thinking about moving to Tustin

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by profnachos, Jan 29, 2011.

1. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    from west Garden Grove. Why?

- proximity to Peters Canyon, Santiago Oaks, Blackstar, Holy Jim, etc.:clap:
    - The Path!
    - central location with access to most of OC.
    - close to high tech companies (I work as a software engineer) in Irvine
    - Oldtown Tustin exudes charm and character, unlike Stepford OC.

I will be meeting with an agent on Monday to figure out what steps I need to take to initiate the process. If you are familiar with the Tustin area, any tidbits you can tell me would be appreciated.

2. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    I grew up in Tustin. Nice place, especially if proximity to Irvine is a factor

3. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager
    The only thing that is not that awesome about Tustin is how long it takes to get to the freeway.

4. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

I have friends there but I could never live there solely for the reason when I was a kid my big sister started calling it Tusticle. :lol:

5. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Oh geez, now I can't get that out of my head.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    ZMy5 kids grew up there. We lived there 12 years and I loved it. Problem is it got to expensive and the neighborhood changed. There are very good family type settings in Tustin, I'd move back if it was practical.

7. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

Yep, been many years for me.:lol:

8. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

My Mom lives in tustin and its a really nice area...... Its a close second to rancho santa margarita being first of course lol

9. g-dub

g-dub Member

What kind of advice are you looking for? Bad/good neighborhoods, schools, price ranges?

Tustin is a big place, Old Town is not representative of the town as a whole. You have a whole range, from the apartments south of the 5, to the Mayberry type streets east of Old Town, the Irvine Co stuff in Tustin Ranch, to the super high-end in the hills. What do you have in mind? Studio apartment? Condo? 8 bedrooms with an ocean view?

I'm up Newport in Santiago Hills. Which looks totally Stepford from the outside, and I suppose it is super family-oriented. But I like that I always run into someone I know when I go out for dinner.

10. JoJon

JoJon Member

Been living in unincorporated Santa Ana/North Tustin/Cowen Hights for over twenty years and love it! I lumped all the names together because I can put any of them on my address and still get my mail. I'm at 17th and Holt, about a six minute drive to oldtown Tustin, the Path and less then five minutes to the 55. I ride through Peters to Santiago Oaks two or three times a week and for long rides I'll ride to Blackstar and do the climb to Beeks. In my opinion (biased of course) Tustin is a great city in central Orange County, great shopping, great schools and close to the 5/55 freeways. Like all cites Tustin has some bad parts as well, it all boils down to what best fits your needs and what you can afford. Ask your agent to show you North Tustin between Newport and Tustin Ranch road, I lived on Brittany woods for a while a nice quite area.

11. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I much prefer the old towns in OC over the newer cookie cutter neighborhoods. There are some gems in Tustin large lots with room for a garden and some of the old fruit trees survived on the bigger lots.

Dean

12. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    +1 for North Tustin (unincorporated Orange County, 92705). We moved here in late '04 and wanted something not like Irvine. We were attracted to the larger lots and ranch style homes. The property taxes are also a bit lower in unincorporated OC since there are no city taxes. Plenty of amenities close by. You can't beat the location for local rides. Ride to the parks from your door step, short drive to the Santa Ana Mountain trails and you can ride straight to the river trails (Mountain to Sea and Back Bay) with the family.

13. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

Nice area but you will have to get used to planes landing at John Wayne.

14. Gary IFF

Gary IFF Member

You might consider Orange Park Acres. Large lots, mansions next to shacks, horse/bike trails everywhere. A little less pricey than Cowan Heights :)

15. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    If the estimate of my current house is correct, my price range will be about $450,000 to $500,000. I am hoping to make a lateral move. Although I don't have a family, buying a house in a "family neighborhood" with good schools and Stepford elements is a necessary evil. Plus I want to have a backyard for my future dog.

So the super high end hills are probably out of my price range. A 3-4 bedroom house in a nice neighborhood will do. In terms of quality of neighborhoods, a friend in Tustin told me to keep it on the north side of the 5 which seems to make sense. The further down on Red Hill you go, the closer you get to sketchy parts of Santa Ana. Oh I know the north of Tustin is also Santa Ana, but with some high end homes I can only dream about.

My agent should fill me in more when I see him on Monday. My ideal location? I would love to be able to walk to places for coffee and dinner from my house when having friends over. Needless to say that Southern California car culture is not in my DNA.

16. polonia2

polonia2 New Member

I have nothing against Tustin. Yes, your friend is correct, stay away from north part of Tustin toward Santa Ana. I was considering Tustin too at one time. New property by Irvine Company is nice. But, if you want large backyard for dogs/ work on cars, maybe older neighborhood would be perfect. I like the area around peters canyon and irvine park. Problem is its kinda far from freeway. Whatever you decide I think it will be a winner.

17. g-dub

g-dub Member

Check out the area bounded by Red Hill, Irvine Blvd, Browning, and San Juan. The area straight north of Old Town up to 17th will be good to check out as well. Kinda noisy from the freeway over there though, not exactly idyllic.

18. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    I live near Bryan and Browning, about a block away from where my wife grew up. It's not really close enough to walk to the good coffee shops, but they are all within a short pedal distance. Peet's and Lost Bean, both on the corner of Irvine and Newport, and Kean on the corner of Bryan and Newport. We're kinda between the Market Place in one direction, and Larwin Square in the other.
    We live in one of the older hoods, and it's nice. Nothing fancy, but we have a big yard, and great neighbors.
    I'm not sure what the others consider being far from the freeway, but it doesn't seem too far to me in any part of town. As for the planes, they really aren't bad either. It's not like you're that close to John Wayne.

Good luck with your house hunting. I'd bet you'll find something that suits you.

19. biknpam

biknpam Member

You mean because it's too close? I'm 2 minutes from the 5 and about 5 minutes from the 55.

Have lived in Tustin for 20 years. I love it. It's close to everything (beach and hills), it's not Irvine but has a real home town charm. I like most of the businesses and really do feel like I can shop and live in Tustin without a problem. Welcome to the neighborhood!

20. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    I've been Rustin' in Tustin for most of my life. You're choosing Tustin for all the right reasons. It's a great place to live. I love the small town feel it has. I'm currently living in a condo just down the street from Maxwell (Bryan and Tustin Ranch Rd); if I ever decide to "upgrade" to a detached SFR I'd love to find something older in one of the unincorporated areas described above (92705/North Tustin) but there are some great neighborhoods within the city itself. The noise from planes on approach to John Wayne is a complete non-issue.