Sladnas Firestorm/SD Newbie Ride

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by bjammin, Oct 27, 2007.

1. bjammin

bjammin Banned

I'm broke!
    Ok STR, time to give San Diego some much needed love after the firestorm that just rained down on San Diego and celebrate with Mark aka Sladnas who will be receiving a new bike from Adrenaline Bike Shop through the donations given by STR members. SAR Boats has set up this link so you can donate towards the bike fund. Thanks in advance.
    http://socaltrailriders.chipin.com/str-bike-relief

This ride will bring STR members from SD, LA, OC, Riverside and San Bernadino Counties together.

It will be held at Daley Ranch in Escondido SD at 9am, with a ride time of 9:30. "C" group departs at 9:15am Sharp!

There will be 3 groups going out. The "A" group will do alot of climbing, but will be rewarded with lots of technical single track descents. This group is for advance intermediate riders because of the number if climbs and pace. The "B" group will do the standard Daley Ranch loop which is 11.8 miles and the "C" group will be doing a similar route, but will leave 15 min prior. As usual these rides will regroup as needed. If you plan on ridng the "C" group which will be the easiest, please be on time. Here is the route:

"A" group route or variation there of: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=1618

"B/C" group route: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=2593

And after the ride:
    Stone is CLOSED this day. OF ALL THE DAYS!!! So we wll BBQ at the park. Please bring something for yourself and family to eat. The Warriors Society will provide sodas and water

Here are the details:
    When: Sunday, Dec 2. Meet at 9am
    Where: Daley Ranch, Escondido
    Directions: From Interstate 15 take El Norte Parkway exit in Escondido east four miles to La Honda Drive, turn left, drive one mile, park in dirt lot on left.

Hope you can make it and as usual,
    No one gets left behind!

2. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    STR, this is also the SD Newbie Ride so the route will be "newbie" friendly. We will update the event as it draws near. It will be held on a Sunday so the boys from Adrenaline can come. Hope many of you can make it out. I'm looking forward to meeting many of the SD folks.

3. bajamtnbkr

bajamtnbkr Banned

Phone Guy
    I'm in!

4. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I'm going to have to sneak away from church... but worth it. Since we're going to have a pretty good sized group, maybe we can get our own tour at Stonehill??? BTW: That 11th anniversary is certainly one of the better ones I've tasted lately.

5. bjammin

bjammin Banned

I'm broke!
    Good call about the private tour. I'll give them a call Monday morning.

6. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Yeah, I'll sneak away from church for this one too. It is worth it indeed.

We may want to make a reservation at Stone. That place can get packed on Sundays, especially for a group our size. Also, just so people know, the food there ain't cheap. It's delicious, but it ain't cheap.

7. genusmtbkr5

denmother [10-29-2007 07:05 AM] - No can do, STR Members awards.

Maybe this can be moved? :-k

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    The SRC awards has been on the calendar for months, so I am thinking not.

If it's not in the morning we will try to make both. I don't have any info on the SRC awards or what they entail, but we did pay for memberships in March.

9. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    if Stone is in the picture (as it should be), should we start a carpooling thread for this ride? :?:

10. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Sounds like good times. I really hope I have my Yeti back by then. I should since it's so far out.

11. genusmtbkr5

Ben, Doug, any word on the private tour of Stone. Also, Can we maybe put together an "A" group route for those not so "newbie". Thanks

12. GP_pilot

GP_pilot Epic Builder

Last I checked

The A group gets to start early and does a Daley double.:lol:

13. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    We'll also need a slow "A" group for us anchors. :(

14. PacMan

PacMan New Member

If we need an "A" and "B" route, it would be no problem having a split off point. The only problem I see would be the group taking the easier route would finish before the other group. If we are wanting a private tour at Stone, this may present a problem. Unless we split in the middle and have them wait for us so we can all finish together. Then the problem is that in my opinion, the harder parts of the ride are towards the end.

I know when we all voted for Daley, we didn't know the SD Newb ride was going to get combined with it. Considering the wide range of abilities even in newbs, it's hard to say Daley is the right trail for them. When I think Newb, I think someone's first or second ride. I personally wouldn't take a newb to Daley. It's far from an advanced level ride, but I do believe it's highlevel beginner-intermediate.

Let me know how you want to do it and we'll make it happen for sure. I just want to let you know of obstacles that are out there.

15. bjammin

bjammin Banned

I'm broke!
    There's about 5 extra miles that can be thrown in with some really good climbs. Both extra options can meet back up with the main group at two different spots.

Xtra 1 : climb up to Stanley peak (old water tank) and down new singletrack meeting up with Diamond Back. Take DB to Coyote to Ranch House. Regroup at Ranch house.

Xtra 2: at the end of Crest trail, turn right and climb up Boulder Loop fire road to hit Rock Ridge single track back down. Regroup at road climb out.

Here's a map:

Attached Files:

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I went out to Daley for my 2nd ride... and we climbed up those hills on the second offshoot from the pavement (heading back to the parking lot). Crazy steep.

But, everyone could start out together on the 12 mi route I do.. there is a bit of climbing, but taking it slow there shouldn't be any problems. Then the faster A group can head out and do the full 12 mile loop (or mix in one or both of those singletracks off to the left, and either head down to the Ranch House, or repeat the climbing). Newbs can just do the easy meadow loop and head back to the parking lot, and everyone else can do Cardiac and the 3 climbs, etc.

:?:

17. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    just my .02 cents but I think this ride should stay together.

This is one of the instances where we are truly together for a reason bigger then the cycling, granted it is what brought us together, and it would be cool to have it as that vibe.

If you need to hammer, do what I do and go early and burn a lap out. I do that on my saturday morning shop rides and it works perfect...I go suffer alone :lol:and then relax and enjoy the ride with the group.

This could be one of those rides where you forget you are even on a bike and just have fun. I'm willing to tow a BOB with adult beverages:beer: to "promote" the party atmosphere if need be.

Just an idea, I am all about pushing myself and suffering, but I am planning on spending this newbie ride enjoying the view and the company!
    Mark, I hope you are ready!!!:bang:

18. nappyt

nappyt New Member

I think with 30+ people planning on going this should be more of a social ride. I would hate to see it turn into a race for the finish. Also thats going to be a lot of people on the trail so we will need to be careful we don't make a bad impression on the other hikers and bikers if some plan of flying their STR colors.

As someone who does hike-a-bike sections of Daley, I can say that its not a good trail for your first MTB ride but if your comfortable on your bike its still a fun place to ride.

Looking forward to meeting everyone...

19. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I couldn't agree more. I think we should all stay together as one group. I also like to hammer when I can but definitley don't need to to have a good time and I have no issues riding at a slower pace. I never wanted to split off for any reason.

Just to clarify--I think the reason the 2 seperate group idea was thrown out wasn't so 1 group could hammer while the other keeps it mellow. The reason splitting up was mentioned was because 1 group may not be able to complete the ride without extended walking/pushing. Which is why I'm not sure combining the Newb ride with this one is the best idea. I have no problem riding with newbs--lord knows I'm spend my fair share of time in the back of the pack. I'm just worried that Newbs won't have fun at Daley and the original reason for the ride--SD Fire/Sladnas' new bike--will get lost in the shuffle of trying to keep everyone happy.

20. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

Isn't than an oxymoron? #-o