To The Mods/Red Hot Sloth

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by BFloFoxRider., Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I see what you are saying.

I agree those are the things that make this forum different than mtbr and other forums. STR is more of a family and its more personal. I think we should be aloud to post things we are proud of. Who is to say what qualifies to be proud of or not.

I agree with you. I also think we need a place that people can really Bond over everything. (Chat out loud)

We will also have to show people in a nice way where to post those things as to not sound like a elitist a$$ hole mtn biker. That scares cool people away from forums. Its up to all of us to help educate the new people. I'm far from good at posting things properly. I always mess up when posting things for sale ha ha as most of you know.

Spread the love !!!

2. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    why dont we get like an im like on the forums page, but thats on the main page where we can chat about our nonsense?

3. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    Chit-chat aside, why is bighit on the hot seat?

My posts are on topic about 5% of the time...that's equal to the % of posts that I spend trying to rickroll people!

4. schleppp

schleppp Active Member

As long as YOU don't say anything I am fine!!:lol:

Hey Sniffer, how are you feeling these days, over the illness and back on the bike yet?

+1

I derail my own threads more often than not!

5. station

station Is this thing on?

HAHA, oh man. I'm a chatty Cathy (haha, Chatty Cathy!!) too. I just posted about becoming a supporter (totally late to the party) Also my big fault is posting about questions other people have posted answers to 100 times. I'm so bad at searching older forums. Also, a friend emailed me a link to a video where some super hot chick is on her specialized then pulls over on the side of the trail and starts to *a-hem* with herself. I thought about posting a link for pure humor but then realized there's probably a family vibe here that I would surely offend. :)

Also, it's hard not to post a "Holy crap cute sauce" thread when you see a picture come up in rotation of some sh@t together hyper-cute mnt bike chick with arm tattoos. (who's boyfriend would probably punch my lights out)

6. Seat Sniffer

Seat Sniffer New Member

about the whole "post whore" thing, the site has a built in buffer in the code which limits posting by seconds apart. If its really that big of an issue (although I haven't noticed anything wrong with my STR experience due to someone posting too much) then up the buffer.

getting there!:) thanks schlepppie!

7. station

aromatherapy working?

8. Seat Sniffer

Seat Sniffer New Member

crap!(no pun intended) i missed that one...

9. station

you also missed my sweet aromatherapy joke. Seat Sniffer? n/m

10. Seat Sniffer

Seat Sniffer New Member

:lol:I totally grenaded on that one. it took me a couple seconds. At first I was like...aromatherapy? waah?...oh! ok, i get it.

and this post:lol:

i should probably lay off the aromatherapy, that's probably how i caught the hantavirus or SARS or whatever the hell it was.

11. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    As an end to this, I was thinking and here is what came to mind. Outside of STR "BIGHIT" I am a human being with feelings, not some bot on the web. I have two wonderful kids that I try to raise the best I can. I really dont care what people think ( to an extent), but here on STR I felt I could convey my thoughts in life.I may be mistaken. I can see how multiple posts are annoying, but for real, how has anything I posted affected anybody in a negative way?Yea I know :here( yea I have a real name) Danny goes again ,but honestly give me the benefit of doubt until we meet face to face.I have never in all the time on this forum ridiculed,maimed, or criticized anybody for anything they have said.Yes I did question myself; should I click "post Quick reply".Im sure this is pointless and will be dust in the wind.But I will cut down on my post , im not here to cause problems, but to enjoy STR.Thats all, hope to ride with those I have not meet, no more drama!I will be lurking for posted rides.
    Thank you all,positive or negative.

12. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

the way i see it if its important it will come up on the front page of the forums for more then a second and i might read it, the forum is growing more and more it inevitable that posting is going to go up. Also the fact that this is a forum where the people posting actually know each other makes it easier to post off topic subjects. I think that Bighit posting about trouble with the kids and everyone else posting random things that they think other people would be interested in is one of the things that keeps this from turning into MTBR, I think enough bike related things get posted in the other sections other then general and the pub. As for unread posts am i the only person who doesnt pay attention to that thing? I only read things that look interesting as I scroll through the forums.

13. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    What I see a lot of is: 2 way conversation between 2 members when they should use the PM function instead. I move a lot of threads to the "pub" because it seems to just turn into a "non" bike topic.

Also, there is a "CHAT" room on here as well, Click Forums and scroll to the bottom. It's called "chatbox"

BTW, I just merged "To The Mods and RED HOT SLOTH" threads, cause it's the same discussion.

14. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army

I knew abuot that, but is there a way to get a "members only" chatbox for the main page as well so we can watch the threads as well as chat?

15. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I don't think anything has changed on this board since it started. It's all just on a MUCH bigger scale, so it seems more rampant.

There has always been non-related bike stuff posted. There has always been threads that turned into nothing more than a 2-way conversation. Everyone here as done it at some point. Some more than others maybe, but it has always been done. Anyone throwing stones in that regard is being hypocritical.

I always thought this board was a cool place for friends to come hang out and chat. I don't see the point in complaining, but that's just one jerk's opinion. It's just a message board people. It's not real life.
    Peace.:beer:

16. mntbiker12

mntbiker12 Quest: Singletrack

Marketing Director / Marketing Consultant
    I look at this way, when I'm on a ride with a group of folks, the conversation is rarely all MTB, all the time. So this board is much the same way, a group of MTB'ers e-hanging just shooting the you know what. Some times we talk bikes, sometimes we talk other stuff, sometimes we talk crap.

In the immortal words of Mike Tyson, "if you don't like it, turn off your station!". That's a little harsh, but we all choose to read or not read if we like. Pretty simple. I don't mind it. It works and we don't need any censorship beyond our own.

My only gripe is that I wish all posts were classified either Turner content or non Turner content - since we know Turners suck ;)

17. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Probably only something George can answer. The only thing I can think of to do is maybe open 2 windows. :?:

I agree that it has not changed, just more of everything. Just can't keep up with all the post, imformative or not.

Still is a great place IMO, just seems a lot more drama lately that's all.

I was ask to become a MOD and accepted, wouldn't change it. I like getting on STR late at night in the wee hours and merging threads, moving them to the proper forum or deleting post to streamline the thread better.

Before when I was really bored, I go and correct some misspelled words. 8-[

18. CalEpic

CalEpic member

STR is a public forum and the Pub is for non-bike related posts. As much as many of us may not like the incessant posting of nonsense from some members, I'm not sure it makes sense to try and regulate it.

As STR grows I would ask that we each use common courtesy when posting - If you're not adding anything useful don't hit that submit button.

As Gene mentioned, the amount of two way chat that should be done via PM's is getting out of control. Going forward these types of posts as well as off topic thread derailments will be deleted when noticed. Deleting threads is not something any moderator takes lightly. Please make our jobs easier by thinking before posting.

Craig
    STR Moderator

19. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I think that if using PM's were easier(*) it would happen. Change the software so that if a person replies to a post (by quoting someone) there should be a button to submit the reply as a PM (to the quoted person)!

(*) OK I'm lazy, but count the page clicks and page displays to do a PM.

20. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

The Pub

The Pub is the best Forum:bang:I need to take my agression out on The Chowda's every once in awhile.

Besides how many times can you respond to a "how to fix a flat thread"#-o;)

STR Rules!!!

ps. Everyone........I mean everyone I have met from STR has been more than cool:bang:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.