Totally, Completely, Brand-Spanking New

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by NPSgroupie, Sep 9, 2011.

1. NPSgroupie

NPSgroupie New Member

Billing
    I was up in Mammoth for Labor Day weekend to see Devil's Postpile and we shared a tram with a bunch of people with bikes. I never realized that they had lifts to take you up the mountain so that you could ride down. If I had, I might have tried to mountain bike more than the one time I did, in Mammoth, 15 years ago. All I could think was, "I want to go to there!" So I have a few questions and I am hoping that the people on this awesome site can lead me in the right direction:
    1. Is 28 too old to try to get into mountain biking?
    2. Does anyone know of any good paths that would be good for a beginner (I live in the Inland Empire)?
    3. Should I expect to get hurt? Like, really really hurt?

2. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    You are never too old. Ride what you feel good with, walk the sections that you have questions about then decide if you want to ride them. Look at the calender for social rides. And welcome to STR.

3. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

To answer question number 1 you're not old enough! Seriously the average age of an MTBer is probably mid to late 30's. It's never too late to start anything. Get out there and have fun.

4. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

28 is still pretty darn young, I wish I started when I was 28. Sycamore canyon is a great training ground in the IE if you live close. What part of the IE are you in?

5. bing!

bing! Active Member

You can get hurt. Buy an MTB riding book, read a bunch of how to ride articles and get some training if you can. No need to reinvent the wheel. And its cheaper than the hospital.

With care and knowledge, youll be fine.

6. just cruizing

just cruizing New Member

i just started a year ago, i'm 45. Just don't rush into what others are doing, ride your own pace. I don't let my ego get in the way and will walk down anything that looks too steep. It does get easier the more you ride.

7. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    1. Yes and no-mostly NO. You probably won't be a "pinner," like the guys who started racing bmx when they were 7-years-old but it's never too late.
    2.You live in SO. Cal. it's a "mecca," of mtn. biking. Get a bike and hit up sycamore.
    3.YES. You will get hurt. It could take an hour, it could take years, you might get attacked by a mtn. lion- I will bet you a $1,000 you WILL get hurt.

8. NPSgroupie

NPSgroupie New Member

Billing
    These are great responses - thank you!! I am in Fontana but I will go anywhere (Like to San Diego just to hike Torrey Pines... oh! Apparently that is the direction Sycamore Canyon is!) I would have NEVER thought of walking my bike, so reading some how to books and articles is a great idea :) As for training, I only have one friend who is into this sport, and he lives in Washington state, so my only option is to go at this alone. As for the social rides, I am at a very beginner status, so I feel like I should wait to join one when I don't have to worry about fainting from exhaustion!

9. NPSgroupie

NPSgroupie New Member

Billing
    Seriously, getting eaten by a mountain lion is one of my greatest fears. ESPECIALLY on the Claremont Loop because the picture they have to warn visitors is so real looking.

10. Mongo

measurement tech.

the social rides are NO DROP rides.. just look for rides that are noob friendly.. or better yet.. post a ride. Let people know where and when you want to ride and ask for a guide.. THEY WILL COME.. Sunday morning Fully loop would be good for you..

11. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

I find graphical warning signs to be the most effective. Most people never read warning signs pictures work so much better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mountain lion attacks are super rare... its the cougers you have to watch out for. :lol:

[​IMG]

12. 1SickFury

1SickFury New Member

just wear a bear bell and you should be fine. Strap it to the bottom of your saddle, or anywhere it will jingle easily.
    [​IMG]

13. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    1) 28 is not too old. If it was I wouldn't be riding right now
    2) there are plenty
    3) yes, you will definitely get injured

14. NPSgroupie

NPSgroupie New Member

Billing
    That is so weird! I am watching Happily Divorced -- starring Fran Drescher -- right now!
    Anyhow, where is the Fullerton loop (I used to live in La Mirada so I am familiar with the area)?
    And does anyone know about the San Dimas Night Ride? That is kind of close to me.

15. NPSgroupie

NPSgroupie New Member

Billing
    What does the bell do?

16. Mongo

measurement tech.
    meet at the fullerton court house parking lot Sunday morning. google it for directions.

17. 1SickFury

1SickFury New Member

It jingles and rattles as you ride so as to alert animals of your presence and scare them off. This way you don't surprise a bear and her cubs, or a cougar, or any other animal for that matter.

18. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    they have local hills @ Cherry and Southridge. Mtn Lions are a rare sight, very rare. They are extremely fast and you cannot out run them. No your not too old. Work on your climbs. Hurt happens. You will get hurt, it is just part of the ride. I recomend a crash course on a single track near you.
    Happy Trails

19. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    i wish i started riding at 28 or earlier. the sunday fully loop ride is a great place to get started. JSD and the crew there will take care of you. i try to set up newbie/social rides at least once a month so keep an eye on the calendar. newbie/social rides are no drop so you don't have to worry. you might also want to check out chino hills state park from the brea side as well.

tiki, i'm diggin that cougar sign. btw i'm 100% sure i have more than 5" exposed now. ;)

20. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

The couger sign was borrowed from another post, but still one of my favs. As for getting injured, it's good motivation to keep your body in decent physical shape. I've had several crashes where I thought for sure I was gonna get more hurt than I did. But yes you will get hurt mountain biking. BTW do you already have a bike?