Simple Green vs. Muc Off

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Pup-n-taco, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Pup-n-taco

Pup-n-taco Yeah. It's MINE.

Pilot
    The LBS told me that simple green is bad for the bikes because it is kind of corrosive. I know some people use it but I wondered what the consensus was.

I also wondered if anyone has used the muc off cleaner and/or bike spray and what y'all think of that.

I've been using simple green as of late but am not married to it.

2. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Do you dilute it or just shoot from the bottle ?

The fumes from Simple Green get to me if it's mixed up strong but for household cleaning just go with 2oz or so to a quart. Really better off just using a feather duster for most local riding though:-k.

3. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

I've been using Orange Blast for a few years and it doesn't seem to be as harsh as Simple Green. For bike use I would dilute either one anyways.

4. Pup-n-taco

Pup-n-taco Yeah. It's MINE.

Pilot

Dilute? What a novel concept:-k. I wouldn't consider myself a total idiot but never once thought of diluting it. I don't spray it on the frame (where a feather duster would work fine) but just the oily, grimey stuff.

Now that I think about it, most idiots don't consider themselves idiots. Hhhmmm.

5. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

I use un-diluted Simple Green on my chain and other drivetrain parts, but it's probably overkill for the frame.

I usually clean the frame with a wet rag, dry it off, and then use automotive wax to make it all slippery n' purdy.

Frame cleaning and waxing sessions are few and far between. My bike still has flecks of red mud on it from a Utah trip almost a month ago.:)

6. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    I do the same thing and use wax. It helps with cleaning later on.

7. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Inorance is bliss...

Subtlety is such a lost art form these days, but much like concentrated cleaning products a little can go quite a long way. Unless there are clumps of mud in the drive train any water based cleaner will only invite rust. :?: All I do is de-crust the chain with a rag and piss Tri-Flow into the rollers. You don't have to eat off the cassette, jockey wheels or front rings and some dust wont change anything. Braking surfaces should only be cleaned with alcohol and the best thing for the frame is to score a pile of Free to cheap stickers and slather up scratch prone areas. In my experience time spent cleaning is is only a waste of good daylight saddle hours. There are goofy chain cleaning machines and nifty brushes but your bike will never get gingivitis if you neglect flossing.;)

8. kanga

kanga Active Member

Simple green works really well... oh, but not for the bike, for getting poison oak off exposed skin. Haven't used it on the bike. Just a brush, and water, if anything.

9. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

I just spray mine down with water then follow up with diluted Orange Blast then use a big soft wheel brush to wash the whole thing. Follow that up with a rinse, shake most of the water off then dry with a towel.

10. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Muc Off, followed by some Bike Lust. Showroom freshness.

11. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Yeah Disco. I'm with you on the chain thing. I just wipe mine off and add more White Lightning. Change out every 6 months or so.

12. minhster

minhster DNF'd

can't remember off the top of the head the exact name of the product but it's something along the lines of purple power or something like that. They sell it at autoparts store and the stuff takes off greese! I use it on my chain and gears and it works wonderful. It's somewhat cheap at $4 for a large spray bottle.

13. cid`

cid` booger flicker

warm water and dish soap?

14. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Purple Power/purple extreme...... keep it away from ano aluminum, it will etch the shit out of it. as in you will be able to see it when you rinse it off. Really not a good product to use arouns aluminum parts at all. You have to Dilute it ALOT for it to be safe around alu.

SImple green is Much Much less corrosive, now, there was a press release that was confirmed by SImple green about it etching into your chains, and causing premature failures, but that was also pertaining to letting it soak over night.

Simple green, Muc off, Bike clean, Dawn dish soap....All are great, just remember with ANY detergent you wash your bike with.......Make sure they are all rinsed clean. Most all detergents have a base PH, belive it or not, bases eat metal faster than acids. Well that of coarse how far away from Neutral it is.

When your done with your wash, use something to polish it up, helps keep it clean longer...Bike lust, McGuires mistnwipe, Eagle one Nano wax<My favorite> Gives it a great shine, easy to use, makes it easier to clean next time. Yet another trick,........ keep it off the brakes.

15. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Sure, why not? It cuts grease and is mild enough for the job.

16. cid`

cid` booger flicker

good to hear.. thats usually what i do.. warm water, dish soap in a bucket, all swished up up to be foamy, and brush everything off, then lightly rinse down.. usually gets most of the crud off the cassette/chain too..

17. DREWBUSH

DREWBUSH New Member

Simple Green came out with an aluminium cleaner a few years ago, aproved by boeing for airplanes. Got a few sample bottles at an Offroad Show last year. Works really well on cleaning up my motorcycles. Just havent tried it yet on the bike.

18. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    Dawn dishwashing liquid for suds, followed with some bike lust for that off the floor finish

19. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    I use CRYSTAL Simple Green for most of my cleaning chores, including the bike. The reason I choose this is because it's one of the few products that meet our super-strict safety and environmental standards. I would wager that your LBS doesn't know ANYTHING about chemistry, but their "bike specific" cleaner will give them a greater profit than the gallon of Simple Green you buy at the home center.

20. craig z

craig z New Member

musician and dad
    Home Page:
    You guys clean your bikes?

Hmmm. :-k