Schwalbe Tires vs. Stans Sealant?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by irv_usc, Jun 18, 2013.

1. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Curious about something...
    According to their web site, that sealant has a density of 0.036 g/mL. That's less than 4% the density of water, or 10% the density of a marshmallow. Something doesn't jive here.

2. hillharman

hillharman New Member

3. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

My Nobby Nic rear with <300 miles looks much worse than the Purgatory I'm running on the rear of my other bike that currently has >600 miles on it. The Hans Dampf I'm running up front still looks pretty new. At the rate it's going it seems I'm going to need 3-4 rear tires before replacing the front.

Been thinking about trying out orange. Still using my big bottle of stans though.

I never have considered 80psi in my tire. I'd be afraid of blowing the bead off the rim.

The tires are mounted with two scoops of stans and both the HD and NN sealed up with <40psi reading on my floor pump. I filled them to ~50psi or so and did the usual sealing up techniques shown in the stans instructional videos. Even with the wet spots and whatnot I don't think I am adding air more or less often than my other set of wheels with specialized tires.

4. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Just put some new tires on today. I had a couple "wet spots" on my old worn out Hans Dampf (see pics) so I checked them from the inside when I took them off. No thorns sticking through. No idea why these spots pop up, but I did not have any issues with losing pressure (maybe a couple psi per week but I check them before every ride). I don't remember having this when the tire was newer, maybe "old age seepage" or just beat to hell :?:
    010 comp.jpg 011 comp.jpg

5. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Don't know about the seeping Stans, but that tire looks like it has lots of life left in it. Beat-up, maybe. Worn out...?

6. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

See Pat, that's why you shouldn't ask us how many miles we get on our tires ;) For me on the front, once the sideknobs get cracked and chewed like that it comes off.

7. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    :lol:
    Serious question - Are you noticing decreased performance at that stage?

Anyhoo...Stan's and seeping. I recall that on some old tires (Forte Pisgah 26" folding) Stan's would seep (and dry out rather quickly too), but they cost half as much as the cheapest Schwalbes. They had especially thin casings and sidewalls tho.

8. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Yeah I do notice it especially in the dry hardpack and loose-over, once the side knobs crack and loose their edges the cornering gets more unpredictable and sketchy.
    BTW, that tire was my front for 8 months ~ 900 miles and I bought it used off a demo bike for $15. Pretty happy with that life and cost :beer:
    Had another new HD waiting in the wings so we'll see how that lasts on the front. I think Irv said around 3 rears per one front, sounds about right.

9. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    I had Racing Ralphs with Stans seeping out everywhere, but never lost pressure until it dried up. BTW, RR are the worst tires ever made for riding on dirt.

10. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Agreed! My Racing Ralph lasted exactly 500 feet on a sandy singletrack, hit the first semi smooth rock and the tread ripped 1/2" long between two tire tread blocks. They wouldn't even acknowledge my request for a replacement....

11. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Did it look like this Nobby Nic?
    index_001.jpg
    Mine did this all the time. I know it's from stickers.
    I just replaced it after a year. It only went flat once and that was after it burped off a jump with too low of air pressure.

12. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

Yeah pretty much, but wet spots form over time on mine. They're usually dry for a good day or so after a ride

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

13. bleicht

bleicht Member

Grrr. Cut a NN yesterday and limped the bike home -- turns out all my Stan's had dried up. I put on a brand new NN last night, put in two scoops of Stan's, and headed back out to the same trail. The first high speed rocky descent resulted in ~1/8+" cut in the trade area. Stan's sprayed out all over my leg, my bike, and then all over the trail... it just wouldn't seal. I pumped it up, rotated the cut towards the bottom to allow the sealant to do its magic and waited and waited. Eventually, I just put a tube in which I wasn't super stoked about. It's possible I didn't dispense the Stan properly enough to get the particles into the scoop but I tried.

I think the bottom line is that NN are a lightweight tire and just not suitable for the type of riding I do (not that aggressive, really.) It's disappointing because I was happy to get away from the weight of the Maxxis HR II but it looks like I'm going back or trying something new. I've been through two sets of High Rollers with no flats at all.

I'd be happy to hear any recommendations.

14. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Snakeskin or regular sidewall? The regular sidewall is thin, I have yet to have an issue with snakeskin sidewalls.

Also so I have never has Stan's seal a sidewall cut.

15. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Bummber... I run NN Snakeskin 29x2.25 and ride plenty of rocks (sharp ones too), but it is up to the rider, line, weight, style... and of course luck.

Sidewall cuts... are just flat out blow!

16. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    Snakeskin does not weep Stans, Regular sidewalls do. I had RR and NN in the non-snakeskin version on the rear of my bike and both would look wet on the sidewall from Stans weeping. HD up front with Snakeskin only shows Stans when it should...puncture from a thorn.

17. ZJChaser

ZJChaser New Member

Owner of IT Company, Driving Coach
    Same boat. Sliced a NN after a couple months. Switched to a SuperGravity Rock Razor in the rear so "I wouldnt have to worry" ....one month on that and 3/4" slice in the sidewall from a large(brick sized) rock that kicked into my rear wheel. Thankfully the LB rim survived the hit. At this rate I feel like I need to set aside $75/month tire budget.

18. bleicht

bleicht Member

These are definitely SnakeSkin and the cut (puncture?) was in the tread surface both times. I'm ~170 plus Camelback and am riding Santa Monica trails on a Mojo. WTH. Maybe that "Double Defense" is something to try but I'm loathe to throw out more money. Anyone try DD?

I realize this is probably just luck of the draw, but I feel like I've abused the heck out of Maxxis HR and Nevegals all throughout CA and NV w/o every a cut.

19. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I don't think it's the weight or the bike but the riding style. I have a feeling it's the way your riding through the rocks. I have the regular sidewall(came on the bike) the rear of my trance and it took 6 months to kill one. I knew my tire pressure was a lil low but kept riding and killed it on one of the little drops on Barnam but that was due too low of air pressure and landing on rock. It had survived Sedona and other regular riding including off part trails in BB. I have had the snakeskin Hans Damph on my Honzo for close to two years and no issues again including Sedona.