The Bike Co

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by LBmtb, Aug 7, 2007.

1. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

"Without bashing tell me what you think would make it your favorite Bike shop."

You sell the rad stuff and have very good pricing. You have talented people. Stop screwing around so much and make your customers the top priority.

2. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    My opinion on The Bike Co...

I went over there recently due to Jason's post about some stuff on sale (namely tubes) so I made the journey. I called ahead and Jason set the stuff I knew I wanted aside so that I would be assured that I wasn't making a trip for nothing. I also needed new tires for my SS and figured I'd browse.

I was interested in the Kenda Klaw XT 29x2.1 they had there and asked about them. Jason said he didn't know but asked everyone else about them.

I did notice that there were other employees on the sales floor, and other customers in the shop with a lost look, but the customer had to approach the sales guy, not the other way round.

Basically, it looks like Jason is just what Bike Co. needs. I don't think I'd deal with anyone other than Jason over there. Hopefully, they will realize that the advise and ideas he has will generate more business for them and have the good sense to listen.

3. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Wife Wilhelmina would like to add a few things:

• Jason is VERY enthusiastic about bikes and he loves what he does. He treats customers like friends, and he always makes sure everyone is taken care of. I’ve seen him bend over backwards for people (figuratively--he’s not that flexible), and he works hard at resolving issues.
    • While Jason’s run-on sentences and grammar misuse make me cringe, he is a brilliant engineer. He loves showing people how things work and will NEVER act like a macho know-it-all. When I ask him stupid bike questions, he tells me I’m cute, then he explains the answer in a way I can understand.
    • I love him, but I’m not calling him The Wolf.

4. alank

alank New Member

Willy,

LOL...yes, the grammar does make me cringe, but like you said, the Wolf is highly skilled in many other areas...:lol:

5. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Oh Yes

MANY other areas!!! :D

6. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Get a room.... [-X hehe

7. alank

alank New Member

too much info!

8. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Hey

So who is going to come help me make this a great place to shop. The guys here are really cool. I can use some help though:welcome:.

9. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    that suks Kevin is gone , he was pretty much the glue holding the p.r together , Tony G is going to have to step up to cater to the DH guys .. Wishing the best for Kevin , im sure he will find what he is looking for , kid has skillz on and off the bike ...

10. tonyg

tonyg tonyg

firefighter
    Home Page:
    I guess my 3 years of Pro DH racing dosen't count for much.

love, Tony G.

11. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    1. follow thru (call your customer!!)
    2. customer service when you walk in without having to wait around. :welcome:with a smile

3. knowledge that not everyone is a DH rider and that's OK :clap:

4. just be friendly

I enjoy the Bike Co as they have done lots of work on my bike(s), but I never know if I'm going to get someone who wants to help vs who HAS to help. :?: Consistent high quality service is the way to go.

I hope that helped a bit. And who's the guy that also works at Garageworks? Prob cheaper to have Bike Co do the fork work, eh?

12. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

Tony, that is actually the kind of attitude that deters people from shopping at Bike Co. The elitist "i'm a pro Dh'er" i know more than you attitude needs to leave. It is cool that you spent time racing the circuit and i'm sure you are a highly skilled rider, but put that same love and dedication to racing towards customer service and you may be onto something.

13. tonyg

tonyg tonyg

firefighter
    Home Page:
    I would never just come out and say I'm a pro. But when people say I need to know about DHing then I let them know That I have spent alittle time downhilling. I've benn riding sence 1990 and I want everyone to have a good time mnt biking like I have, That's all.

14. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    Ok so.... you need to know about Customer Service... let us know when you've figured that out ;):rolleyes: because it's plainly obvious from this thread and this post you and the Bike Co. know nil about it or about taking constructive criticism.

Good luck with this challenge Jason.

15. hansolo

hansolo New Member

Tony G is the man! He has a great attitude towards riding and actually rides with all level riders as well as Kevin. They are both passionate about riding and you can't say enough about the two. Neither of them will ever tell you they are faster than you! We'll miss them both and I hope Bikeco will prosper from what they had to offer. I don't know Jason, but sounds like he's got some good traits.

As for Bikeco bashing(original thread)...sounds like they called you twice to let you know about not having the parts then slipped a bit afterwards. It can be really difficult when you don't have the answer yourself to help the customer out. I used to ask customers to call the manufacturer for their warranty parts, so the warranty guy could feel my pain every time the customer walked in asking about his missing part he can't do without. I know I've been there. Bikeco is great shop in a very expensive area, so they can't discount as heavy as the Path, but they have the best mechanic I've ever seen or worked with....by far. Tracy from Garageworks kicks ass also! They have some serious experience and talent back there, but at the same time they're pretty overwhelmed most of the year. Give them some slack. Oh I forgot Terry who will put all you Laguna locals to shame on a night ride.....sizzz Terry!

16. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Back in the day....

We used to shop at the Bike Co. years ago when Sven Martin still worked there. He and Joe always took good care of us. Roger is still riding a wheelset that Sven built for him, years ago. :clap:

When Sven left, we never got the same treatment so we went elsewhere. And yes, there was always the air of arrogance throughout the shop. Unless you knew all the guys personally (Tony & Kevin) you kinda got the cold shoulder if you just stopped in to browse and ask questions.

Back in the day they stocked alot of DH parts that no one else did so we could always call and go pick them up (we live in Riverside). But over the last few years, every time I call they don't have what we need (and they don't offer to order it).

Since then we have tried many shops and finally found that The Path, who meets all of our needs. Friendly, knowledgeable staff, outstanding parts and bike selection, many, many mechanics, etc., etc.

Jason:

Glad your aboard, you have your work cut out for you. You need some additional staff and a good manager!!! If you have open positions, you should post the job descriptions and see if you generate any interest.

17. hansolo

hansolo New Member

The same people that built them wheels are still there. That has not changed. It definitely was not Sven that actually built them. He's awesome, but not a awesome wheel builder.

18. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Called them..........

A few weeks ago to see if they had some Hope brake pads (didn’t have time to go to The Path). I remembered that I was told by one of the owners (about a year and a half ago) on the trail that they are experts at setting up Hope brakes (they can be finicky little buggers).

Called and asked if they had any pads…….”ah let me check”…….30 seconds later…... “Nope”……….silence……….silence continues………..

I said thanks hung up…...and few mouse clicks later they were ordered for ½ of retail, no tax and free shipping. :bang:

19. hansolo

hansolo New Member

Sounds like you were talking to the new guy Tayler...

You know I got on this site for the first time to see what the fuss was about and tried to be positive....
    I guess I'm on the wrong site....

20. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

and everyone that replied with a bad experience must have been in the wrong shop...