Ryan stomps a huge new drop in Whistler

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by McG715, Sep 4, 2014.

1. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    We managed to find time to get back to Whistler again this summer for a quick trip over Labor Day weekend.. it was a very nice change from the dry conditions and very high heat we experienced being up there in July during the heatwave they had.. this time it was 60s, and wet.. almost too wet as some trails with considerable rock and wood features were like ice.. so slippery it was insane.. the trails that were predominately dirt were insane though.. wet tacky dirt in Whistler can't be beat. Anyway too many videos and pics to bore people with so I will refrain, but I had to post this one clip. They built out a new exit drop on Clown Shoes that is billed as the biggest official drop in the bike park.. there are bigger drops but they aren't legit trails. This drop is supposed to be roughly 15 feet from edge to landing, and standing on top it looks way bigger due to the steep landing.. well my little guy decided he felt he could launch it.. so he launched it and he stomped it, and made it look crazy easy.. he then hit it like 4-5 more times to make sure he had it dialed.. here's a clip of his first attempt.. you can tell by the audio he's pretty excited..

[video=youtube;07ZBpDyCsHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07ZBpDyCsHc&list=UUwHL1mpwRvI8zd2VOSw96ig[/video]

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Nice! Confidence is everything at that level! :clap:

Judging by the tire tracks on the wood, it looks like a less courageous rider could roll it?

PS - I hate you and your Whistler-for-the-weekend lifestyle! :wave:

3. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Chris I knew you would hate to see the post :)

Yes it is rollable if you choose not to pedal into it. Apparently when they built the drop and opened it up, for a very brief period it had no roll in option and they decided to close it and make it more accessible and less dangerous (we'll call it family friendly).. it's gnarly just looking at it for the roll in.. it's pretty steep, the dirt is steep, and then the runout is loose and then drops you into the bottom loose section of Detroit Rock City. I think it's the right way to do it. We talk a lot about Whistler building with different hit options, and they demonstrated that here with this one..

And your confidence remark is so true.. it's all about knowing what you can do and trusting yourself.. he hit that thing over and over, but as much as he loves to jump and has confidence doing it, he couldn't get himself to lay off the brakes going into hit #3 on Crabapple Hits.. next year!

4. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Love that "YAY" response and the two kids "how old are you?" (priceless) - even made me feel great inside for his excitement.

There's really no stopping him ...

5. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Thanks Rox.. yes he was stoked. Those two kids are a couple of 14 yr old locals he had met earlier on Crabapple Hits doing the jump line. The one who gave him the fist bump hit it just before him and that got him pumped.. he looked at it a few times and stared it down before making the first attempt.. otherwise this short clip might have been 5 mins long of him just standing there staring at it!! But after hitting it the first time he would just cruise right through from the trail and not even stop first..

6. OC rider

OC rider i need a motor

filmmaker, cameraman
  7. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    That's awesome!
    How does one get to become part of this let's take a weekend trip to Whistler family?

8. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

Nice! Good thing he didn't do it like this:[video=youtube;Q7PQ1_nzqcc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7PQ1_nzqcc[/video]

9. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    You wanna hear something hilarious.. we know those guys. Actually we were in Whistler a few years ago when that crash happened.. we were at the hot tub at our hotel and met this dude and his friend from OC.. spent time chatting about trails and he showed us his bruises from the old Clown Shoes drop where he crashed.. cool guys, such a small world. I remember getting home from our trip that summer, posting videos and seeing his videos, including this one from the crash.. we actually ran into them again later that year in Santiago Oaks, but then haven't seen them since.. classic