The Good, the Bad, the Luge (Updated 01-03-15)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by dpmod, Dec 14, 2012.

1. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

I parked at cooks where there were at least 30 other cars with bike racks......dont think its a problem but i highly recommend you at least go into cooks and buy a beer and make sure you let them know somehow that you are a mtn biker.

And as always park at your own risk

Kioti - i pushed it pretty hard into one of the berms even though it looked fresh and it held up fine, really helped me maintain speed through the corner. I also saw a lot of drainage work and its working great to keep the trail dry Thanks

2. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    It rained after we built the berms, so I went back the next morning to see how they faired. Also took some tools to fine tune, including a big tamper to pack em down. A guy near the bottom told me he lost his phone somewhere on the trail, so I told him I'd keep a lookout. Heard some music a little while later, and there it was. Glad it wasn't on vibrate, or I might've thought it was a rattler and chopped it in two. :)

Too nice yesterday not to do that test run, so I headed back out to check the work. Trail really is fun right now, and the berms worked well. Continued on to Vulture View and Sage Scrub in Whiting, then finished up with a swoopy descent of an unnamed trail in a soon to be developed area (on private property with the owner's consent).

Turned onto the bike path to head home and got bit by a vest-wearing dog. Really? Little sucker put holes in my favorite socks.

3. JJ Holiday

JJ Holiday New Member

Speaking of lost items on the Luge, I lost a Contour camera there yesterday. It came out of the mount somehow. My friend and I searched the entire trail to no avail. Anyway, a nice cash reward if anyone finds it. I have a feeling it's over the cliff or deep in the brush.

As for the condition of the trail, it's amazing!! Jim we are all grateful for your trail work....the new berms are excellent!!

Here's some footage of the Luge from the lost camera from our NYE ride. It's me out front...
    http://contour.com/stories/nye-luge-run-with-ian

4. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Another nice quick run on The Luge, minus the two interruptions to get around riders. I love the "wow" comment on the first of the two new berms. Sorry to hear you lost your camera.

5. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    1-6-13

Just finished Ol Camp.. Ride was off the Hook !! Excellent conditions - only down fall would be chilly. When i got back, someone asked me how was the mud - i said what "MUD"

Ride 1:38minutes and maybe 42/45deg =)

This is doable again today and Tomorrow x2.......

6. CarbonLegs

Moto Tech
    1-29-13 LUGE

Aliso creek - Whiting - STT - Luge - Back side Whiting - Vulture................All Excellent conditions with a plenty of bad patches but easy to avoid !!!

7. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks for the update, glad to hear things are all in good shape out there.

Did you happen to notice some berm enhancement on upper Sleepy Hollow? Ken Rands (SHARE) and I got permission to work on it on Sunday (when earthwork conditions were perfect) and tuned it up. I test rode it just before dark tonite and was running so late I forgot to unlock my suspension.. and it was still fun! :)

8. Mbtec1

Mbtec1 New Member

auto tech
  9. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

Jim

As always, many thanks and much appreciation for all the trail work you do. On Sunday, a friend and I rode/hiked STT up to the last climb before heading down to the Luge. Except for a couple of spouts the Luge was in great shape. All the "drainage" and other work you did held up nicely. By the way, did you do any work on Vultures Craig heading down to the Luge. It looked like some shoveling took place by one of the sections of exposed rocks.

10. kioti

kioti Active Member

Can't take credit for that.. maybe it was a "random act of trailwork." ;) Hopefully an improvement, though I like the chunky nature of that spot and wouldn't want to see it too cleaned up.

11. CarbonLegs

Moto Tech
    I did notice the excellent work, Burms are looking better and smoother =)

I game you some Kudos, i have seen you in action.. Your a bad a$$, http://app.strava.com/activities/39113868

Vulture looked awesome today, Looking forward ti hit it again with Dread !!

12. CarbonLegs

Moto Tech
    Over all great work, I was coasting down Luge but conditions were off the Hook. Vulture looked sexy in many ways.

13. kioti

kioti Active Member

I gave up a ride yesterday to repair some weird trail work on the Luge. Someone had cut a huge slot in the last berm before the stream crossing and added a water diversion hump, destroying the quality of the turn. I spent an hour or so re-establishing the berm and the trail surface.

It's hard enough keeping up with Mother Nature, but human damage like this is a totally unnecessary. I don't know if someone doesn't understand the dynamics of mountain bike use, or doesn't want us to enjoy the trail. Anyway, it's fixed for now and hopefully doesn't happen again.

14. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

Thank you so much for fixing that piece of trail! it was completely whacked out and wrong! I honestly thought you did it so I didnt want to post on here complaining! seemed like it wasnt your handy work but figured no one else would have the ballz to do that! huge thanks for repairing that, it was really a problematic area that was created.

15. kioti

kioti Active Member

Don't worry, I spent too much time building all those berms to hack 'em up like that. Presumably, it was done for drainage, but a drain above and between berms handles things fine. There might've been a small rut developing, but otherwise just the usual brake bumps. I don't get too agro about small ruts and rocks, they give trails character and make 'em more interesting to ride.

FYI, it's OK to complain or send a PM. I can't keep up with stuff like this on a daily basis, and was working on other trails (like Sleepy Hollow) around the time this was done. Got an email from another STR member, which reinforced what I'd seen, and got it handled. If you see anything like this in the future, let me know.

Thanks,
    Jim aka kioti

16. CarbonLegs

Moto Tech
    9am 11:40 2-10-2013

Cold but great trail conditions,

I did Ol Camp, really cold, little slosh, will slow you down, Recommend STT, Luge Loop for optimum Ride !

17. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Heading that way shortly...

18. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    Finished group ride to Old Camp this morning. Was fantastic. Big puddle by Cadillac is all. Smooth and fast dirt all the way, up or down.

19. Jones

Jones New Member

Just hit the luge loop and it's awesome right now.

20. kioti

kioti Active Member

This is a head's up for Gap jumpers. I've always thought of the gap as a bunny hop, but somebody had a different idea and built a kicker. My buddy almost killed himself on it Sunday because it was soft and loose. So I ran up there after work tonight and did my best to put it back the way it used to be.

Note to builder: 1. Trail work needs to be solid or you put the public at risk. 2. Independent projects are best done on private property. 3. You can't make jumps out of sand.