Tour de France

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Jun 21, 2010.

1. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I say gifted! And well it should be!

2. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Yeah, the nudge, nudge, wink, wink after the fact by Albert-Oh said it all -- "That's my maillon jaune, pal. Let's make no mistake about that."

Still, it is gonna be weird to see Alberto win the TDF without winning a stage. That's like the frigging world cup finishing 0-0.

I foresee some awesome one on one battles between Andy and Alberto in the coming years...

- shud

3. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Cav rubs it in to all sceptics today: taking the stage by several bike lengths and absolteuly no HTC-Columbia leadout train. Yep having a great team helps but guess he can do it alone too!

4. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
  5. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
  6. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    I'm not going to lie, this year is the first tour I followed stage by stage and oh man. It's so exciting. They say Contador is the better TT guy, but I hope Schleck can pull it off tomorrow.

7. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
  8. dirtmistress

retired
    Google the stages to see if they are flat,undulating or mountainous.
    Decide what excites you...in bike racing!
    Sprint stages you can FF to 6k from the finish.
    Undulating stages you can flip through and look for high points.
    Mountain stages you can watch beginning to end because even if the racing is dull in the beginning, the scenery will have you planning a trip there at some point in your life!
    Time Trials you can just go to the last two riders.

9. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    When someone would unexpectedly blow the doors off their fellow riders, we used to ask if they'd been doing "secret training missions." Man, I hope Andy's been doing some secret ITT training missions and blows everyone away tomorrow.

If not, maybe he could just use a breathing strip on his nose like AC and a lot of riders. "Legalized oxygen uptake" (the package says improves airflow up to 31%) could make the critical difference, and you get a cool tan line to boot :)

10. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    So Contador Wins the Tour by 39 seconds. Just the same time he gained when Andy's chain slipped off. He was 31 seconds behind him prior to the "Chain Stage". He ended that stage 8 seconds ahead. Andy should gold plate that chain and gift it to Contador......

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

Andy should attack in the final stage, and let Fabian pace him to the finish. Then after the race he could pat Alberto on the cheek and make some comment about unwritten rules, attacking the yellow jersey..

12. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

What is crazy is that if the chain issue had not happened they would be tied right now.

13. bobcat38

bobcat38 Member

USPS letter carrier
    If Andy knew how to shift properly then the whole thing would be moot.

14. dirtmistress

retired
    If there was no drama, the Tour would have been dull!
    Stuff like this keeps the fans talking for years to come!

15. kioti

kioti Active Member

I didn't watch every second of the Tour, but I did see Andy have drivetrain troubles on three separate occasions: the attack at the top of the climb, the individual time trial, and when he and Alberto were clowning around on the final stage (the last requiring a bike change). I'd suggest a new mechanic and/or component group.

Regardless, he surprised most everyone in the time trial, and showed a lot of class throughout the race. A great star for the future!

Its was good to see a Tour with all the heavy hitters, and no(?) eliminations due to drug use, and while the old guard faded from injury, bad luck or fatigue, the new generation roared in to take their place.

16. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    I'm wondering if that mechanical on the final stage when Andy and Alberto did the fake breakaway was a true mechanical or if he was just rubbing it to Alberto...... What I would have laughed is if in that fake breakaway, Cancellara cranked it, joined them and then pulled Andy into a real break, bringing him into Paris with enough time to take the Tour away from Contador. Nothing other than tradition that says that the last stage has to be a formality for the GC guys.... Nothing other than tradition that says you don't attack the yellow jersey when they have a chain slip..... Not counting the Prologue and the Chain Slip, Andy Schleck outroad Contador and should have won.

Next year......

17. dirtmistress

retired
    Rules are rules boys!

Team started final Tour stage in unauthorized jerseys

The UCI has announced that it is launching disciplinary proceedings against Team RadioShack “for breaching the regulations governing riders clothing.” The American squad took to the start of Sunday’s final stage of the Tour de France wearing an all-black kit advertising Lance Armstrong’s Livestrong charity rather than their usual RadioShack jerseys, but failed to inform race commissaires beforehand.

The official start of the stage was delayed to allow the RadioShack riders to change back into their regulation colours. After the race, the RadioShack team took to the podium for the presentation of the team classification prize dressed in the contentious Livestrong kit.

A statement issued on Monday said, “The UCI regrets that an initiative for a cause as worthy as the fight against cancer was not coordinated beforehand with the Commissaires and organisers of the event. This could have been done whilst remaining within the rules.

“Team RadioShack’s incorrect behaviour led to a 20-minute delay to the start of the final stage, which could have disrupted the televised coverage of the race, placing the Commissaires under the obligation to impose a fine on each rider and the team managers.

“Team RadioShack subsequently breached the regulations by wearing an incorrect uniform on the podium for the protocol ceremony having been instructed not to.”

During the stage itself, RadioShack manager Johan Bruyneel vented his frustration via Twitter, fuming “Ok people! Now it’s official! To be a race commissar you don’t need brains but only know the rules! Their motto: ‘c’est le reglement!’”

It appears that such comments have also stoked the ire of the UCI, and Bruyneel will be called before the UCI Disciplinary Commission to explain his remarks, which the UCI statement deems “utterly unacceptable” and offensive “to all the Commissaires working in cycling.”

The UCI also announced that as RadioShack’s black jersey were worn in an attempt to raise awareness of the global flight against cancer, any fines levied in the matter will be donated to the Swiss cancer charity Ligue suisse contre le cancer.

Attached Files:

18. dirtmistress

retired
    Time for Greg and Floyd to get lost!!

The following is an open letter from Dr. Michele Ferrari to Cyclingnews. On Friday, July 23, Cyclingnews published a blog from Greg Lemond titled ‘Bravo to the new generation’. Lemond, a three-time winner of the Tour de France and staunch anti-doping advocate has written a blog for Cyclingnews since the start of the Tour in Rotterdam.

You can read ‘Bravo to the new generation’ here.

Dr. Michele Ferrari is an Italian coach who has worked with the likes of Moser, Merckx and Armstrong. On October 1, 2004, Ferrari was convicted of sporting fraud and abusive exercise of the profession of pharmacist and sentenced by Judge Maurizio Passarini.

On May 27, 2006 the Italian Court of Appeal in Bologna absolved Dr. Michele Ferrari of all charges.

After reading Mr LeMond's blog article "Bravo to the new generation" which concerned me personally, I felt compelled to compose an appropriate response in order to clarify a few of the issues presented in his letter:

- I have never met Erwann Mentheour, nor had any kind of relationship with him, as resulted and documented in the proceedings of my Court Trial, during which the issue of Mentheour was actually dismissed already in the preliminary phase and archived as completely unfounded.

Moreover, the same Mentheour never declared in front of Judicial Authority that the “dottore” was in fact Michele Ferrari.

His "Veritè sur le dopage" is rich of fanciful lies such as the one of the “solcinella” potion, which Greg LeMond actually reports about in inaccurate and slanted fashion.

- I have never coached more than twenty professional cyclists at the same time. In recent years, less than half of that.

- It is not true that the athletes paid for my services with a percentage of their salary: it is a false legend, originated from the so-called "Dossier Donati".

Such a document is a collection of anonymous confidentialities on doping in sports, rapidly dismissed and archived by both Sport and Ordinary Justice due to total lack of verification/confirmation: in other words, nothing more than a festival of “it is said” and a triumphant display of “it seems”.

It is probably from this dossier that Greg Lemond drew the “rumours” and quotes the numerous “it was saids” in his letter.

:-sBut what Greg does not know, or pretends not to know, is that one of such “confidants” actually clearly mentions his name and that of his doctor in relation to doping events.:-s

- It is absolutely false that cyclists contacted me for doping programs: some came to me at first with such request, but never came back twice.
    For 30 years I have been developing my coaching methods and organizing training programs for top-level cyclists, and have been pretty good at that, if we consider that so many utilize my evaluation protocols and copy my work methods.
    Sure, doping has always been rooted in the world of sports and cycling in particular; from my part, I have always tried to dissuade, proposing legal and efficient alternatives: training, nutrition, altitude.

- Finally, Greg LeMond evokes the deaths of "many cyclists" and deviously associates them to doctor-patient relationships within the peloton.
    I call upon the courageous Greg to name any name.
    What is certain is that none of the athletes I coached ever died, nor had any “sudden illness”, be it daytime or nighttime.
    Unfortunately, sudden deaths among sportsmen have always existed, as among common people, and have too often been instrumentally assimilated to doping.

Dr. Michele Ferrari

Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed

19. kioti

kioti Active Member

I admire Lance and all the other riders who took hard falls and still finished the Tour. Cadel with a broken elbow, Jens all torn up; even Andy standing on the side of the road looking like it was over..

Not sure about Team Radio Shack's decision to wear those jerseys on the final stage though. Hard to believe the Team Manager thought it was a good idea. Maybe if they'd run it by the officials and at least pinned on their race numbers.. Seemed to detract a bit from the well-deserved attention the race leaders earned.

Now, didn't I hear something about an upcoming race in Spain?

Oh, and is it too soon to start the "Official Andy Schleck Thread?"