Stolen Bike Story with a Happy Ending!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waldo, May 1, 2012.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Great to see justice prevail, and there are some very good tips in the story as well.

edit: Was trying to link directly, but I guess STR doesn't allow us to link to this other mtb forum (?).
    The direct link is also in the OP on this SurferMag BB thread

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  2. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

Check link?

3. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    What did she use to put her name on the bike frame? I used rub-on letters to get my name on my old track bike that got stolen but I assume you could just rub them off.

4. Waldo

It's linked via the SurferMag BB - click on those words

5. Monster Mash

Monster Mash New Member

Here it is.... http://tiny.cc/n5vodw

I
    f you can't get a link to work put it in "tinylink.in" and it will give you a usable link.

6. guero

guero iFroth

here...

[TABLE="class: tablesurround, width: 950, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="class: tableborders, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: lighttable, width: 83%, bgcolor: #EAF4F4"]
    Some of you may remember the post that I put up a few weeks ago about my beloved 2011 Pivot Firebird being stolen off the back of my car (yes, they cut the cable lock off). Well, I’m here to tell you that this story has a happy ending!

With the help of the great mtn bike community and a few very AWESOME individuals within this community, I was able to get my bike back from the thieves and actually take her (double-D, because she’s pure tits to ride – LOL) out on the trails this past weekend. WooHoo!!!

Without writing a complete novel, I’ll give you the highlights on how this all went down:

Apr 16 – Bike stolen

Apr 18 – Posted info about stolen bike on mtn bike forums

Apr 19 – DT’s own LeninMo notices ad on San Francisco’s craigslist and begins email dialog with thief and notifies me.

Apr 20 – I confirm through pics sent to Leninmo that the bike is definitely mine.

Apr 20 – 24 – Leninmo, his brother and I try to get a meeting set up, but no cops available over the weekend and sketchy communication with thief prevented this. Thief stops all communication with Leninmo on 24th.

Apr 23 – Finally get detective to call me and I send him all of the information that has been gathered so far.

Apr 23 – Get email from a guy in VA wondering if the ad he saw in SF’s craigslist was my bike. I confirm with him and ask him to help us out by not acting interested any longer.

Apr 25 – Get email from DT’s Milo, thief contacts him about his interest in bike.

Apr 25 – 27 – Milo and I work together to get a meeting set up with his “cousin” that lives down in SD to come and get the bike.

Apr 27 7:10pm - Cousin (my friend Henry) calls thief and confirms meeting spot. I immediately notify the detective and tell him the plan.

Apr 27 8:05pm – My roommate and I go down to meeting spot (Old Town trolley station – bus stops) and visually verify that thieves are there (he brought back-up) and they have Double-D. I call detective.

Apr 27 8:08pm – Patrol officer calls me and leaves me on phone while he and another squad car roll to scene. While they are rolling, I contact Henry and he texts thief and stalls him. As the cops get closer, I keep an eye on the thieves and describe them to the officers over the phone.

Apr 27 8:18pm – Officers roll up on thieves. One guy looks dejected and the other one takes off running. The cops cuff one and go chase the other with more squad cars and a helicopter.

Apr 27 8:27pm – Officer calls me to verify serial number on bike. He confirms that it is my beloved Double-D.

Apr 27 8:45pm- I get out of the car and do the happy dance in front of the officers as they are walking MY bike back to me! Once pictures are taken by the officer (to prove I got my bike) and some questions answered, the cops leave and I proceed to ride double-D around the parking lot a few times in a victory lap.

So, there you go. That’s my happy ending! Many, many thanks to everyone who helped out. I wouldn’t have ever seen her again if it wasn’t for Leninmo, Milo, VA guy and Henry. The best part of this stupid ordeal was watching the whole thing go down with the cops and seeing the dejected look on the thief’s face as he sat handcuffed on the curb. Now that was satisfying!

Here’s my lessons learned:

1. I would not have got my bike back if I didn’t have the serial number to identify it. Please make sure you have the serial number of your bike written down somewhere, or have your name etched somewhere on the bike. Special parts, i.e. handlebars, seats, wheels, etc. don’t mean anything to the police. They only use the serial number or name to ID the owner. Put your name and phone number on a piece of paper and put it in the seat tube. You can always have the cops pull it out to verify ownership.
    2. Cable Lock + Time = Stolen bike. I will never use a cable lock again. I will be purchasing heavy duty motorcycle chain locks to lock my bikes to my tray rack. I suggest doing the same. They’re expensive, but worth it to still have your bike.
    3. Thieves are stupid. Mountain bikers are smarter. YAY!
    4. The mountain biking community is amazing. Getting all the help and suggestions that I did was a testament to what kind of people we are and how we can all ban together for the greater good. I won’t get on my soapbox too much, but can you imagine what we could accomplish in this city if ALL of us were united in a common cause? The possibilities are endless.
    5. Never mess with a woman and her beloved mountain bike. You mess with the bull, you’re gonna get the horns!!!!

Ok, I guess that was kind of a novel. Hope you enjoyed it.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

7. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Fantastic Stolen/Returned Bike Story!

I got this email from a friend earlier today. Maybe some of you know 'Wendy', I don't but I'm sure happy for her.
    Now I'm going to go out and update my serial #'s on my bikes to make sure I have them all.
    You should too.

"Just read an online post about Wendy getting her Pivot back - and thieves got busted.

What an awesome deal. Bike thieves suck - even when they steal Pivots.

Here is the post I saw.....

Some of you may remember the post that I put up a few weeks ago about my beloved 2011 Pivot Firebird being stolen off the back of my car (yes, they cut the cable lock off). Well, I’m here to tell you that this story has a happy ending!

With the help of the great mtn bike community and a few very AWESOME individuals within this community, I was able to get my bike back from the thieves and actually take her (double-D, because she’s pure tits to ride – LOL) out on the trails this past weekend. WooHoo!!!

Without writing a complete novel, I’ll give you the highlights on how this all went down:

Apr 16 – Bike stolen

Apr 18 – Posted info about stolen bike on mtn bike forums

Apr 19 – DT’s own LeninMo notices ad on San Francisco’s craigslist and begins email dialog with thief and notifies me.

Apr 20 – I confirm through pics sent to Leninmo that the bike is definitely mine.

Apr 20 – 24 – Leninmo, his brother and I try to get a meeting set up, but no cops available over the weekend and sketchy communication with thief prevented this. Thief stops all communication with Leninmo on 24th.

Apr 23 – Finally get detective to call me and I send him all of the information that has been gathered so far.

Apr 23 – Get email from a guy in VA wondering if the ad he saw in SF’s craigslist was my bike. I confirm with him and ask him to help us out by not acting interested any longer.

Apr 25 – Get email from DT’s Milo, thief contacts him about his interest in bike.

Apr 25 – 27 – Milo and I work together to get a meeting set up with his “cousin” that lives down in SD to come and get the bike.

Apr 27 7:10pm - Cousin (my friend Henry) calls thief and confirms meeting spot. I immediately notify the detective and tell him the plan.

Apr 27 8:05pm – My roommate and I go down to meeting spot (Old Town trolley station – bus stops) and visually verify that thieves are there (he brought back-up) and they have Double-D. I call detective.

Apr 27 8:08pm – Patrol officer calls me and leaves me on phone while he and another squad car roll to scene. While they are rolling, I contact Henry and he texts thief and stalls him. As the cops get closer, I keep an eye on the thieves and describe them to the officers over the phone.

Apr 27 8:18pm – Officers roll up on thieves. One guy looks dejected and the other one takes off running. The cops cuff one and go chase the other with more squad cars and a helicopter.

Apr 27 8:27pm – Officer calls me to verify serial number on bike. He confirms that it is my beloved Double-D.

Apr 27 8:45pm- I get out of the car and do the happy dance in front of the officers as they are walking MY bike back to me! Once pictures are taken by the officer (to prove I got my bike) and some questions answered, the cops leave and I proceed to ride double-D around the parking lot a few times in a victory lap.

So, there you go. That’s my happy ending! Many, many thanks to everyone who helped out. I wouldn’t have ever seen her again if it wasn’t for Leninmo, Milo, VA guy and Henry. The best part of this stupid ordeal was watching the whole thing go down with the cops and seeing the dejected look on the thief’s face as he sat handcuffed on the curb. Now that was satisfying!

Here’s my lessons learned:

1. I would not have got my bike back if I didn’t have the serial number to identify it. Please make sure you have the serial number of your bike written down somewhere, or have your name etched somewhere on the bike. Special parts, i.e. handlebars, seats, wheels, etc. don’t mean anything to the police. They only use the serial number or name to ID the owner. Put your name and phone number on a piece of paper and put it in the seat tube. You can always have the cops pull it out to verify ownership.
    2. Cable Lock + Time = Stolen bike. I will never use a cable lock again. I will be purchasing heavy duty motorcycle chain locks to lock my bikes to my tray rack. I suggest doing the same. They’re expensive, but worth it to still have your bike.
    3. Thieves are stupid. Mountain bikers are smarter. YAY!
    4. The mountain biking community is amazing. Getting all the help and suggestions that I did was a testament to what kind of people we are and how we can all ban together for the greater good. I won’t get on my soapbox too much, but can you imagine what we could accomplish in this city if ALL of us were united in a common cause? The possibilities are endless.
    5. Never mess with a woman and her beloved mountain bike. You mess with the bull, you’re gonna get the horns!!!!

Ok, I guess that was kind of a novel. Hope you enjoyed it"

8. Jackson

Jackson Member

Doin Stuff
    So cool. Hopefully they will be in jail for more than a few hours.

9. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

What a great story!!! We all seem to be careless from time to time, but stories like this remind us to take care of our belongings, even if it might seem like a minor inconvenience at the time. Thanks for sharing.

10. guero

guero iFroth

11. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

It would have been better if the cops shot and killed the thieves via sniper rifle on top of building 400 yards away

12. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    bit much don't you think? tazer in this situation would be more than enough.

13. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Tazers dont solve problems....

Criminal gets tazed and goes to jail...Gets out of jail and commits another crime.

14. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    you're right.. sniper gun it is.

15. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Treboucht. Once you get the range right, it would get the job done right. Messily, but right.

Alternatively, the thieves could be used as the ammunition for said trebouchet.

16. Waldo

Steal a hucker, get hucked. Works for me!
    And we could aim the trebuochet into a recent burn area, providing soylent green fertilizer to stimulate plant regrowth. Win-win.