STR'S CRASH! and the way the site is now.

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by hill^billy, Jul 19, 2010.

1. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    I love STR and all the great people I have met because of it. I missed it very much for the week or two it was infected and couldn't have been happier when it was resolved. The only thing I really miss is the my recent post, but that was a relatively new feature anyway.

STR...PHUCK YEAH

2. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Most people hate change, especially when its unexpected. This place is a network of good people and great information. I'm just glad a site like this exists.

3. hobie

hobie Member

i can tell its different but i cant put my finger on exactly how. so it doesnt bother me i suppose. i am an active member on about 10 different forums and they are all different so i guess i am more tolerant than most

4. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

No worries, I also thanked your OP as well as some of what you posted is absolutely true.

Your OP was merely the most recent thread for me to respond how I feel about the changes as well. Again, My post was pointed to everyone here on STR.

There were many posts made that were much more nastier and negative and really, those were who I was specifically aiming for.

STR isn't perfect, but I have yet to find a MTB site that is better and does so much for me for so little on my part.

You have nothing to be forgiven for IMHO. Everyone has an opinion and welcomed to air it - but consequences will follow even mere suggestions, as I have learned myself (registration/licenses anyone?).

This place has a deep rooted following and any post that may be construed as an attack usually meets with a stern and quick defense.

May others enjoy our home as much as we do !!!

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Something changed? When, what, how come I wasn't told?

6. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    Cool

No worries, not attacking, just wondering, and hopeful for improvement.

7. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    Same here... It's really not ALL that different. I kinda like the new setup, but I miss the "Threads you posted on" thing and seeing random pictures on the front page :). It was cool seeing all your MTB adventures!

8. bosco

bosco New Member

Operations Director
    +1 I do miss the my recent post section, and hopefully it will make its way back. Other than that all is good, was easy to adapt. Just rebuilt my laptop from a crash and it's different, and I can't seem to put my finger on it, so just got used to the little changes. This site has been great for me to meet new riders, and information.
    :beer: Cheers to all those who spent the long hours and frustration to bring this site up so quickly.:clap:

9. Bonty

Bonty Punk Rockin for 30 years~

When the site crashed I had some withdrawls which drove me to risk virus infection daily to see if the site was fixed...lol

10. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    Eh, like any mouse, when someone moves my cheese, I go find it.
    Adapt or perish.

As long as the people are the same, STR is the same. The rest is just window dressing.

11. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    I love STR no matter what.

- shud

12. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    first post in some time , always enjoy seeing the pic's and ride reports ! Thanks Nancy !

13. sickboy433

sickboy433 New Member

local 433 union ironworker
    STR is the best! I learned how to do things the right way in different aspects of my mtbing. It dosint matter what changes as long as I can join the fun. Hell a lot of things change my wife's attitude (worse) my sanity, the price of gas, my work hours, the oil level in the Gulf but one thing hasint changed ...STR is still FREE !!!!!!!

14. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    Never said STR was not a great site. I just said I don't like it as much. When I change my bike, I always try to make sure the next bike is better.

15. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Some people, like me, don't adapt well to change. The ones that do adapt well to change chastise the ones that don't.

At this point, I'm less inclined to hang on here. Part of it is because I'm busy watching the Tour De France. Most of it is because I get frustrated trying to figure things out.

I'm mad because my photo albums disappeared. There are 10 out of 25 or so showing and that's it. The OCD side of me wants them back in neat and tidy order.

I'm mad because I have to relearn how to upload photo's again. It looks different and after talking to a couple folks, they have said it's still the same but it's not on my computer.

It was always a pain anyway what with having to open 2 STR windows if you wanted to put in text above each picture. Now I can't figure it out at all. :?: I'm frustrated.

I'd like to have a '"Photo" menu tab like there used to be for easy access to personal albums and all albums.

And the emoticons are tiny and you have to hit "Go Advanced" if you want to access them.
    I miss the most recent photo's on the home page and I also miss I posted here.

So no! I'm not particularly happy but none of this was George's fault and I'm sure he's working his arse off trying to get things worked out.

I'll still donate to STR and I still love the community but no, I don't like change very much.

Flame me if you want! I'll just go in to a dark corner and weep. Or stick a stick in your spokes on the next social ride.

16. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    not to pile on, but do we really need the classifieds on the front page? seems like a waste of space.

17. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

It was a solution for those who complained about not seeing Market Place adds like in the old MP when just about every other post on the home page was a MP post. This way, people see the adds since most feel their adds weren't being seen. The adds are seen now, you can tell by the views counts, just not replied to like "cool deal", "too bad it's not a medium"..., etc. You can comment on the adds, we just don't see it. Still those who are MP fans aren't happy. Can't please them all I guess.

18. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Wait, what's STR?

Where am I?

Oh, you mean that bike site. Yeah, it's still pretty cool. Decent people too, from what I'm told.

Lotsa people that like singlespeeds and IPA...what more could you ask for, really?

19. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    There has been lots of work done to get the site fairly functional again and there's still things on the to do list which I have mentioned before. This includes: photos on the homepage similar to what we had before and something on the homepage to keep track of things you've posted on before (also similar to what we had before). There's also some aesthetic tweaks here and there I've been meaning to make. But bear with me.

20. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Don't forget to post up pics of your bod again for us. Particularly for the girls (not me n Quinn) and Pain Freak to enjoy!