Race Report RR: OTH round 3

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by obie, Jun 5, 2012.

1. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Conga lines from one side to the other.

Climbers with no advantage tonite - too many people walking.

DNF/Mechanical. Eh.

2. gigerrider

gigerrider New Member

Mechanic/full time student
    OTH round 3

I made my goal of in the top 5. I got fourth this week. The course was much shorter and there were a few HAB sections, well at least for my rig. I tested out a Intense Hard Eddy, and Damn! that is one hell of a bike I did no hiking on that thing I really need to get into a better bike time to take out a loan:lol:. I did the entire race in the 44t chainring as my small ring was throwing the chain in the warm up on the heavy load sections. I am really considering racing one of my SS bikes next week. Once again a ton of fun I can't wait until next week for now protien shake and Tuna sandwich and more training:bang:

3. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

Any one hear that tire blow out ten minutes before line up!?!? that was me! bummmer #-o...I just wanna give a big thanks to DINO from Fullerton bikes, and I believe a member of this site, he sprinted over to me and offered to give me a tube and even helped change it, we run over to his truck, put on the new tube, he started pumping and saying everything is good no worries just relax trying to easy any stress that I had, and BAM another gun shot like blow out, but this time it took the rear tire with it, completely blew out the side wall! That was the end of my race, I DNFed before the race even started! Luckily the people at OTH are awesome and just transferred my funds for next week! Best part was when i was watching the start of the race i looked back at where Dino and I just lost the battle with my tire, lone and behold we did all this under the STR tent! talk about a weird experience!!!!!! I learned that nobody has 26 inch tires at a race, and really just want to thank the community of people that helped me out, not even knowing who I am or even that I am a fellow member of this site! Ill have to give it another shot next week!

4. driffter33

driffter33 Member

.Super happy with 13th again this week, and another pint glass! A big thanks to Dino, Brownie, and ther rest of the FB/BP bikes crew for the shout outs along the way! Another great night at OTH. Congrats to all that finished, better luck next week for thoughs that didn't.

5. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
    I did my first race today. No warm up..BAD diet..didn't even know the course. Brownie talked me into doing it so there i was. ALl i can say is it was SUPER FUN..i didn't break any records..but it will make me improve as i go. Pics will be up tonight. Thankyou Fullerton Bikes for the support along with Dino, TOny, Bryan, Brownie, and Mike for the Encouraging words to help me keep pedaling. Believe it or not..those cheers gave me so much more inspiration and any energy drink. More on this later.

6. dburdett

dburdett Member

www.dbMediaGroup.net
    Home Page:
    Sitting on the couch with ice on my knee. Obliterated a chain on the first steeper climb coming off the flat on the backside of of the first lap, and creamed my knee against the stem. Coasted back down to the starting line, dropped the bike and went to the truck for parts. Put the chain back on, but had already lost about a lap. DFL.

7. Joalst1

Joalst1 Member

machinist
    Were you the racer on the SS?

8. heith

heith Member

management
    I have to say, as a single speeder going out with the super sport guys has been fun and the trick was always to use them to gap out the competition and let them pull you down the straights. But now that they send us out alone the racing and competition is much tighter. This was one of the funnest races yet.
    So i'll be the first to say I was wrong and OTH and others are right. That was fun, battling with all the single speeders and needing to use true tactics rather than trickery has made this series even tighter..Good job OTH you guys never stop improving in my book.

9. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Didnt' get to pre-ride the course, but already knew that it was going in reverse so had an idea of what to expect.....mostly. Started off with major dust in the eyes headiing into the woods. A singletrack through the woods is not a good idea as it got bogged down very fast with very little room to pass. 3 riders went down in the woods right off the bat. Had enough room to go around them. The short sandy climbs made it tough for some of the beginners and tougher for the ones stuck behind them. Decided to take it easy since I was stuck. When it opened up I made my move, but a good amount of riders in front have already extended a big gap as they got through the woods first. The second singletrack at the end of the lake was also tough to make any passes. Pretty much have to wait it out until it opens up. The HAB on the steep sandy section sucked. The steep climb after that was fun, but can be challenging to get around the hikers. Second lap was a bit better as there was more space. Some dude in a Troupe kit had a pretty good pace, so I stayed behind him the entire 2nd lap. A couple of other B3's were right in the mix with us......waiting for that final stretch. Final stretch came and another B3 passed me as I'm still keeping pace with the Troupe guy. There wasn't much time left, so I hunkered down and followed. Troupe dude blew his gasket and bonked the last 100 yards or so. I'm pushing 192 bpm's to the finish line trying to catch the other rider. Pulled him in at the finish and tied. Moved up 3 spots to 23rd out of 80'ish riders. Not what I wanted, but made top 30% so I'm happy with it. Saw Dino, but didn't get no cowbell love....probably cuz I wasn't sporting a FB kit. Saw Brownie and got some love - you rock! Not happy with the route, but still hella fun!

10. smichaels

smichaels New Member

Build Supervisor
    This was my third mountain bike race ever, and all three are OTH, and on a single speed. SS class was about 2 1/2 times larger than the first two races, and had a blast. Learning with every race, and thanks to all the sponsors, oth crew, volunteers, and all other racers. Need to add "hike a bike" to my training.

11. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

Lol, Bryan and I didn't think you were going to go back out

12. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    My kids raced today, talked some with Grego and Blindman22.

Conner manned the bell
    0605121727.jpg

Jake went hard but had some trouble and ended up 15th, but his little sister Ryan won the girls division and would have been 7th if the boys and girls were combined!
    0605121733.jpg
    0605121839.jpg

13. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    went out there to spectate and take some pics. had lots of fun today. Blake and Dino are crack ups! Here are some pics to hold you guys over for a bit. I'll look thru the rest later.

me day dreaming about being on the moon
    [​IMG]

because a camera was pointed at him
    [​IMG]

feeling the pain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Had a great race. Finished 16th out of 80+ in B3. But I felt lonely today without my #1 riding partner being there. Thanks to my STR buddies for keeping my spirits up and the FB cheering crew was awesome.

15. Jack

Jack Member

Single speeding is super fun. Always encouraging when other riders notice us ss riders and give shout outs. Normally I leave immediately after the race [twin infants back home];but tonite lingered afterwards and was nice to meet some new folks. But have to say tonite's course was too flat for my 32:18 daily rider. I rode hard hamster wheeling for 3 laps and still had a blast. I'm pretty sure the 1935 Schwinn ss beat me too. Does OTH give out Lanterne Rouge?

16. coolbreeze

Hill Climber
    NICE photos!!!! Even better than the guys that charge you $30 bucks!

17. coolbreeze

Hill Climber
    I'm gonna have to try to keep you in sight next time!

18. SamKT

SamKT Member

Computer Geek
    Next time find me if you can. I have spare 26 and 29 tires in my truck all the time.

19. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    Good times tonight. I cant say I am a big fan of the new layout, but it was still fun. Well, not when I was racing. I spent the first 2.5 laps cursing it. The last .5 didn't seem too bad (probably because I was almost done). BUT when I was done I found myself thinking about what a good time I had. :lol:

It certainly was something different. You have to give it up to the OTH crew for stepping up and changing things around a bit every week to keep it fresh.

20. Flying Maverick

Flying Maverick New Member

My first MTB race ever was the 2nd to last OTH race last year where I got 41 out of 64 riders in the Beginner class. It was soo much fun and such a great race for beginners to get into racing that I got hooked and have been racing alot since then. I was super stoked to get a pint glass tonight in Sport 3. I can't believe how much I have improved...Thanks OTH for providing a place to encourage new racers.