Tour de Foothills

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by F.A.D., Sep 20, 2010.

1. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    the map is the same in the middle parts as the 64 course and the latter half is easy to figure otu as there are not many streets to choose from. The parts after Boneli and before Glendora is the hard parts i must agree. I just got conformation yesterday i am signed up for the 100.

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Chris, check your AOL email I sent you the route map with an elevation graph.

3. khai

khai New Member

mike, can u send the map to me thanks? [email protected]

4. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering
    Hey anybody else from the Orange County want to carpool? LMK!

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Sent Khai.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Just another bump for folks who don't have plans for Saturday. Come on out and do this great fall century. Keep an eye out for me. I'm the little guy with the big mustache.

7. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    Well I have to drop out because I'm sick; if anyone wants to use my registration they can but I don't think its transferable. I get sick 2x a year why now!

Everyone have fun and ride safe

8. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
  9. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Really really Great ride. Did the. Highlander century 100 miler and was able to hang and finish with the front pack. Couldn't contest the sprint in the end but came into the finish with the top 5-6 guys. Not bad for a 45 year old cat 4, finishing with a bunch of pros and cat 1s.

My third tour de foothils.

Wind in Fontana really bad. Though as we were dropping down back it was a tailwind. We hit 58 mph on one stretch. Climb up Mt Baldy road wasn't as bad as last year. Less heat. I ended up dropping back, and to my amazement the entire front pack stopped atthe turnoff to the ranger station to wait for me! Big thank you to them for that!

Now it off to Dominguez hills for the CBR crits today.

Looking forward to doing this again next year!

10. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering
    Well, I did the century yesterday....the ride was walk in the park for me even with headwind in Fontana. I hit 55 mph with tailwind on one section and trying to avoid the some pothole. After Fontana Park Stop.... I zooming down Cherry RD and completely miss the right turn onto Victoria and end up by the California Speedway and try to my way back to Arrow Blvd. So I end up doing 110miles...but I was able to finish the century in 5:27:45

11. davidB

davidB Active Member

Mile 0-25 was a sprint trying to catch a couple other STR members on here that I had let get away from me while my GPS tried to find a signal at the start. Riding out of your mind on your own still leaves you way behind the big groups. I caught them at the first aid station.

Mile 26-50, meh. Rode with duke777 and we did an ok pace, but I was in no mood to go fast anymore. I was struggling on the flats for some reason. My legs were fine, but my knees were causing problems.

Mile 51-75, initially felt ok, but got worse as my knees tightened up on the flats. It seemed like every mile I was unclipping just to stretch my legs. Felt great on the climbs, the muscles were there and wanted to go, so up the climbs I went with no problem. The flats hurt like hell for some reason.

Mile 75-finish, felt awesome. I kept pulling a pace slightly faster than I needed to, and climbing into the headwinds in Fontana just added a tad of resistance it seemed. Knees felt great, leg muscles felt better, and I'd stand up to hammer just because I felt like it. We finished and I was feeling the greatest I had been all day, still not sure why that was.

12. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    Great day to be on a bike! had a great time mixing it up with a bunch of people I've never met before. Since there were a slight miscommunication between Duke777, DB, and I, I somehow ended up about 20 minutes ahead of them up untill aid station 2 where I decided to wait for them. I suffered up the remaining climbs(it may have something to do with lugging my fat azz uphill....)but felt OK on the flats. Then the winds..... I've never ridden in winds before where I felt like I was in a 20degree banking just to stay upright or not get blown off the pavement..... Those few miles were a total white knuckle moment for me, but the tail wind portion was just ridiculous. I've never gone so fast and not feel a breeze hitting me.
    dB led the rest of the way back to the park (he was obviously feeling good where I was pretty spent by that time and duke 777 somewhere in between).

The post ride lasagna was off the hook!

This was the first organized roadie event for me and it was pretty cool! I'd do this again. definitely a different vibe than a MTB event, but still not bad.

I think I even had a Pain Freak sighting at the second aid station, but could not confirm.

13. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    LASAGNA WAS THE BOMB for mass prepared food! Then again most anything does taste good after 100 miles. Congrats on your first rodie event. It was great even considering the wind...that just made the Fontana rest stop that much better as their supplies didnt run out. Anyone have an idea how many people actually did the 100, it seemed small?

14. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    This ride is my road clubs signature ride. We volunteer to do SAG and be ride marshalls and it was another great success. I only helped two folks this year. One lady took a wrong turn and ended up on the century route when she was trying to do the metric. She was almost in tears. I fixed her flat and told her of another way back that she would be able to do without to much effort. Her longest ride up until that day was 50 miles. She made it back about 45 minutes after me and she was stoked she had rode 77 miles. I on the other hand had a bad day. I went out with my hammerhead buddies and we set a mean pace. I was not feeling worked or tired in the least but at about mile 23 something happened and I cramped like I've never cramped before. Both quads and both calves almost all at the same time. I limped into the next SAG and seen they were still there waiting for me. I told them to go ahead as I was pretty much cooked. Problem was the cramps, as I had plenty of energy and strength left. I have never bailed on a road ride and this is a relatively easy century as far as century's go but this was to be my first. So I got off course and worked my way back to the finish. I got home that night and after a while the only thing I could figure was it might be my blood pressure medicine. So I looked it up on WebMD and sure enough it says right there that cramps will probably occur with extended exercize. Next morning I got up and did another 40 miles to see and no cramps and I went hard and climbed even more. Still was fun riding with Imallslo, Good Ol Slappy, New2mtb and a few others. I thought I saw DavidB go by me but he looked like a man on a mission and I don't think he heard me as he flew by. I ended up withb 65 miles and just over 3K of climbing.

15. psyclerider

psyclerider Member

Photojournalist
    This was my 1st Tour de Foothills. I wanted to be a vender but decided I would enjoy the day and ride instead. I did the metric century in order to finish early enough to jam down to Vail Lake to cheer friends in the 12 hr MTB race. Next year I hope to do the century and have someone cover the vender booth for me.
    Great event!

16. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

This is one of my favorite rides to support just about goes right by my house and Upland is a great host of the event. Congrats to all of you doing this...didn't get up on Baldy Rd. till 11 had to work but was awesome seeing you all very impressive to say the least especially on the climbing side!! AND Mike is a freaking animal on wheels sorry to hear about the cramps saw a rider stopped in his tracks at the Baldy turn trying to get them stretched out. You're the ultimate ambassador for our sport Mr. Pain Freak !!
    ** If any of you were on Baldy Road between 11 and noon shoot me an email with race # and jersey and I'll look through my pics to send back... [email protected]
    Again great job everyone...
    Oh and I couldn't see through your gear who gave a "hey Sharky" past the ranger station sorry ={ but great seeing so many friends till next year!!
    ^_^

Edit: will post a link if I get them in an album...

17. davidB

davidB Active Member

was that me (and freekengo)? I spotted your car from way above and knew you had to be down there shooting photos. I think I was waving at you a good 1/2 mile before we reached you. Anyway, check your email

18. new2mtb

new2mtb I'm a newbie!

Slacking
    I think that was Khai and me.. LOL. sending u pm if u have any pics! thanks!

19. new2mtb

new2mtb I'm a newbie!

Slacking
    It was def a great ride. Very painful headwind though. It made the climb to baldy flat =), but overall was great.

20. IMALLSLO

IMALLSLO S G V

Blame that on SB and Eric :>) Im just a wheelsuck