Stuck By Prickly Pear on Cholla. Question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mgarces, Mar 24, 2011.

1. mgarces

mgarces New Member

Hello all, i got stuck with a nice big barb 2 saturdays ago going up cholla. someone was standing in my usual line, so i swerved to the right, got too close to a big cactus paddle, and got a needle in my finger. it went through my glove and i have to tug it a bit to get it out.

its been about 2 weeks now and my finger is still pretty swollen and my range of motion is limited, there is also an annoying pain when i move it past a certain point.

anyone had this same experience? just wondering if it goes away, or do you need to go to a doctor or what? it is very annoying to say the least and it hasnt gotten any better....

thank you.

2. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    i haven't been stuck, but i'd say get it checked out. better safe than sorry.

3. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Sounds like you have a remnant of the spine embedded in a tendon. Probably should see a doctor, if the tendon gets infected, it's and admit to the hospital with IV antibiotics....

4. mgarces

mgarces New Member

oh i do not like the sound of that... it got me right on the knucke.

5. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

I had the same exact thing happen a few months ago. After about a week, I went in digging with a razor blade and tweezers.

6. dburdett

dburdett Member

www.dbMediaGroup.net
    Home Page:
    Either that or you're allergic. Either way sounds like a visit to the doc.

7. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    Better to go have it checked out with the doc. 2 weeks seems like a long time to still be feeling the affects. Years ago I was coming down Cactus, and (ironically) went OTB straight into cactus, basically landing in them like a recliner chair. Needless to say, I couldn't sit comfortably for a few days, but the pain seemed to last no longer than a week or so after all the quills were pulled out.
    Good luck, and feel better soon. :)

8. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Have the entire digit amputated. Next time, the cactus will not have any finger to stick. You'll also loose several grams of weight.

9. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I was once stuck by some cholla in the first knuckle of my pinkie finger. I pulled what I thought was the whole needle out but I still had lingering irritation. After about 2 weeks I developed a small, pimple-like bump on my finger. Being the internet Dr. that I am, I promptly popped that sucker and along with the pus and blood, out came another needle! The needle was intact, 3-4mm long, and much to their disgust, shown to nearby friends and family. Who says I'm not a giver.
    You probably just have a lingering piece of cacti needle in there or sometimes the needle sheds a thin coating that takes forever to dissolve or purge.

10. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Oh, and don't forget the surgical fasciotomy of the tendon and sheath, just for kicks. Those spines have a miiniscule hook on the end, just to make Your life more miserable.

11. El Rey

El Rey New Member

bookbinder
    sounds like time for the razor blade and straight pin, and if you can't dig that sucker out then go see the doc.

12. freezy562

freezy562 New Member

I'd soak it in epson salt and warm water for about 15minutes, Sqeeeze then go to work with sterilized sewing needle. Works every time.

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

What Ross said..... alot of catus spins are hooked on the end, along with more even finer spines on the bigger spines.

Sounds like you have an infection building up from still having some of it in your finger, either the "fluff" or the main spine left a peice in......... Soak it, if it comes to surface pop it....... give it another week before hitting the doctor unless it becomes hot, or intensly painfull

14. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    I had one go into my forearm, go into a tendon, and break off underneath the skin. Had to go to the doctor to dig it out. It was NOT bueno. Go to the doctor; if it gets infected, you could end up in a bad place.

15. robmcd

robmcd Member

Bartender, Eco-tour guide, Scallywag (trader joes)
    Hey look on the bright side... Better your finger than your tire... Hope you get better.

16. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    word

17. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    I had the exact same thing happened, but from El Moro. My right hand was so swollen I couldn't even bend my fingers. The swelling went on for about a month. I had surgery scheduled to clean out the infection, but the swelling went away on its own just a couple of days before.

18. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

No hablo espanol...

19. biknpam

biknpam Member

so people DUCT TAPE... should carry it on you anyway since it's great for fixing things. The next time you run into cactus, take a piece of tape and rub it on the spot and gently pull. It usually takes out all the spines, even those itty butty ones.

You probably have a spine embedded and your body is sending white blood cells to destroy it. After awhile it may "pop" out with oozing pus. If you "assist" it with tweezers and a needle, be sure to carefully cleanse the area after to prevent infection. Otherwise its off to the doctor.

20. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Cactus is why I carry pliers with me. I remember I was hiking once and there happened to be a really small cactus. Somehow I was walking and somehow flipped it onto the back of my calf. I freaked out because I thought a snake bit me and swung my arm to hit the thing on my calf. The cactus (I had the whole leaf on me) broke off from the spines and rolled further down my leg. Luckily I had pliers that day. Moral of the story- carry pliers.