Santiago Oaks/Weir Canyon/Peter's Canyon Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Winger, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winger

Winger Member

Santiago Oaks- Web site said it was closed, but I called the ranger and she said it was OK to ride as long as we don't cross the creeks. This means starting by the School off Serrano. Don't start at Irvine Park, or at the main entrance to Santiago Oaks.

I rode down old Chutes and up new Chutes and the trails were perfect....no mud.

2. Lone ranger

Lone ranger Guest

Just checked the oaks . Is open with restrictions.Can't crross santiago creek , so you have to go start at the park enterance

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

The park entrance crosses the creek. according to this post, you cannot access the park from the main entrance.

4. Lone ranger

Lone ranger Guest

Sorry Gene I guess I should have read the wlole alert.

5. genusmtbkr5

No worries ; )

Here is what the alert states for those interested:

[​IMG] Special Alert! Santiago Oaks Park: Park Open With Restrictions

Access to Santiago Oaks Regional Park will be permitted with the following restrictions.

- All trails crossing Santiago Creek are closed due to water hazards.

- The parking lot located at 2145 N. Windes Dr. will remain closed. Santiago Creek is blocking access from this entrance.

- Chutes Trail is closed at Irvine Park (Roadrunner Loop Trail). Santiago Creek crossing at Irvine Park is closed due to water hazards.

- Historic Dam Trail will remain closed indefinitely due to erosion and storm damage.

The only access is from entrances that are located in the neighboring communities along the east and northern points.

6. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

I just returned from a ride from the Anaheim hills side of wier canyon regional up to the upper end of Santiago oaks and back through deer canyon. Trails in great shape...go get some!

7. genusmtbkr5

No updates on their page of OC parks. No answer or recorded message. Call them tomorrow.

Peters Canyon Regional Park
    8548 E. Canyon View Ave.
    Orange, CA 92869
    (714)973-6611

8. me8

me8 New Member

Home Page:
    I am pretty sure it is partially open. The main trail is closed between the porta potties and big red.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Scout is the short singletrack that goes from the lower canyon to the ridge about half way down the canyon.

10. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I like Scout and work it into my usual training loops there, but I'm glad they're keeping it closed. I'm not sure if it was damaged, but it gets no sun at all and has heavy soil that takes forever to dry.

11. Rollnstone

Rollnstone ...

^ Scout is one of the few, true single tracks in Peter's. You can climb it to get back up to the upper ridge and then descend Eucalyptus or head back towards Big Red. You can use it to cut out part of the fire road.

I believe they closed this trail when they were doing the tree removal. They have not opened it since, and there are large parts of the trail that may be wiped-out because of the wide paths cut up the hill to get equipment in.

12. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    Does anyone know if it's presently possible to enter Santiago Oaks from Irvine Regional Park (ie the Albertsons on Chapman/Jamboree)? Or is there still too much water flowing in Santiago Creek?

13. genusmtbkr5

Checked the Santiago Link I added on the 1st post and this is what it states:

[​IMG] Special Alert!Santiago Oaks Park: Trail Closures

Storm water runoff is scheduled to be released from Villa Park Dam beginning Monday the 24th through Tuesday the 25th. Access from the parking lot and all trails crossing Santiago Creek will be closed. This includes Santiago Creek Trail (from the parking lot and Irvine Park), Pony Trail and Historic Dam Trail. Park customers will need to use entrances from the neighboring communities.

From what I hear, it's still very wet and muddy going through there. Only access is through the neighborhoods.

Please check the status pages of each of the parks you want info for as they have been updated due to the trail closures. I have all the links posted on the OP.

14. mikedobyns

mikedobyns New Member

Current Santiago Oaks/Weir/Peter's Canyon Trail Conditions(Last update: 03-30-11)

Rode Oaks 3 times this week already, kind of muddy Monday but it has been getting better. Once you go up Goat or the 3 B's the mud goes away, the snakes are out in full force though so be aware!

15. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Does anyone know if the water crossing between the horse stables and Oaks is low enough to cross? Thanks.

16. 0 mph

0 mph More waves than time~

Account Manager
    Home Page:
    Great reports guys! I have been planned on riding Santiago Oaks end of this month.

17. gigerrider

gigerrider New Member

Mechanic/full time student
    Oak trail under construction

I didn't see this already in this section so I will add it. I went for a ride after class up chutes down cactus up bumblebee and then
    [​IMG]
    I was planing on riding oak today but no dice. I ended up pressing on to peralta i think it was called that is a really fast fun trail cant wait to do it again now that i know what to expect. then up mountain goat down bumblebee up cactus and down chutes making my way back to the front of the park. Those santa ana winds blew away a lot of the dust and sand on the trails some parts were nice and blue groovy.

The trail is supped to be closed for 2 weeks from last monday. Just a fyi in case anyone didn't know

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Yup......looks as though they are re-routing the 1st & 2nd "B".

19. ReinX0

ReinX0 Member

Realtor / Business Owner
    at first I thought you meant Oaks was under construction. then I see you meant the trail "Oak" is closed. Thanks for the update.

20. D man

D man Ride til u smile

I road up the newly rerouted Oak trail (first B) today. The steep torture of a climb is gone, it now has switch backs all the way up. The down side is I will not get to accomplish the 3 B's climb as the first one was the hard one. You can go up Oak and cut over to Bumble Bee to get through as they are still working on the top section of the trail. fyi: it is a little soft but rideable and it appears to be a little wider for vehicle access.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.