Ride Report RR: Strawberry Peak loop 7/29

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by perfektus, Jul 29, 2014.

1. perfektus

perfektus Rock and BRRAAAAPPPP!!!

Musician, Composer, Guitar Instructor
    So my buddy talked me into checking out Strawberry Peak Loop this morning. Met at Switzers at 8am and we rolled out.

The fireroad climb wasn't too bad, made it up to split (3miles up) in a little under an hour. Great view up there!

[​IMG]

We took off from the split and descended into the valley floor, kinda fun, nothing particularly difficult in with the trail. I started the climb with a sleeveless undershirt to combat the heat while climbing and brought a long sleeve jersey in my pack since I've read previous reports of overgrown poodle dog and other fun vegetation on the trail. Midway through the descent I should've worn the longsleeve at the split coz every plant along the way swatted, scratched and whacked my bare arms! #-oI'm not sure if I'm allergic to poodle dog but I guess I'll find out for sure in a few days 8-[
    The middle traverse was fun, kudos to those who worked on that section putting the wood barriers to keep the trail from eroding. :clap: The trail needs more packing in but it's not terribly loose.

We got down to to the valley floor, some really sandy spots. Happy to report that my 650b wheels allowed my bike to motor through all that sand, it's a weird feeling to drift while pedaling :lol:

Finally we got to the hike-a-bike ascent, which is probly what ruined the ride for me. Loose sandy and steep sections. I rode maybe 50% of this part of the trail, but it's no fun to get off the bike and push after pedaling uphill. There's a big downed tree in the middle of the trail at around a 7mile mark. My buddy and I regrouped around at the 8mile mark, just before the descent into RedBox trailhead.

[​IMG]

Got down to RedBox and decided I don't have the legs to deal with the up-down section of Redbox after the waterfall so we rode the upper part and bailed into the road right before the waterfall, took the road back to our cars.

I'm glad I checked it out but I don't think I'll be riding there again anytime soon.

Here's the Strava map of the ride.

http://www.strava.com/activities/172697495

Cheers!

2. LowLow

LowLow New Member

Both times I rode this trail I said the same thing to myself (i.e., I won't do that again), but some folks really love it so after enough time passes, I start thinking I should do it again.

3. perfektus

perfektus Rock and BRRAAAAPPPP!!!

Musician, Composer, Guitar Instructor
    Hahaha I did say "not anytime soon", I didn't say "never riding there again" ;)

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I also gave up riding it until fall when cooler temps and rainfall will improve the route. It is a great route just there is better things to ride up there until trail conditions improve.

Dean

5. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    Yeah, this past Saturday I was thinking I should ride Strawberry sometime, as I drove right past it on my way to Chilao :bang: