SoCal X-Enduro 2/8/14

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Spartticus, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

Hats of to the Socal Endurance & Team Big Bear crew for putting on a fun Enduro event yesterday at Vail Lake (Temecula). I competed in my first Enduro mountain bike race and I can see why this type of competition/race is growing in popularity. My twitter-esque review of the Enduro format: grab any bike you have, bust your gut on a closed course with lung-searing downhill segments, and compare notes with new/old friends as you leisurely ride back up to to do it all over. :bang:

They called this one an Extended Enduro because it had 5 runs! Good race/$ quotient. I'll share a video of run #3. Enduro #3 was fast up top with a tricky rutted out section I had to jump over after starting it on the wrong side. This run, of the 5, dropped the most vertical feet in the shortest distance, I think. It then dumped into a fireroad that was super fast (read anaerobic fast) and had several sick jumps and doubles that you could catch some good air on. I’d love to come back and do these again.

[video=vimeo;86242559]http://vimeo.com/86242559[/video]

The video's and descriptions of each run are available on my blog (natespin).... see my signature.

2. Old School

Old School Member

Cool video! You were flying!

3. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    Clean footage, excellent performance as well...

4. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

awesome race footage bro you pulled it all together nice job!

5. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Nice! Did you mount camera on the bar? Ive done that before my it vibrates like crazy. Probably because of fork ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    OK that looks like fun :)
    Hey whats the 1 cable into 2 cable thing?

7. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

Thanks, guys! The runs certainly felt fast and I was out-of-breath by the finish line. For the GoPro mount, I use a K-Edge bar mount and I can securely tighten it to the bar so there aren't as many rattles or pings as you get with the stock bar mount. I also flip it backwards (towards stem) so you get the bar and edge of garmin in the frame of the shot. This helps with the image seeming more stable since the bar and garmin are moving the same, relative to the GoPro.

As for the wacky 1 cable into 2 cables... that's the new 2014 Fox front/rear lockout system on the Trek Superfly FS 9.8. It's untidy, no doubt, and I'm not a fan of how it works. The lever is in the way of the front shifter and the "trail" position (which is 80% of riding conditions) is in the middle mode -the easist mode to knock it out of. Oh, and I can't lockout the rear but keep the front in "trail" mode like I did with last years fox ctd system (good for fireroad climbs). Ok...need some cheese with this whine.

8. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

Nice video, bummed I missed the race, but I was still running a fever. My teammate won Pro and another got second in Expert.

9. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Great video and good speed. Were you familiar with those trails and the jumps, or did you hit all of that for your first time on the race run?

10. Spartticus

Spartticus Member

I was racing blind on the top part - nothing like reading the terrain as it comes to you at race pace! I had been on the fireroad before and seen the jumps but never taken or jumped them. Just committed to it! There were some guys who were able to clear the entire table-top at the end - I P'd out and jumped onto the top, not having done it before!