Thoughts on Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ Disc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SD619, Sep 1, 2011.

1. SD619

SD619 New Member

Been reading some reviews on MTBR. Alot of them are old. A buddy of mine is currently selling a 2003 Fisher Sugar 2+. Anyone have any personal experience on that years model? Thanks for any help. Price of bike is $600. All stock no upgrades and great condition.

2. guero

guero iFroth

take it to a bike shop to see what might need to be fixed, then work on the price from there.

3. SD619

SD619 New Member

Thanks. Assuming everything checks out, you think 6 bills a good deal?

4. guero

guero iFroth

meh, i'd pass and save that money and put it towards something a bit newer. there are nice, newer used f/s bikes going for around 1k if you look around. post a pic of the bike if you can.

5. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    I've logged thousands of miles on the Cake which somewhat replaced the Sugar in the lineup and have been pretty happy with it but haven't rode that particular bike. The component specs in the Fisher archive look decent but that prices seems a touch on the high side for what is coming up on a nine year old bike. If it was really perfect, really low use, and you like how it rides and handles I'd think a little less would be fair as I've seen newer Cake and HiFi models (~'06-08 ) in good shape going for around $600-800.

If your friend bought it new at least you'd know the history of how it was ridden which might add some value. Also if he still has the receipt or already registered it with Fisher/Trek and would be willing to help you out should something happen to the frame (as they came with a lifetime frame warranty to the original owner) that would also be a positive compared to buying a bike of unknown condition from someone I didn't know and trust.

6. Mk3

Mk3 D to the izzope

Commercial HVAC
    Home Page:
    I bought my daughter a 2003 Sugar 3 (no disc) in 2007 for $500 and it was in pretty good shape. Unless upgraded to the hill with brand new gear I'd say that deal is overpriced. I'd offer $350 firm or walk unless you just gotta have that one.

7. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I agree with MK3, about $350, $400 tops.
    My wife and I each put-in years on Sugars. They are great XC bikes. It should have Fox suspension front and back, which works great. Both shock and forks should have been rebuilt by now, be sure to ask and test them out.
    Good bike, but older bikes just aren't worth much.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

The reviews are old because they stopped making that bike in 2004.

I concur with the the above statements......$600 is smoking crack.

9. SD619

SD619 New Member

Thank you very much guys. Awesome input. This being my only outlet since im fairy new and the guys I ride with are in the same boat.