SRAM vs Shimano Drivetrain

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by foofighter, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm in that same boat...build...build...sell...trade....buy...now my bike is the way I like it so I do that now w/ my s/w fish tank...same obession different hobby....:beer:

2. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Well, so am I so that won't be a problem. But no thanks, I'll keep the one I've got.:)

3. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    *Well, so am I so that won't be a problem. But no thanks, I'll keep the one I've got.:)*

dang it! i guess i'm stuck with her. :lol:

4. jake

jake c('.'c)

Still rockin' 8 Speed..

I still ride 8 speed Shimano and love it! I'm even considering building my next bike with NEW 8 spd parts. ..unless I end up with an Epic that comes with SRAM. No likey the new Shimano 9 speed on my friends' bikes.

5. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    I ride both and prefer the SRAM. It just seems crisper, not faster really just crisper. If i changed out the Shimano it'd be just so I don't have to fight the brain farts when I swithc back and forth between bikes. I really don't like the Shimano 105 on my road bike though and have been wondering if the SRAM road stuff is as good as X9 I have on the Heckler.

6. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Right on!!

8 speed rules:bang:

7. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    Bike snob.

8. Amon Amarth

Amon Amarth New Member

Operator / Fire Fighter, Chevron Refinery, El Segu
    These will be on the hardtail i'm secretly building, with a 2x8 dura ace drive train.[​IMG]

9. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I hated Shimano but didn't realize it until I switched over to SRAM. That is the best thing I have ever done bike wise. Now, you literally adjust after the first ride and never have to touch the SRAM stuff again. The only drivetrain stuff I like from Shimano is their cranksets. Other than that, i am all SRAM. All my friends I converted are sold.

10. papisimo11

papisimo11 I Support Darwin

I have 2 identical Paragon 29ers, one with SRAM XO(with an XT front Der. cuz the X Gen one is absolute crap) and Bonty XXXX Lite Carbon Cranks with the super shi shi Stronglite chainrings. The other Paragon has 2006 XTR, with the trigger shifters and the Low normal rear der.
    The comparison isn't even close. Shimano blows it away in every way. The shifting is so much more precise not to mention easier under a load with the Low normal rear der.
    Also, I had the XTR gruppo on my Flux initially, and I never had the "mis shifts" that were talked about by previous posters.
    Really wanted to like the SRAM, but it always feels sloppy, my knuckles constantly cause mis shifts by hitting the triggers. To me Gripshift alters my position too much by having to have my right wrist constantly "cocked(no pun intended)" ready to twist. Forget that.
    When I go to grab one of my bikes to ride, I almost always grab the one w/ XTR, just because of the XTR.
    To me my 07 SRAM XO feels like my 1995 XT gruppo, no joke.
    Love SRAM chains though.
    I know SRAM has excellent CS. But have some shimano components that have really been beaten up, and they still work flawlessly.
    my 0.02
    paz afuera

11. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Hey I use Shimano and I ride plenty! ;)

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I started with XT, and I like them, no real problems. Got my next bike and went with XTR, and had nothing but problems. I gave up and took it to the LBS who did the best they could with it.I finally just accepted the fact that I'd continually have to keep adjusting it. I then demo'ed a few bikes with the Sram stuff and fell in love with it. I know it's faster with my bikes, and very dependable. True I'm on my second XO on my bike that's only two years old, but that was due to rider error. The guys at 2 different LBS's also tell me there's no real difference in durability between the two.
    I had grip shift which recently I switched over to trigger shift and it's taking a little getting used to. But I do like it. If I had to choose I'd go with Sram, then XTR.

13. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    I run XT/XTR on a couple of my bikes, and XO on another. The Shimano stuff seems to need a lot of attention (cable adjustments, cleaning), whereas the SRAM stuff works and works until it finally just blows up, literally. I've had two XO der. completely explode on me, pins and springs flying everywhere. The best part though, is you take your trashed SRAM stuff to the SRAM trailer at the bigger races, and replacement is around $40, I've never been shown that kind of love from Shimano.
    I should add that I like the way both of them work, it really is a preference. If you are a thrasher who doesn't always take care of your stuff, SRAM might be the better choice. If you like super smooth shifting, and don't mind tinkering with the cables, Shimano would be the way to go.

14. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Somebody who works for Shimano (and SRAM too I guess) should really be watching this page.

At least Shimano is not completely clueless. A few years ago when they were trying to shove dual control down everyone's throats, a ton of people switched to SRAM. Me, included. But I did read an interesting post where they had Shimano folks from Japan working the summer at bike shops and working on SRAM bikes, Avid brakes etc. Next thing you know some of that new XTR looks a whole lot like some of the SRAM stuff and the trigger shifters come back with thumb only shifting options.

15. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

The only drivetrain stuff I like from Shimano is their cranksets. :bang:

I only run Shimano cranks on my bikes and my kids

16. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

XO blow up

funny a few years ago my buddy and I were riding along on a fireroad and and Pop his high $$ SRAM XO drl just blew up on pieces. WTF. We had to convert his bike to SS so he could ride it home.

That left a bad taste in my mouth and wanted nothing to do with Sram. Heck my Shimano stuff never did that:lol:

Then about a year or two later I purchased a bike that had Sram stuff. 8-[ I almost didn't buy the bike because of the X9 groupo.:-k

Boy was I wrong. I was so happy with the X9 stuff that every geared bike I have built since has had Sram shifters and rear drls. Heck even the X7 stuff on my son's bike works great.

It sounds like the XO stuff may not be very durable:?:

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Knock on wood, but I've got XO on my Dos and haven't had any issues. I'm pretty careful with the bike (especially hiking it over rocks, etc.). But, I've got the rear shifter and rear derailleur as XO and it's been great.

I've got Shimano on my Enduro and it's been great also. I love the new XTR shifters as well.

My Demo has I think X7 shifting and X9 r. derailleur and as mentioned previously, the r.d was effed until Justin messed with it :)

18. mcgyver0302

mcgyver0302 Life behind bars

Slave
    Home Page:
    Hey Keith, I think you got those two mixed up... you did mean SRAM shifts faster, didn't you. Personally I won't go back to Shimano...:beer:

19. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

this is great feebdback folks! i agree with pho...i hope the boys and girls at shimano and sram read this thread they could learn a thing or two...

20. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

justin, with your wealth and power...replacing your stable with SRAM should be a SNAP :)