Tour de France

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Kevin949

Kevin949 Member

Cervélo team owner Gerard Vroomen had this to say on Twitter: “Contador just gained a great chance to win, but he lost the chance to win greatly.”

2. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
  3. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Schleck was attacking and dropped his chain. Wasn't this his mistake, and not a mechanical like a broken handlebar or flat tire?

Plus, it wasn't just Contador and Schleck alone on the climb.

Don't get me wrong, I think Contador's a chump and I'm cheering for Schleck, but this is how the race goes. Also Schleck's threat of revenge is more interesting than another day of Schleck in yellow and Contador 30 seconds back. Snoozapalooza.

4. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    What happened to Lance's commitment to help Levi and the team? As far as I can tell he's not been riding anywhere near Levi or providing any support to anyone on the team. Looks to me like he's just riding along in his own world - maybe distracted by the DoJ probe and all the other media nonsense?

As for winning a stage, so far it looks like he's having trouble staying with the 3rd group on the mountain stages. IMHO, He should have abandoned; he's tarnishing his legacy further with every pedal stroke. As a long-time Lance supporter, I sure hope he proves me wrong though.

5. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

On the cobbles, Cancellara was hammering at the front, followed by Frank, followed by Andy. (The Versus 29.95 Tour Tracker is worth every penny). That crash was at the front of the field, not right in front of Contador. Contador lost time in the cobbles 'cuz he wasn't able to keep up with the classics riders hammering away on that stage. He was in the third group after the crash with Vino dragging him along. On that stage, the cobbles do what they always do in the classics...cause mechanicals and crashes...its the nature of that route on that stage.

Chainsuck is not in the nature of the route today on the final climb. Nor is the fact that Contador reacted, went past Schleck, saw nobody else coming, and kept on pressing. If he had respect for the race and his fellow competitors, as the defending champ, he would have gotten agreement to wait for Schleck until he caught up.

BTW...L'Equipe, and La Gazetta dello Sport, along with a lot of the crowd at the yellow jersey presentation in an area that historically is pro-spanish-rider, thought Contador was not sporting by himself attacking a mechanical after he was dropped by what appeared to be the better rider.

6. mingo1

mingo1 Yeti-Fat Boy

Workaholic
    Any mech. really sucks. But again, thats RACING.......

7. mingo1

mingo1 Yeti-Fat Boy

Workaholic
    Armstrong.......sorry excuse for a team player.....Someone needs to "bitch slap" that boy! Pull up those tightie black lycra shorts and start riding for the TEAM!

That would be a much better way of going out of the TDF by showing team work! C'mon Lance....get your skinny ass up front for a couple of stages!#-o

8. Pilas

Pilas Member

Apparently, Bernard Hinault was quoted saying something like Schleck maybe needs to learn to use his gears.
    By the way, this fair play BS is something new to road racing. Eddy Merck never waited for anybody. Bernard Hinault was known to attack in the feeding zone.
    What was Contador supposed to do? Wait for Andy and let Menchov and Sanchez close the gap in the GC?
    Contador took advantage of a particular situation. Please, do some research and you'll see that throughout the history of professional racing many races have been won due to crashes or mechanicals.
    I'll repeat this question again? Did Andy Sleck wait for Lance when he had a flat in the cobblestones? Andy should stop complaining and attack tomorrow, to prove that he is the strongest rider in the race.

9. mingo1

mingo1 Yeti-Fat Boy

Workaholic
    I agree.....Andy Schleck can do it if his teammates pull for him (That's right...I am talking about you Lance!).

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    As much as I dislike AC I believe what he did was fair. They need to take the politics out of racing. If you have a mechnical maybe next time you look for another componet that won't let you down. Seems to me we'd be the winner in such a situation as the technology would improve and we'd have less mechnicals ourselves. Waiting, because someone crashed or had a mechnical is stupid. It's a race dammit, treat it like one. There's no chivarly in bike racing. You try to pop their lungs and tear their legs off. That's racing. And it looks like this might have lit a fire under Andy. Let's see what happens tomorrow. I think they'll break with protocol and mount an attack right out of the gate. Could come down to some serious racing with Astana and Saxo going head to head all the way to the finish line. Without Frank Schleck though I think Astana might be the stronger team but will they work as hard for AC which most of the team doesn't care for?

11. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    HUH? When did Andy and Lance get on the same team?

12. Pilas

Pilas Member

You are damn right Mike. I think we are going to see some fireworks in the next two stages.

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Andy dude I am routing for for ya but even I can put a chain back on faster than that....plus get it on there the first time and not need a second try. Would have been a classy move for AC to wait but to many top contenders in that group for AC to wait for Ands mech.

Dean

14. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    They're on the I Hate Contador Team.

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I am talkin about the bottom where is shows where the yellow, white, green, polka dot and then lance is , ie pelaton, off the back etc...

It would seem to make sense to say where the contendors are not just Lance and jersey wearer. Well not it doesnt matter unless Andy lost the white jersey too.

16. BBBRAD

BBBRAD New Member

People really think Conti should have waited for Andy???? Really????
    A race where I see a competitor waiting for the guy he needs to beat is no race i want to see...try doing that in a horse race and you'll wind up in jail for race fixing.

Get better equipment, practice dealing with mechanicals better, better support crew etc, but seriously, don't expect the competition to wait for you.

I mean pretending to slip a chain is a great way to get a shame-free breather on a group ride (I have NEVER done this...;) but I had no idea it was suppossed to work on the tour...

17. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    No harm, no foul. Andy is down 8 seconds. He'll come back.

Or he won't ...

We shall see.

- shud

18. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Well, seems that Andy may have caused his own chain misfortune. So as much as I dislike AC and rooting for Andy to win, don't see AC doing anything wrong.

19. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    :clap: Awesome quote.
    The controversy on this stage will rage for years. Just finished watching and it was classic and heart breaking. On this day I fell for Andy!! He wore that jersey beautifully!

20. warmblood

warmblood Member

Well Lance should have the legs to lend Andy and Saxo Bank a hand tomorrow. He really hasn't done anything to help his team or himself in the last few days. We'll see tomorrow.