San Gabes: Trail Conditions(updated 01-01-15)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Pain Freak, Dec 24, 2010.

1. hobie

hobie Member

someone said something about a fire

2. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    You could always call the ranger station and ask them.

3. hobie

hobie Member

man cuz we know way more than rangers lol

4. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    I would ask Kanga he works on the trails with Corba

5. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

The Station Fire didn't effect the Sturtevant Trail.

6. Piranha

Piranha Member

It is open, however the Rim Trail to Newcombs Pass and then the Gabrielino to Chantry Flats is the better option in my opinion.

7. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I agree with Piranha. Sturdevant is shorter. The Rim trail option is harder but you get 5-6 miles of singletrack payoff. Both trails may be under snow after this storm we're having so neither may be rideable right now....

8. hobie

hobie Member

sounds fun, i don't know that way though. :)

9. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

Doesn't look like they got snow on the front range but the north side-maybe.
    There is no easy way up there-besides a 90 min plus shuttle. Either go up the Mt Wilson Toll Rd or the climb/hike-a-bike from Chantry. Either way the payoff is worth it. Just did it about a month ago.
    The Rim trail is exposed, rocky, loose, and remote.
    The Gabrielino from Newcombs down to Chantry is so good....smooth, fast, flowy, interrupted by rocky sections and steep switchbacks.

10. Piranha

Piranha Member

It is signed pretty well.

11. Nicolai

Nicolai New Member

January 3rd: all three Merrills rideable, with only an inch of packed snow turned to ice here and there on Upper and the first shady section of Middle.

12. davidB

davidB Active Member

I know there's been recent work on Sunset and EP, so how are those looking as of late? might head up there this weekend for a loop if it isn't too bad and somewhat back to normal on sunset

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Sunset is fine. From JPL try riding up Brown Mountain Fireroad to the saddle and back. Brown is not a fireroad right now has some fun stuff on it....then hit EP.

14. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    Has anyone been up to Chilao to do the three peaks lately? I think I'll head up tomorrow morning and am wondering if the Vetter singletrack is rideable.

15. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    I rode the Chilao area yesterday and it's looking pretty good. The fireroad that goes over Mooney is clear of deadfall but is loose dirt/rocks on the north side but that's pretty normal. The steep climb up the north side of Hillyer is a bit loose and rutted but probably rideable by some. The Hillyer descent was great, the recent rain cleaned it up a bit but it's loose in places and ruts are starting to appear.

We all need to be mindful of skidding through corners and down the steep stuff, it's going to destroy this amazing descent by the end of the summer. Obviously this applies to all trails but it's very tempting to skid on the tech drops here. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but spread the word so we can keep this descent one of the best in the Gabes.

Silver Moccasin from Horse Flats to Chilao is in amazing condition, I don't remember it being as fun last fall. A little technical, some cambered turns and just enough chunk to make it fun. South of Chilao there are quite a few downed trees, one of them pretty big and I imagine it will be there for a while, I'll add a pic of it. There were probably four or five trees I had to stop for and either climb over or squeeze under which sucked because it breaks up the fast descent south of the campground.

The good news is the Poodle Dog Bush looks like it might be dying out. I didn't see many new plants sprouting up and there's lots of other different species coming up in the burn areas that will hopefully choke out the existing plant, the Manzanita is coming in especially strong in some areas.

I assumed the Vetter singletrack is still closed and didn't want to waste my time climbing the road so I don't know what the status of the trail is. Last time I was up there the Poodle Dog basically covered the trail making it impassable.

SilverMocBlock.JPG

16. cranky

cranky Member

Almost forgot to add some notes from my recent rides in the High Country. I spent the memorial weekend camping in Horse Flats. Mt Hillyer is in great shape albeit a lot sandier than it was this time last year - I guess the lack of rain has made it like late-Summer conditions already.

I rode Silver Moc from 3 Points down to Chilao - the section from 3 Points is in pretty poor shape with countless downed trees just like the one pictured above. About halfway to Horse Flats, the trail looks like its been recently worked on with fresh cuts in the dirt.

17. Nicolai

Nicolai New Member

Gabes, December 2014

If there are readers here outside of OC, this might be of interest. Rode some trails in the Gabes in the last 2 weeks, and found excellent tacky conditions, with only occasional rain damage. Overall it seemed like roads took a harder beating than any trail we were on.

Monroe truck trail: long stretches of mild trenching. Wash portion really good.

Climb from Cogswell dam to Rincon road: severe wash-outs in many places. But it's a road, so no problems.

Merrills: lower a little threadbare. Essentially a climbing only trail, and as such maybe slightly harder than I remember.

The Mt Lowe proper climb and descent: perfect. Some hiker organization was clearing brush when we rolled through. Much appreciated, although the 3 or so workers were not very friendly at all.

Road climb between Merrill and Eaton Saddle: several big wash-outs.

Sunset: def trenched out a bit, with loose rocks and erosion. Harder but nothing dramatic, thou.

El Prieto: no problems

Idlehour: only that one old downed tree. Everything in very, very good condition. Signs of recent trail work.

Wilson Toll Road: some big wash-outs and rock slides in the exposed section near the top above the drop in to the Wilson trail. Smooth as a baby butt below Idlehour.

Chantry parking to Newcomb Saddle: some minimal trenching near the top. Chantry as a whole gets a top notch rating.

Upper Winter Creek: beautiful shape.

Gabrielino north side descent from Newcomb to camp Devore: besides the air of abandonment, this obscure trail is mostly rideable. 2 downed trees and 30' of missing side hilling is all. So good.

Gabrielino from camp Devore to West Fork campground: epic hike-a-bike. Fun actually, if you're into such. Only a little more than one mile.

Marshall Canyon to Potato mtn: fine.

2N24 between Azusa Canyon and Red Box (aka Rincon Red Box): blocked to vehicles in at least 2 places. Bikes ok.

[​IMG]
    image by kullaberg631, on Flickr

18. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Thanks "Flying Crane Man"....or do you go by... "Dances with Bikes"...

19. freewheeler

freewheeler Looking for new trails

Thanks for the update. I'm itching to ride mt. wilson toll road to Rim trail and back to Chantry. Anybody have updated trail conditions on Rim Trail?