Tendonitis (knee)

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by strobe, Mar 20, 2013.

1. strobe

strobe resident noob

With quickly closing in on the date for the VQ/CC, i had kicked up my training a bit more than normal. I have now developed a case of tendonitis or tendonosis just below my knee cap. I needed the next week of hard training for the CC but i think i am going to have to RICE it. With 2 weeks left before a tough endurance event (still not sure if i have the legs to finish), what have some of you done to get tendonitis pain to a minimal level quickly? I plan on riding regardless even though i can barely walk or bend my leg to get into my car. Just need to reduce the pain and deal with it after the ride. Maybe spin on the trainer with little resistance to keep conditioning and work the joint without strain? Do nothing to rest it as much as possible? Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    I think I'm in the same boat. My left knee, just above the kneecap, to the right of it, is killing me.

I've been training on three different bikes. The first: my Specialized (been riding it for 2.5 yrs. Second: Giant Reign (loaner while my forks get serviced). And now my new bike: Turner 5-Spot. Would this have an impact due to all the different geometry of bikes?

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

No offense, but if you are not ready for VQ/CC at this point.....another week is really not gonna make much of a difference.

Several years ago I had the same issue.....bothered me for about 4 weeks.....finally overnight it seemed for go away. never came back.

4. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

I've had this and would take ibuprofen and stretch it out multiple times a day rest is prolly the best thing you can do to stop the inflammation of the tendon that's my 2 cents hope you heal up quick

5. strobe

strobe resident noob

No offense taken. I am doing this on my rigid SS, so, walking will be part of the adventure. I intend to finish, no matter what. Even if i do more hiking than i hope for. If i didn't think it was going to be a challenge, i wouldn't have committed to it. I wanted a reason to push my limit. This will be it. Hoping for 7hr finish. Or, 9... as long as i hobble to the finish. To all the VQers, you are crazy. lol.

I've had very painful tendonitis in both knees before, but, that was 20ish years ago and can't remember how long it took to go away. I was in the military then, so, NSAIDs was all i took and still had to do 2-4mi runs 3 times a week. Usually, after the first 10 minutes, pain disappears until the end of the activity. After which, i was lucky if i could walk. This time, the pain will just have to refrain for a much longer period of time.

Good to know that rest will probably be the better option since i will benifit more from recovery than extra training session. Thnx.

6. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

7. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

get on anti-inflammatories, and stay on them until you're done with VQ. If you can, get on a prescription strength one. They last 12 hours so you're not popping pills all day long ;)

8. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Mine persisted for a decade.
    Used to ride about 300 mi/week on the road and until I took 6 mos off it never went away.
    I was fortunate and got to have a consultation with James Andrews while he was at UAB Medical Center and he called it.
    Even had the knee 'scoped and the result was the same: tendonitis
    Still rears its ugly head if my pedal Q is too wide. Amazing how quickly it can come one.

9. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Better to be over-rested and under-trained/non-injured than to be over-trained and under-rested / injured.

Scale back and RICE...I think that will serve you best....

Also you could get in the pool and swim :)

10. FijiRob

FijiRob Member

You might also want to consider getting a high quality bike fit to make sure it is not a fit problem. I saw Jim Manton at Ero-Sports (formerly FinalFit) and had knee issues before, nothing since. Highly recommend this guy and it is worth the money to be pain free. Just my two cents.

http://ero-sports.com/

11. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    dont stretch inflamed tendons, doesnt help and can injure further. Does stretching when youre fine prevent tendon injury? maybe. (some current research says no, actually). But If its already infllamed, meaning it may have microtears in it, serious stretching can just make it worse. Ibuprofen and rest, good idea. Whenver Ive had patellar tendonitis it has gone away within a day or two. What im plaqued with is achilles tendonitis, if I do too much HAB. doc told me when that flares up, dont stretch it.

12. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    That is some good advice. Id say youre better off staying off the bike until that pain goes away, even if that gets real close to the vq. then try to do it anyway.

13. strobe

strobe resident noob

That was supposed to be a birthday present last year. I forfitted the funds for a functional washing machine. Wife is much happier with clean clothes. I didn't have too many issues until ramping up the intensity training on back to back days. Maybe that will be an option in the near future. With as much as i will be standing for the CC, a fit would be minimal for this ride.

14. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    One thing that helps me when my knee flares up is to ride with a rubber (like in wet suits) pull up wrap. I've always a$$umed it helps because it keeps the area warm, but it could be psychosomatic; I don't care which, because the pain goes away.

15. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Cycling makes a few muscles very strong, and it neglects other muscles. To function optimally, all your muscles need to be exercised, all your parts have to work in harmony. If one area is functioning sub-optimally, it will throw off other areas, and you'll be all jacked up. It might not be your knee that is the source of the problem.

I'm stubborn and lazy, and I wouldn't listen to the advice from a good friend who trains triathletes and ironman competitors. One time that my knee was particularly bad, I started following her advice. By the next weekend, the knee had substantially improved. Then I slacked off. In January, I hurt my knee so badly that I thought I may never ride again, so I started following her instructions even more. In those three months, I've had to raise my saddles 13/16" (true!) because my pedal stroke is no longer being limited by tight tendons and muscles. All my parts feel MUCH better now.

I'm not smart enough to diagnose anything, and I don't think the average doctor or chiropractor is either. They attempt to make the pain go away from fat couch potatoes. They don't build people into athletes. The closest pictures I've seen to some of the exercises I do were published in the March issue of Bicycling. If you can't find the issue or get some ideas online, I can scan the article and email it to you. Some of the exercises I do are yoga poses, so you might want to search the web for poses that will help your hips and legs.

16. strobe

strobe resident noob

I was looking into knee warmers for the CC ride anyways. These will do the same thing and add a little (very little) stability. I think i'll get some. They helped when i was younger and had knee pains (osgood-schlatter).

I'll check on that. Wife is into yoga and always wants me to do a bit. Probably a great item of research for her to work out a routine for me.

17. strobe

strobe resident noob

After 3ish days of major pain, icing and NSAIDs has me thinking i may get in a final training ride before the CC. Yay. Thnx everyone for your input.