Single ring sans front derailleur..anyone using it?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by taprackbang, Jun 15, 2014.

1. taprackbang

taprackbang Member

I've seen numerous MB's with this setup and I think it looks great..clean and lighter I assume since you no longer need FD shifter and extra chainrings/gears. Does anyone here also run this setup and have you liked it for the longrun or did you immediately go back to the typical 3 gear set-up on the front?

I guess if you do more DH this is more common..but what about XC folks? ..maybe if the rear gears have a really big sprocket..maybe even bigger than the front single ring gear...?

..time to drink.

2. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I've been running 1x9 for awhile. I'm not a gram counter but I would guess it shaved around a pound off my bike.
    I like it, I think it forces me to work a little harder when otherwise I'd just shift into my easiest gear ratio. I did just buy a raceface n/w chainring because I drop the chain constantly with my oe chainring.

3. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Yes 1x11 is the latest rage in MtB. Solves a problem I don't have.

4. barbanegra

barbanegra New Member

1x1 is the ultimate climbing machine

5. MaliceFox

MaliceFox New Member

I.T. Pro
    I went down the middle and changed my 3x8 to a 2x10 drivetrain on my XC'ish bike, and I have been quite happy with it. Has all the range I need, and none of the extra gears I don't. I didn't go with high end parts or anything but going from my stock 3x8 to 2x10, shaved a bit over 2lbs from my rig. Finally got my bike under the 30lbs mark :D Not too shabby for a Giant Yukon FX.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^ What I run most of the time....however my 2nd bike is running 1x10.

Even my wife's Niner is running 1x9.

If you are a spinner.....easy gear/high rpm....you are gonna hate 1x9/1x10 systems. If you are a masher, then have at it. Your body is a lot stronger than you think it is.

Before you even consider getting rid of the front derailleur.....ride all your normal rides in your middle ring. If you can clean the climbs and feel comfortable, then do it. If you find that you have to walk everything.....it is not for you.

7. Ratt

Ratt Member

blue collar grunt
    Most the new bikes $6k+ are equipped with 1 x 11 speed xo1/xx1, its all the rage with the cool kids. I really like it but the first thought I had with my xo1 setup was that this is not for everyone. You lose about 2 shifts on each side of your gearing compared to a 3x9 or 2x10 setup. I do sometimes miss those clicks but lived for years on a 2x9 setup and lost maybe one click so its not so glaring to me.

I hate sram push/push, avid brakes, never dropped my seatpost that often but I like, no, I love the single clamp on my bars. It looks very clean and uncluttered.

This is good advise to start with. Then go demo some bikes

8. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Emphasis on "new" and "6k+". They're very lightweight and have the latest in suspension refinement in shocks and linkage to allow for pedal efficiency with that gearing. Heavier bikes and those optimized for 2x, or not very well optimized for pedaling at all, will feel more compromised by 1x gearing.

I also believe that if you like to keep climbs casual and rest while riding up, then it's likely not for you. You really have to go at a certain pace to climb efficiently with a 1x, and slowly is not it. I personally find it's best if I attack climbs and recruit some more assistance from my glutes and hips to power those pedal strokes. It can take a while to build up strength and endurance with those muscles, but I don't feel an urge to go back to having a granny except on really heavy bikes after going 1x. What I do miss is having a higher top-end though, running 32x11-36.

Out of 3 bikes I converted, only 1 has dropped a chain (RaceFace Narrow-Wide, VPP suspension). I used to drop chains with geared bikes and really found that irritating and hoped 1x would also solve that. Instead, with that 1 bike, it just forces me to get off and spend 30 secs or so to put the chain back on, rather than pedal it back on. Maybe I'm lucky on the other two (SRAM XX1 ring on HT and FSR).

9. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    I find a simple chainguide to be cheap insurance. Looks cool too! http://www.csixx.com/xc-chainguide.html#ad-image-0

10. b.martin

b.martin New Member

I have used 1X drivetrains for the last few years starting with 1X9 and a chainguide. I think my favorite thing about it is the decreased noise. I'm currently using a narrow wide ring, no guide and a saint derailleur running 10 speed 11-40t with a oneup cog. Shifts great, quieter than xx1 in my experience, and cheaper.

11. taprackbang

taprackbang Member

That makes sense..ok..hopefully get out this weekend and give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Also, keep in mind that some low end cranksets on entry level bike, the chainrings are held in with rivets, and not bolts. What that means is that the crankset is not serviceable. When a ring wears out, you replace the whole crankset.

If this is the case, then you will not be able to go 1x on your Trek 3900 without a new crankset.

13. bing!

bing! Active Member

The problem 1x addresses is the problem of chain drop when not using a chain guide. A narrow wide chainring coupled with a clutch type derailleur addresses chain drop just as good as any chain guide.

2x drive trains with clutch type derailleurs are still subject to chain drop, though much less. As a matter of fact, there are still very rare reports of XX1 dropping chains :(

14. riiz

riiz Member

I like 1x10 systems, have that setup on 2 bikes and use it from XC to AM/park abuse. Currently running 32t chainring and a 11-40 One-Up adapted cassette. All the range, I'll ever need.

15. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    Fixed it....

16. bing!

bing! Active Member

Yeah, that reads better. And true, the first bike was 1x.

17. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I have a 3x9 and drop a chain about 3 times per year. Those marketing guys are really smart and all, but I can replace my cassette once a month for as much as what an 11 speed goes for. I'd be pissed if I bought a $6k to $10k bike and wound up having to buy a $400+ cassette less than a year later... yikes... Can you say Overkill?

Where are all of the "it's just marketing" pessimists that were on here telling me I was stupid for buying a full suspension 29er 4-5 years ago? I still have that bike...

I'm pretty sure the only practical reason for a $400+ cassette is to divert the "revenue stream" from the bike manufacturer to bike consumer, but that is admittedly my humble opinion... But the SRAM 1x11 is appearing on a lot of bikes with SRAM brakes (a hard sell...); they must make bike manufacturers pair them to get a good price or something... Smart on SRAM's behalf, but we're on the losing end of that.

18. bing!

bing! Active Member

Duhno if its my aging 9 speed derailleur, but I'm dropping my chain every ride now. I wanna buy a shadow plus drive train, but am holding out any major bike purchases for a new bike.

19. bcusitsjeff

bcusitsjeff New Member

Ive been wanting to go to a 1x10 setup with a 11-42t and 30-32t front, but my climbing endurance sucks

20. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    1X set-up makes the cassette and your legs pretty darn efficient, you are using both as if you never used them before (at first). You loose 1lbs off the bike depending on different models and such- I personally like to train with a 34ring and Race with 32ring. If you are planning on going this route, i would do the crank only and upgrade as needed. I remember being cheap enough to purchase the composite crank and feeling the weight loss affect. However, i am a firm believer of Gearing is in the Legs, the 1x matches it.

Later on down the road, i installed 11/36, my bike at the time came with 12/36- this will affect top end speed, depending the ring dynamically.

Just a thought'

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...Installing-XX1-Single-Crank-on-XTC&highlight=

Cheers-