Sooo many flats....upgrade tires and tubes?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by mako my day, Sep 16, 2014.

1. .:Made in OC:.

.:Made in OC:. New Member

Holy flats batman! I ride Aliso at least 3 times a week, averaging about 30miles in total. I've only had a flat once in the last 4 years at Aliso down Lynx. (Knock on wood)

I definitely recommend you make the move to a tubeless conversion kit. Stans fluid saved me mid ride and kept enough air to get me back to the car with no problems. With the conversion, you'll be able to drop the PSI down to 30-35 for better grip.

Btw, what specific trails are you riding and running into those thorns? Ill make sure to avoid them!

2. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Use slime and always get out

3. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Accountant
    I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. Do you break the thorns by rubbing the inside of the tire or do you locate them and then pull them completely out? If you're doing the former, you're not really pulling out the thorns.

Also, you mentioned that your tires are bald. I think that this has more to do with the flats than anything else. I would replace the tires first and see what happens. Lastly, there's nothing wrong with the tubes at Performance. They work fine.

4. Enriquez

Enriquez Member

I have been riding at Aliso Woods for a good steady 4 yrs now. 2 flats that I can remember...and one of them was a pinch flat due to low air pressure on Rock-It Trail.
    Not sure what exactly is causing your flats but if you keep your current ratio up, I'm going to buy some Forte stock. Good Luck!

5. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Accountant
    If he buys 10 tubes, he can get another one for free with the 10% cash back. He's getting a deal!

6. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I run tubeless now on my Mtn bike (no flats any more... really!) but when I used to commute I was a big believer in the Mr. Tuffy style liners.
    Now on my 'Cross bike I run tubes with Stan's in them. Seems to be a pretty good compromise.
    Adding a little weight is a small price to pay for not getting stuck.

As an aside, anyone who commutes should take a look at the Schwalbe Marathon line of tires. These things are practically bullet-proof with al the extra rubber on the tread side.

7. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Accountant
    Since the flats aren't happening on the trails, that means you have a slow leak. Your previous post mentions that you have several patches on your tires. I wonder if the air is escaping through some of your patches. I would try new tubes and maybe tires (since they're bald) before doing anything else. If that doesn't solve the problem, then try the kevlar liners, going tubless etc. My buddy Enriquez rides Aliso several times a week and rarely has any flats. I rode there last week and didn't have any issues. That lead me to believe that the issue isn't the trails, but something you're either doing or not doing. Good luck.

8. mako my day

mako my day New Member

Commercial door, frame and hardware supplier.
    After extensive investigating today during a 17 mile loop, I found the goat head villages. Located at my entry and exists to the park. Near SOCA and canyon Vista.
    Got new tires, tubes, and tuffy liners today. Lets see what the morning brings.

9. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    I am confused, in another post you state you usually dont find the flat until you get home...how do you get 7 flats a week when you are nit flatting on the trail and ride 3-4 times a week?

Not reason to exagerat, you clearly have a problem with flats:) I have been tubeless for years and Inhave never flatted at Aliso...

10. mako my day

mako my day New Member

Mostly the tires go flat after the ride due to the goatheads slowly allowing air to escape through the pin holes.

As of this mornings 8 mile loop, I had 3 goat heads. Pulled them out, and so far, no flats on the new tires and tubes. Rock and road has 3 tubes for the price of 2.

My old tires, being only 7 months old, were crusty, thin, and beat to hell. The new rubbers are awesome.

11. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    If I had that many flats I would take up another sport. Instead of wasting money on tubes get a good tubeless/stans setup and don't look back.

12. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    Bwaaaaaaahahaha....

13. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    ^ This. Tire strips do work well, but I found that they can wander sideways inside the tire a bit. I found tubeless (even ghetto setups) to be no more hassle and gave me better overall performance. I did notice the weight of the strips, and they don't protect against pinch flats. Using tubes with a pressure that doesn't allow for frequent pinch flats means the tires are too hard and traction really suffers. Since the OP says he rides hard and is a big guy, I'd think this pinch flats vs traction conundrum is also a concern.

14. mako my day

mako my day New Member

Day 2. No flats. I haven't been this lucky in 3 months.
    Last weeks tubes.

[​IMG]

15. socal_rider

socal_rider Member

Here is my wife's tire after riding through a patch of goat heads. She said she pulled out over 100 per tire. Luckily I had just set her up tubeless.
    [​IMG]

16. strobe

strobe resident noob

Remind me not to ride with you all. I've had a total of 3 goatheads in the past year. Only one flatted me since i hadn't added enough slime to my tube. Now, slime in front tube and caffelatex tubeless in the rear. Still don't want to test it. Enjoy your goathead trails. lol.

17. socal_rider

socal_rider Member

What's funny is that was all just from a 50 ft long transition between trails that had been freshly mowed.

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    If I needed to use that section of trail I would either take a broom and sweep it or find another way around. To repeatedly ride it knowing about the problem and not carry your bike over it is hard for me to understand....50ft!

19. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

The side of the pavement leading to my local trailhead sometimes covered in goatheads too. After learning where goatheads grew and what they looked like, I couldn't believe I used to ignorantly rode on the side of the road through the thick of it, despite that road getting rather minimal traffic. Also the giant tumbleweed that get blown to the side of the road can load you up with thorns too... I know the last time I rode gloveless, I was picking them out of my fist and surprisingly they were bleeding; thought I had clearly dodged it too. I was watching my tire fling them away though, since they aren't as strong enough to pierce through tires like the goatheads.

I don't go without tire sealant in my tubes or tires. Not worth the time to patch up 6+ holes at once, and the cost of tubes can be like paying for gas, considering the mileage you get out of them.

20. socal_rider

socal_rider Member

It was a one time deal. Freshly mowed. My wife was being a big girl and riding solo. She's a newb and didn't recognize the potential situation. Live and learn.

Thanks for your concern though.