Specialized Tires - GRID vs. 2bliss

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by dubjay, Sep 17, 2009.

1. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
  2. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    It looks like true UST(no sealant needed) vs. 2bliss (ust bead, std sidewall, needing sealant to hold air).

I would imagine that the weight difference would be substantial. Don't know for sure though.

3. minhster

minhster DNF'd

I'm using the S-Works Fast Traks 2Bliss on Mavic Crosstrails (UST rims) and they will only hold air for maybe a day without sealant. I added Stan's and now it holds air perfectly!

So i'm pretty sure Ken is right about the 2Bliss having only the beads and the GRID UST being a true UST tire.

From Specialized:

2BLISS MTB TIRES:
    There's a reason why our MTB pro team rides 2Bliss tires-they want a tire that can handle the low pressure they run (sometimes 25 psi) for durability and better traction, but they also want light weight. Specialized 2Bliss blends the best of both worlds. It's not your standard tubetype (TT), which is lightweight, but can fall short on puncture resistance and "burps" when used with sealant. And it's not your standard tubeless (UST) that reducespinch flats and the need for sealant, but often adds 200+ grams. 2Bliss is a whole new design that uses TT casing with a special UST bead, replacing the standard UST heavy backing with strategically placed rubber only around the bead. The result is a perfect tire for the discerning MTB rider: low pressure allowance, no burping and fewer grams than its forefathers.

Most of our MTB tires come in the revolutionary 2Bliss configuration, except for Sport models (DH, Armadillo, Armadillo Elite and 29" tires excluded); TT and UST are no more. If you want to run our 2Bliss with a tube, be our guest. Without a tube, just grab a batch of our AirLockĀ® Pro sealant, and you're well on your way to a longer, better mountain ride, again and again.

GRID UST LIGHT: Looking for a UST light option? Now available throughout our MTB tire line, GRID UST lend the superior durability associated with UST, without the need for sealant. GRID saves weight over standard UST tires, without sacrificing durability in both tread and sidewall.

4. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    Looks like GRID UST is Specialized's version of a true UST tire. Their 2Bliss tires are tubeless "ready". This means some type of sealant is required to make them airtight. Bontrager has a tubeless "ready" version of their tires as well. Unless it has UST stamped on the tire then they are not true tubeless tires (for the most part).

Either way, I would recommend running some type of sealant in the tire whether it is a true tubeless tire or not. Just be careful as this will void the warranty on the tires of some manufacturers. Kenda and Maxxis come to mind. I know from experience that Stan's sealant will cause tread separation on the Maxxis tires eventually.

5. dubjay

Home Page:
    I'd actually prefer to use sealant to protect against thorn punctures.

I would imagine the GRID sidewalls are a little more robust compared to the 2bliss versions.

I guess it boils down to which is lighter.

GRID w/ a little sealant
    2bliss w/ 2-3oz of sealant

:-k

6. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Or try the new 2bliss armadillo version, very beefy sidewalls.:wave:

7. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    My bike is a pitcher not a catcher....

With a kevlar (bulletproof 330 tpi) belt typically thorns are not a problem, that's why cars tires no longer requires tubes or sealant. Spesh is not even in my top ten, and their product planners obviously have short memories as GRIDS (Gay related) was the original term for Aids.:lol:

Still though I'll give them props for offering better tires than all that sloppy pseudo UST nonsense, time will tell if it holds air. (I'll be on Mountain kings though)

8. F.A.D.

Feeds me
    So I take it that you are looking for a new race tire for an endurance event?

9. dubjay

Home Page:
    That is correct. Since the JET9 was recalled, I have to resort to my Plan B bike for the 12 hour finale @ Temecula.

10. F.A.D.

Feeds me
    If there isn't a real rocky section with sharp rocks (think motorway), I would just go with the 2bliss version w/stan's. s-works or control version should work just fine! I have a couple with a few miles on them if you want to use it for the race. s-works 2.2 and 2.0.

11. dubjay

Home Page:
    That's what the plan was. I usually use the 2bliss Control versions w/ Stans. Was just wondering if the GRID would be any better.

12. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Which one is better with tubes?

13. minhster

minhster DNF'd

2bliss

14. onegymrat

onegymrat New Member

Grinder
    I consulted with Pato about my Captain Control 2Bliss 2.0 last week. Tire has fair traction left but sidewalls are constantly "weeping" Stan's from various spots. Started to do so after 200 miles or so. I run this rear tire at 28psi or so but it loses about 10psi every week. I'm afraid that it will just pop one day on the trail. Looking for new rear tire with same performance as this tire but everything out there seems heavier and/or much more $.

Specialized claims that their Captain Control 2Bliss 2.0 is 604g (actual on my digital scale was 605g) and the Captain Grid UST 2.0 is 765g claimed.

15. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Old trick, if you want to seal non tubeless tires a light coat of rubber cement on the inside does the trick.

Dean

16. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    No biggie. Specialized 2-Bliss tires weep--always. It's like riding a Harley. If it stops leaking, it's time to add more.

I've never had one "pop," although I've gashed a couple sidewalls. Something to watch for is "blistering" in the tread area. I've never had a 2-Bliss last more than 650 miles without getting blisters (maybe it's delamination). The condition won't end a ride and Specialized will warranty the tires, so it's not a big deal to me. If they didn't warranty this defect, I would stop using their tires.

17. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

wow, 650 miles is a decent amount of a dirt tire.

2bliss= regular tire, with ust bead...... just helps with making it a tubeless tire, in all seriousness, use the prolock instead of the stans, it works better with the speccy tires

Grid.... Speccy's ust tire, its lighter than regular UST tires, I would still def use sealant with this one.

Which ones better??? Neither. The puncture resistance is the same, if your going to run a tube, absolutly run the 2bliss, if your running tubeless, take your pick. Only reason tehy have the grid... some people really dont want to run sealant.