. He's just worried that this trail will face the same issues of overuse similar to one of the trails down south that has a Kenda tire named after it.

As Bryguy17 said, I think you're all on the same page, but just try to keep a hush-hush on this as much as possible.

15. phillae

phillae New Member

I went to Cal Poly from 04-08.. There is a lot of good riding at all different levels. Work your way up to avoid disaster. I suggest riding Madonna mtn all the time. It has 3-4 different ways to get down including a fun rock garden and a decent climb to get those legs burning. The tower is good but mostly loose rocky dh sections and the climb is tough.. no full DH bike is gonna make it up, I see a lot of people pushing their bikes. But, you'll need one coming down, so allocate some time to pushing and don't whine!!! Now, montana de oro is really fun and has sooo many different trails to choose from... Take los osos valley road away from the 101 and towards the coast... just keep going and it turns into the state park....Spend a few weekends out there at least. Cuesta grade is cool because you can shuttle to the top - have a nice downhill and drop into poly canyon from those train tracks.. Tons of good terrain and lotta cool people. I just wish there were actual post college jobs around - maybe I woulda stayed... Cheers!!

16. purplehayes

purplehayes New Member

visiting SLO for a day!

Hey all, I live in Ventura and will be visiting SLO on 1-21-09. Looking for a fun dh trail to do that morning, something flowy/fast and hopefully long. If someone wouldn't mind PM me I'd be stoked. Or let me know of a good shop I could contact. Thanks!!!

PS... brand new to this forum (forum), so don't know all the rules yet! But I do and will respect the privacy of the trails. We have a couple secrets here too, so I know the routine!

Peace

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
  17. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

morning glory would be a good candidate for what you want. not really smooth, but perfectly flowy and long. you can shuttle it, but it's a rough road if you're in a car. also, it's not a sketchy trail at all (legally or difficulty-wise).

as far as shops: I personally like foothill cyclery, which is by the corner of santa rosa (hwy 1) and foothill blvd. same parking lot as the carls jr and new frontiers market. lots of cool people there, and some might be willing to show you around.

drop me a PM if you're interested in detailed directions for either shuttling or pedaling up

18. downhillnews

downhillnews New Member

HAHHAHAHAHAHA:lol: