The Bike Co

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by LBmtb, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Sea.Jay

Sea.Jay New Member

word choice was poor and i do apologize for that...for my own peace of mind. why do you guys think i care about what you think of me?

i understand the word is quite inappropriate but think about this....what have some of you(males) called others(males)? are no words comparable? and if any are, i bet none of you would have said anything if i had said so and so is an asshole/prick/etc.

Carry on.

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Sven was the reason we used to frequent the shop, when he left, so did we.

3. guero

guero iFroth

Popped in on Saturday, had the "L-bomb" dropped on me two to three times. I was like, no whey!!!

4. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    I spoke with Chris and was ready to blow 6k+ on a new build.

Now my bitness is going to FB foshiski!

5. cmeride

cmeride Member

If you want a shop to hold your hand and give you deep discounts than you don't understand their business. Yes they do drop Lopes name sometimes but its usually in reference to a question being asked. ie lopes xyz wasn't working properly so we did this to it. Joe wrenches for Lopes and product develops for many mfg's..They're a small shop with excellent wrenching. Does it take some time to get your bike back from service ? Yes. Do they have gobs of stuff in store ? No. But if you're looking to build up something, bike, wheels, or a brake set-up or fork tune etc..You know you're getting a "pro" job. I've been going to the "co" since it opened with John & Sage. I've been through the ups and downs of this shop. I've tried other shops on this site and had the same experiences through the years. I just know some shops are good for some things and some are good for other stuff..Tani has a good shop, Joe has a good shop even Performance has good shops but they're all different in many ways. I dont take any of these shops personally i know they all cant stock the item that i need or fix what needs to be fix right then and there. Shop A's overhead is different than shop B so prices vary, that will play in the $30 bar mount. Isn't that what You-Tube is for ?
    Just my .5c

6. TomR1

TomR1 Member

Just wanted to share my recent experience with The Bike Co. Prior to yesterday I have been in there 2-3 times over the past couple years. Last time I was there was over a year ago just to check out some Kali pads. Never really had a reason to go back and through following this thread didn’t have much of a desire to give them my business. Well I needed a crown race reducer and couldn’t find a shop that had it in stock. I spoke with both of the Path shops, RocknRoad and others with no luck. On the phone yesterday with Thinkfast he asked me if I had tried The Bike Co. I had thought of calling them earlier but then forgotten about them. Gave them a call and spoke to Chris. He searched and told me they had it. I was even able to email him a pic to make sure it was the right part and he called me back and confirmed. When I stopped in to pick it up, Chris was there and he couldn’t have been nicer. I also notice that they have a ton of parts there. I’m not saying that they will be my go to shop starting now but I would not hesitate to give them a call when looking for a part. As far as pricing, the part I got was pretty inexpensive($10) but that was a bit cheaper than the $16 quote I got from the Path who would have had to order it. I taught myself a lesson yesterday. Things can change and it looks they may have at The Bike Co. for the better. You may want to check them out and see for yourself.

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I've always been treated well at The BikeCo. I have been given good pricing on retail stuff and Joe knows suspension better than anybody. I have always received calls after the sale or service to see how the product/service is performing. They do say Dude a lot, but I can live with that, dude...:wave:

8. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I posted on this thread way back in 2007 (post #98 ) about my bad experiences, and I included some suggestions for improvement. I am very happy to say that in my experiences over the past month or two, The Bike Co seems to have held on to their strengths and turned around the things that were weaknesses. They're still a shop of hard-core riders and high-end bikes, but unlike a few years ago, the service experiences I've had recently have been stellar.

My girlfriend needed a new bike, so we'd been kicking around ideas and demoing bikes for a while now. She fell in love with the Ibis Mojo when she rode it, but she also liked the idea of bigger wheels. But at 5'4" she was also having a hard time finding a 29er that felt right, so 650b looked like a really good option. While we'd have been very happy to take our business to our friends at The Path, the combo of liking Ibis and wanting that wheel size led us back to the Bike Company, one of the few Ibis dealers around and a shop that is doing a lot of custom builds with 650 conversions.

Even when we were just doing some very preliminary browsing, it seemed obvious that there had been a culture change there. We were acknowledged as soon as we walked through the door and staff were welcoming, friendly and very informative. And from the time we started seriously talking about buying to the post-purchase follow-ups, they could not have treated us better. Kara, Chris, Ryan, Joe, and especially Nate - who was our main contact - were all very friendly and extremely responsive, whether it was in person, by phone, or via email. They also provided a vast amount of knowledge and insight. The incredibly detailed conversation we had with Joe about gearing was amazing, and Nate's insight to components and fit were invaluable. I'd like to think I know my stuff pretty well, but we would not have ended up with the bike coming out this well without their help unless I'd put in countless hours of research. They created exactly the bike she wanted and built it up quickly and beautifully. The only minor hiccup was a short delay to get the correct handlebar, but they built up the bike with a loaner handlebar so she could ride sooner, then when the right one was in they swapped in in a few minutes while we waited.

Along the way, I also had a small mechanical problem with my own bike, which they fixed quickly and at a very reasonable price, along with some good maintenance advice from Tracy.

Fair pricing, incredible knowledge and support, friendly and enthusiastic service, all capped off with a gorgeous bike that she loves - we couldn't have asked for more. Thank you all very much!

Mojo logo sized.jpg

9. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    The bike co is one of the only shops that calls you back when they say they will! I dig the atmosphere and the higher end parts they sell too... I've NEVER had an issue with them, PERIOD. I like to support all my local shops when I get a chance and these guys are on my hit list for sure!

10. Mbtec1

Mbtec1 New Member

auto tech
    I am a big fan of the Bike Co and everyone that works their. They have always taken care of me and my brother. image.jpg
    Here's my lady most of the parts from the Bike Co. With custom tuned front and rear suspension. They know what they are doing!
    Thanks Bike Co.

11. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    How about that crappy computer system at the Path any complaints? Lol ive had good and bad experiences at both The Path and Bike Co but Im not out to try and smear their reputation from a bad experience. Just be thankful we have more choices than most folks for parts and service. Riding my bike is a blast....installing my own parts and doing my own service that is just badass.

12. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Member

Car business
    Big thanks to The Bike Co! My rear shock blew out on my HD recently & I had a race this Sat. Fontana super d. I brought the bike in Tuesday & it was done by Thursday afternoon. The bike felt incredible with a freshly overhauled shock!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

13. wheeler

wheeler Member

They have good mechanics at The Bike Co. I had them service my brakes because I didn't have the time and they were perfect.

14. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Member

After spending several thousand dollars at Bike Co. between 2005-2008, I was always happy. always well done service, race prep. And most importantly GREAT advice and knowledge base. Joe sold me all the parts so I could build my own wheels, provided advice, then inspected my wheel build work for free and its was a good price for parts. Obviously the thing they lacked was internet pricing and massive inventory. But being a small shop that's hard to do.

I just got back into MTB, and I walked in and bought a pair of Time pedals. The price was discounted to be lower than Jenson without my asking. And we had a fun chat about pedals. :):):):D:D:D Well done Bike Co. good to be back