Switchback Cyclery

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by GeorgiaOfTheJungle, Aug 7, 2007.

1. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Hooray! Glad to hear you're offering clinics on Sunday, too. I have been wanting to hit up the free clinics, but Wednesdays I work, so Sundays will be great! :clap:

2. Bellvis

Bellvis BUFFALO SOLDIER

Dungeon Master
    Home Page:
    Well after taking 15 Hummers up to Big Bear and spending 14 hours on the trails yesterday I decided to relax and do some bike hunting today. I started over at Performance in Tustin Market place then went over to Switchback to check them out again.

I arrived at Switchback at 11:45am and there was a sign on the door "Out to Lunch." D'oh! #-o No worries, I understand that "most" employees are humans and need to eat. So I grabbed some Flame Broiler and went home. About 2:30 I headed down to Orange Cycle to check out what they have. I have not been there in years and was impressed with their selection. After leaving there I went back to Switchback to see what they have.

Well I have to say my first impression was not good. I was there for 20-25 mins and was never approached by anyone. There were two younger guys working on bikes in the back so I understand they were busy. Couple customers walked in with their bikes and went straight back to them and were helped right away. There were approximately 15 mountain bikes there and I must have examined each one three times. I also checked out a downhill frame from a company whose name starts with a "B". Bionic or something similar. ( Swanson, Sally, Smith.... Ohhhh Samsonite!!!:lol:) I have never heard of them before so I investigated. It was right check out stand. I looked through the entire booklet and was still never approached.

Please understand that I certainly to not want to put down Switchback. I am just stating my first experience with them today. Im sure things would have been different if the owners were there or if they had more employees working at the time I was there.

With all these positives things ive read from them, I will certainly return and give them another shot. :beer:

Trizz, I am also on Chapman and Cannon. When I get my bike, we should run Peters Canyon sometime.

Cheers

3. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    With all due respect you hit Switchback on the day after the VQ/CC. All total combined, Sherry, Tim (owners) and their employees probably put in 100+ hours of volunteer hours yesterday, waking up at 3am to make sure the VQ/CC runs smoothly. Please give them another chance! You simply won't find a more caring shop than Switchback. Give them another chance after they've had some sleep;)

4. Vickie

Vickie Ride to ride again

Business Process Analyst - Aerospace
    I'm sure you have heard the ol saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" - I'd say, don't judge a bike shop by your first experience. Switchback is a great shop, I drive from Cypress when ever I need ANYTHING bike related. KeepsWhatHappens is certainly right where he said:

As the top sponser for the Warriors Society Vision Quest and Counting Coup race, they ensured it went off with out a hitch - many many hours yesterday...and their day started very very early. I'm sure if you go back, you will not be disappointed with the service, knowledge, or selection of goods.

5. Bellvis

Bellvis BUFFALO SOLDIER

Dungeon Master
    Home Page:
    Well like I posted in my first reply, I will certainly give them another chance, no doubt. With all the positive things everyone says about them, I thought something was up. I have no idea what this VQ/CC thing is but if a bike shop is sponsoring an event/race, that really shows a lot from them. :clap:

I put on Hummer events and the local dealerships sponsor them and it certainly is appreciated. Shows a lot from a business when they get involved with their customers outside of the shop. Its the best way to get new business and keep customers.

Maybe ill run in after work this week. :-k

6. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    Well I have to say I am very upset at the moment to read about your experience in my store....I am obviously upset with my employees. They have already been talked to at length, to say the least...apparently they needed to hold each others hand while getting lunch...bad call on their part...now I know why I have to work every day!

As far as being ignored....there is no excuse !! They are suppose to greet each customer and ask if they need anything..if a customer says they are just looking then they are suppose to tell them "just ask if you have any questions", then we do leave them alone to shop without feeling like they are being pressured. And of course when I talk to my guys working they are saying they did that...but I can't imagine you would have felt ignored if they had done that...my deepest apologies for your experience...but without this post I would have never known my guys were slacking...so thank you!

7. Bellvis

Bellvis BUFFALO SOLDIER

Dungeon Master
    Home Page:
    Cowgirl, thanks for your response, much appreciated.

You certainly have not lost my business. I am still in the market for a new bike and am looking for something that will handle downhills as well as all mountain. I can certainly use all the advice I can get since its been over 2 years since I cracked my hip.

I work at a bank on the corner of Chapman and Tustin and usually work till 6pm. I will try to come by Tues night or sometime Thursday on my day off.

Cheers :beer:

8. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    We will be here....we have all our 2007 bikes on blow out and our 2008 bikes are starting to arrive not to mention as an STR member you get 15% off...so you might wanna check out our Santa Cruz line up too! See ya soon and again Thanks.

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

This is a great example of how good businesses improve by customers sharing or complaining about their bad experiences. Good shops listen and act upon those concerns. One of the most challenging situtations for a dealer is when a customer leaves and never returns, and the dealer never knows why.

I'm positive that the staff at Switchback has learned from this feedback, and they will do their best to prevent this situation from arising again. :clap:

10. Bellvis

Bellvis BUFFALO SOLDIER

Dungeon Master
    Home Page:
    I plan on coming by this Thursday to check everything out again.

11. Bellvis

Bellvis BUFFALO SOLDIER

Dungeon Master
    Home Page:
    Well today I spent an hour in Switchback trying to decide on a new bike and I must say I was treated like royalty. Cant wait to buy as soon as I decide what I want to do.

Switchback gets an A+ in my book. Excellent shop. :bang:

12. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Cowgirl, thanks for the 25% off on the Mule! :) Great shop and friendly folks! She even went as far to call another shop to see if they carried an item they didn't have! :clap: Also spotted some Felt BMX bikes and it is right down the street from the Orange Y. hmmmmmmmm tempting!

13. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

The only big question is how many BMX bikes will you buy, one for you and two for your girlfriend's kids?

14. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery

I smell a group bike discount coming on!

15. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Starting to shop around since I sold my other frame! :) Noah I'm sure he will do it. Hanna on the other hand is not so sporting but I'm hoping she will give it a go. [-o-]

16. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    driving past I dragged the entire family in tow on sunday (while the peeps there were friendly no sherry or tim to be found :-k hope they were getting the squish on:bang:).

they have a ripe for the pickin wee-kids bike in the front of the shop i was all over for my 2 year old. unfortunately he is just like his dad and got big eyes and only wanted to sit on and ride the "big boys" bikes. think a few more trips to the shop and we got a new bike in the stable!!!! :bang:

17. crud

crud New Member

18. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    that is most def some serious knowledge Tim dropped on you. so is it true once you go black you never hunk like cr@p

19. airgabe

airgabe New Member

teacher
    Great service work

I have always been helped out, even when I was in a rush. Tim and Sherry run a great shop!! I have never felt uncomfortable nor pressured when I just browsed..:wave:

20. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Kudos to Switchback as well. Treated me very well and warm everytime I have gone their as well regardless if I buy or browse.