The Bike Co

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by LBmtb, Aug 7, 2007.

1. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Sounds great! I'd love to work in a shop in my spare time - if I had any. Like you, not for the money, but for the enjoyment.

2. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    This sounds like a infomercial. I love Albertsons and everyone should shop there... why, because I said so. :lol:

3. NO GO

NO GO Expert Beginner

Ditch Digger
    Bought my 1st MTB from Joe, Mike and Kevin in March of 06 (SC Heckler). TBC has always been fair with me both with sales and service. I've had a number of quick tunes and tips at no charge. Joe even built a set of CK with 819's in under one day plus I got a killer deal....can't discuss $ ;-) It's been over a year with 2,000 plus miles on them and I haven't had a single problem.
    I feel lucky to have two LB shops (TBC & Path) less than 10 miles away.
    Of all the LBS I've dealt with only Rocknroad has given me a bad impression.

4. RFXIbibisTom

RFXIbibisTom Wow, how Rad!

Bike Company and Brian Lopes

FYI:

Brian Lopes has had his ENTIRE quiver of Ibis Carbon Mojo's put together by the mechanics at the Co. (Terry, Tracy, and of course Joe who is Brian's mechanic this year.)

That translates to Pro level mechanics working on YOUR bike when you bring it to the Bike Co. for service. Just think, Lopes mechanics working on your bike!!

Plus you can check out all of Brian's Ibis's that are there.

PS I am selling 2 of his GT Force Frames, let me know if you are interested.

5. DirtObsession

DirtObsession is injured

Home Page:

Agreed, I have always had good experiences at Bike Co.. Chill peeps, good product, top notch mechanics. All around good shop.

6. RussTafari

RussTafari New Member

Had a wheel overhauled here earlier this season. I usually do my own wrenching, but time wasn't on my side so I brought it here to be done. Turnaround was quick, parts/labor reasonable; freehub was replaced as part of this service.

Had ridden the wheel about 20 times, then while out on a ride find that the rear wheel has bound up and won't turn. Leave the friends and walk the 3+ miles out carrying my bike (first walk-out in 10+ yrs). Head home and tear into the hub to find out what's wrong. Turns out that the freehub had worked itself loose and was causing the hub to bind.

I think it anything but coincidental that it was the freehub that had caused this problem, and was also recently replaced. I suspect that the freehub wasn't properly tightened when replaced, and that torque/stress caused it to loosen to the point that the wheel bound up.

As a result I can't say that I'd go back again for any servicing. However I do respect their parts selection, and would consider purchasing parts here.

7. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

el jefe? where art thou? you used to blow smoke about how great the place is...where are you now.......Oh, what a big man you are! "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it.

8. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR Member

I had some work quoted two weeks ago. I got the rest of my parts in today and went there to schedule the service. After going over the work that has to be done (which is actually an item or two shorter this time now), they estimated the cost would be 25% higher. I was like 'are you sure' and they said yes. I told them they quoted me 25% lower last time I asked on identical work and they looked at me like I was bullshitting them trying to get a discount. I live really close to the Path but I wanted to try out BikeCo for the Lopes factor but now I am undecided between where to bring my bike.

9. RFXIbibisTom

I PM'd you

10. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

My review of the bike co, never been there but I know one of the bike co people was an arrogant ass to my Girlfriend at fontucky last season. So I wont be shopping or refering anyone there

11. genrec

genrec Member

Went to the Bike Co. today since they are down the street from my new home. Very friendly reception. Newbie to the brands they carry (and this site, but not to mt.biking) the guy I was dealing with was very helpful and answered all my bajillion questions. Although I did not purchase a new set up today i would definately go back before final considerations and or at least parts and give the service a try.

12. RFXIbibisTom

Wow!!

Was this a TEAM guy or an employee?
    Most of the "quote" "Bike Co. People" who were at Fontucky were team racers. Very few employees, with the exception of the owner Joe, were at those races.
    ?

13. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I walked in the other day with a female friend of mine. She asked the guy at the counter what he would charge to install some new grips for her. Then she came back over to me and told me. She continued to look around the shop and I asked the guy the same thing. My price was $10 less. Riddle me this Batman. lol

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Wasn't there a guy with the last name Ward who worked there and raced DH?

15. BigRedHit

BigRedHit Bighit comming DOWN!!

Retail Manager
    I believe, if they were "Team Racers" or employee they should behave well enought to represent their company/sponsors.

16. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

??????

"I wanted to try out BikeCo for the Lopes factor"

What does this mean?

To be honest I am shocked that shop is still around

17. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I believe this shop has a new owner or management (or at least a new half owner?). I've been in there a couple times in the past 6 months looking for obscure parts, and it's not the same shop it was years ago. It is much better (except I noticed that their pricing is still high - even higher than MSRP on many items).

18. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Agreed. Their prices are a bit high. I rarely buy build parts there. Primarily small items like SS bolts, chain lube but that is about it.

19. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR Member

Even though I had a bad experience trying to get work done on my bike there, they quoted me excellent prices on Avid brake products, cheaper than the lowest US-based website prices + shipping.

20. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

From what I was told it was someone from the forum