Race Report Thursday Evening Races in Tonner Canyon

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Sweetpea, May 29, 2015.

1. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    There's a new series of races in Tonner Canyon on Thursday evenings. I went there last night for the first time and really enjoyed myself. The staff put on a really good event. It was under attended and it shouldn't be. There were only 3 girls there (That part I'm not complaining about).

It's probably 80%+ single track but not tremendously technical. The difficulty is in the climbing, at least for me. It's very hilly so you are either going up or going down. Climbers rule on this one.

Tonner Canyon is off of Brea Canyon just north of Fullerton. It's a boy scout camping area and usually not open to the public. Consequently the terrain is practically untouched and the animals, especially the birds, are everywhere. I felt like I was going back in time driving the 6 miles in to the race location. One of these times I want to ride my bike in and take photos.

This is a great spot if you are located in the inland empire. I came from Newport Beach so it took me an hour to get there due to traffic. I'm going to go back though because I had such a good time.

Check it out: http://pedalpowerevents.com/socal.html

2. Gabby

Gabby New Member

It does look like it's under attended which is a shame. I hope everyone supports it and supports all of the other XC races here in Southern California. I plan on racing it in a few weeks when I'm back in town.

3. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    I think I'll give this a try for the next series starting in July. Anyone know if we can preride the course?

4. vamaro

vamaro Member

You can preride the couse the day of the race before the start. I race the first two races there. The course is fun and its in an area that is not open to the public.

5. Allthatflash

Allthatflash New Member

Photographer/ Owner of Pedal Power Events
    Hello Everyone,
    First let me introduce myself I am Mike and the owner of Pedal Power Events and promoter of the SoCal Epic Series currently running. This series is running with the help of the Boy Scouts and yes it has been under attended. I came to this to offer more local riding and racing to the local community so I hope you all can support us on this, and the better this becomes it also has an opportunity to give even more unused land from the the Boy Scouts who owns 7 more location with area covering from 1200-2700 acres. So our series runs every Thurs. night at 6:30 p.m. course are from 4-5 miles long and 800-1100 ft of climbing but it has a lot of fun descents as well. here is a clip of one of the courses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Hx0kUGR2M so you can see what everything looks like. Like someone said this does takes you back into time, a small Jurassic park in our own back yard. We have lots of different events we would like to host but without your participation it's really hard to move forward. we have a FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pedal-Power-Events/342676942558834?ref=hl as well and we are in Instagram under Pedal Power Events. so please go on and like us on FB and add us to your IG for updates and specials. If anyone has any question you can email me direct at [email protected]. See ya at the races !

6. Allthatflash

Allthatflash New Member

SoCal#4.jpg
    Race #4 is this Thursday and it has some new changes but with the fun down hills still in place, so come on down and put your best pedal forward and sign up for a night of fun. Go to our website www.pedalpowerevents or on our Facebook page and just hit the sign up button it's that simple.... So till then we'll see ya there!

7. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    Have you thought about having races on Saturdays? Thursdays are tough for me, but I know I always find myself wanting to race mtb's in the fall and winter when there aren't any other series. For any moto guys on here: Think of Saturday REM at Glen Helen.

8. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Looks like fun! I hope to make a couple of the races this summer.

9. Allthatflash

Allthatflash New Member

As of right now weekend are pretty much covered by the Boy Scouts own activities, but we are working on that for the SoCal high school league and our own endurance races we plan on hosting. But keeping the fingers crossed that we can reach on some dates, we are the first company to come in that are outside of the Boy Scouts and I think they are just gauging if this is a worthy for them to allow for future events. I know it's hard balancing work and other races going on right now but trust me this can be good for the MTB community in the future, but we need your support today.