Ride Report RR: Mt Wilson Toll Road - Aug 16 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Andy, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Andy

Andy Member

I'm aware there are plenty of other Mt. Wilson toll road ride reports, so if you're bored of them... (or are a local)

So I mentioned I was going to be in the area...

Arrived just after 7am, surprised by how many cars (weren't) there - easily parked at the intersection of Pinecrest Dr and Bowring Dr, plenty close enough to the trailhead. According to the car it was 68F outside while weather.com said it was 70F. Nice.

At the trail head by 7:15 after a breakfast of a cinnamon & raisin bagel and a chewy peanut bar. I can't eat before 9am, preferably 10am, so this might present a challenge.

Heading down from the trailhead over the bridge before the climb, I ran into (metaphorically) at least 25 trail runners... seeing the start of the climb, I decided to hang back, after all, they'd probably be passing me a minute or so later. I was soon left in their dust as I began the climb to Henninger Flats... Congratulating myself on my good decision, I was soon huffing and puffing my way up the side of Mt Wilson. Not many people out - mostly running types, some of whom were on their way down. Just a few other hikers/walkers. About 2/3rds of the way to Henninger Flats, I caught up with the only other rider I'd seen at that point, a local(ish) guy, Tom, and on the way to the Flats we talked about a wide range of subjects from mountain biking to the I.R.A.

Tom was only going as far as the Flats campground, "The worst is over" he says...

I have to say, I think he was telling porkies... I was expecting at least some leveling out. It doesn't. Its just one long continuous climb. Constantly. Never ending. Grinding all the way to the freakin' top

If I'd been smart/thought about it, I would've filled my camelbak at the campground... Still it wasn't "hot", it was actually very nice (temperature wise), and once you get about Henninger Flats, the next 1/3 (ish) of the journey has some nice cover. By this time, I'm seeing hardly anyone, literally a handful on this part of the ride.

It was a bit weird, as I keep feeling a little deja-vu-y, parts of it look suspiciously like Maple Springs. Either that or I was hallucinating from lack of sustenance and the altitude. Possibly the former.

Eventually, the cover begins to thin out, and it started to get warm. I carry on, but stopping to rest, I mean take pictures, more frequently. I'm almost out of water, and, more importantly, one of my little toes is hurting (awww...) I sliced it open yesterday in the garage and ripped a load of skin off, and despite covering it well, the bandaid has worked itself loose and my toe is now getting irritating/irritated.

I didn't make it completely to the top - but that was never my goal anyway. This was supposed to be a weekend "fun" ride. If you like long sustained climbs (which I don't), then yeah it was fun. Actually, it was. I had a good time. Usually on a ride like this, I spend most of my time worrying about the parking/car (and I did [a little]), and then swearing I'll never do another ride like this again. But when I get back to the car, I find myself thinking that next time, I'll make it exactly to the top. If there is a next time...

A few pics -

In the distance Downtown LA

downtownLA.jpg

Another view

2014-08-16 10.11.18.jpg

obligatory bike pic...

2014-08-16 11.05.29.jpg

I think I counted 2 "large" rocks/boulders, both at the side(s) of the trail, so it looks like whatever has been cleared in the intervening time...

...did see this though

slide.jpg

at about 5.5 - 6 miles up (this is looking back down), thats the worst I saw, and easily passed, or as you can see, ridden over...

2. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Stats?... Can't help it :)

Nice ride report... I like climbing as well... Sounds like a nice fall ride

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    As I remember it is like 4500 feet of climbing in 9 miles. So like climbing Maple Springs to the top in 3 less miles. It is a beast of a climb. But the singletracks off the top are along the best in our area.

4. velorider562

velorider562 New Member

Was thinking about you when I was riding with my 10 year old son at brown mtn, just a few miles west, this morning. The trails actually connect if you have the legs. I was telling him about your post on STR. He rode up to Henninger a few weeks ago. We were talking about how hard it is to appreciate how relentless Wilson toll road is. No mater how you're told until you ride up it is hard to appreciate.

Glad you enjoyed the ride!

How far up did you make it?

5. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    I don't know about that, I think they recommend purifying the water at Henninger. I've started packing a Sawyer Mini when doing long Gabes rides.

Good job finishing that climb, it's probably been at least a decade since I've done it. Just long enough to forget how brutal it is and to maybe do it again this fall :-k

6. BCrummett

BCrummett Poison Ivy Magnet

Home Page:
    You definitely have to purify the water at Henninger, but if you make it to the top of Wilson, there are 2 clean water sources for a refill (one at the Cosmic Cafe, and another further back by a small building on the way to where Sturtevant drops in. I usually blow through at least 3 liters of water on that climb, so its nice to know where the refill spots are. It's a brutal ride, but definitely a must do.

7. fueledbyex8

fueledbyex8 Member

machine operator
    Great job Andy" wish i could have joined you, maybe next time. Nice pic of your bike in front of the henninger flat sign :bang:

8. Andy

Andy Member

Did you get your shock sorted yet? I’ll send you a text later today about next weekend…?

I was almost through 3 liters, I’m glad now I didn’t fill at Henninger…
    I saw there was something like a water fountain near the museum and old tower lookout… but didn’t notice any signs, but then again, I didn’t check closely. Useful to know about the 2 clean sources at the top

Somewhere just about at these masts -

masts.jpg

Wishing now, I'd gone a bit further, but my toe was getting uncomfortable and it was getting warmer up there... (By the time I got back to the flats it was already 87 there)

9. cranky

cranky Member

Great job - I can never get motivated to ride early but I really want to check this ride off the bucket list. Maybe I'll give it a go in the Winter