RR: "12 Hours Of Temecula" Final Update/Merged Threads

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by ranoaclan, Nov 11, 2008.

1. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Those sandbaggers must really be good to move right up to expert, maybe we should see if we can train with them before the next big race:?:?
    David, you know you want to!

2. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    The Tri-tip sandwhiches and beer tastes much better after 40, 50+ miles on the bike than 14! I'm dying to find out what they taste like after 80+ miles.

3. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Duuuude, I was punk'd by Jujitsu Man!!!! I swear!!! Somebody must have edited the pic before they posted it. Damn photoshoooopers. Here's the original. I swear!!

[​IMG]

That dint hurt, btw. Made for a good shot though. Damned sketchy stuff.

4. jonathan_sykes81

jonathan_sykes81 GET FORMULA

Military
    Which results? From previous races? I was just wondering since I didn't see the newest ones up yet.

5. davidB

davidB Active Member

yup, the only 2 posted. I can only imagine people spit out even more laps last weekend.

6. goldrunner

goldrunner New Member

Construction offsite Superintendant
    12 Hour Pix?

Does anyone know where to find the pictures from this weekends race? Vail/Temecula?

:?:

7. jonathan_sykes81

jonathan_sykes81 GET FORMULA

Military
    According to Jason, they will be posted very soon, the photogs are working on it right now.

8. Au575

Au575 New Member

I'll provide my RR, FWIW - it comes from the perspective of someone (a) who hadn't raced in 15 years and (b) up until the week before the race expected to do the event on a 4-person team - not solo, which is how I rolled.

The Vibe - very laid back; Jason and crew provide a "Mom & Pop" feel to the event, and yet it ran smoothly. (Thanks!)

The Course - here's a piece of obvious advice - PRE-RIDE. I didn't, so I didn't know how to pace myself up the dam(n) climb. And there are some techy sections up on top, in the form of rocks, in some areas loose switchbacks and some powdery chutes. Luckily I got good advice from folks here on what tires to run. But really, after the dam climb is over, the course is a ton of fun: I really wanted to go a do another lap just to ride the last 3-4 miles all over again. Only a couple of Death and Destruction spots - amply documented by the photographers.

The Competitors - Super encouraging for slow / in-pain folks like me, and very, very impressively fast in many cases. Really humbling to get passed by folks at speed (like Mr. Wiens), knowing that they're out there for over one hundred miles!!! Many folks were out to test their physical limits and have a good time doing it - and it really showed, we slogged up the climbs together, egging one another on. None of the BS and attitude I still recall from my last race so very long ago.

The Administration - Seemed good to me (see Vibe, above). Nice support from vendors (got a good deal on some NR lights so I can rock the night laps in January, and got my wife talking to the Trek/GF reps about the women-specific designs!).

My own personal hell (more unsolicited advice for first-timers) - Let's just say you should train. At least ride - a lot - before doing this thing solo. I'm reasonably fit, riding 20-25 milers on the weekends at a good tempo, and get in a ride or spin class during the mid-week. That's not enough. Nowhere near enough. I planned on getting at least 4 laps in, figuring that I could do that many easily before dark (no lights...). Nope. First lap - ok. Second lap - back seized up and 1 crash. Third lap - debilitating leg cramps and 2 crashes. There was no fourth lap. Bummer. Humbling. I'm chomping at the bit for January.

And that says it all - I'm registering tonight for the next dam(n) race.

9. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    au575 - were you pitted next to our team (troupe)?
    regardless, good to hear you'll be back for more!

10. Au575

Au575 New Member

Could have been - we camped out below a nice little tree by ourselves - this is the view from my wife's lawnchair during the race. We had the singlespeed on a bike stand as a back-up (HA!) for the day.

Attached Files:

11. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

12. protijy

protijy Bean Town Bonehead

Mech Engineer
    Home Page:
    Think I have a new goal beginner solo next November.

I did 3 decent laps ~1hr avg.... But I was pretty toasted after 3.

Gonna have to do much longer rides instead of consetrating on hammer out 1-1:30 efforts.

Should be fun:)

13. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    maybe this has been there for a while, but i just noticed that the 2009 will have a women's only 4 person team category!
    very cool!

14. atomrat

atomrat New Member

I had a great time racing on a 4 person team. The same team except for the June race when I could not race and had someone fill in for me. We pitted up in the campground on the right side as you make the left turn back down to the pool area.

sdyeti, if I knew you were pitted so close, I would have said hi.

I tried to meet other people from STR. I stopped by the STR pit for a bit. I talked with Donny. Watched in amazement as Niel came in from a lap.

My first lap was nothing but hell for me. I basically hurt the whole lap. My lap time was 1:18. My second lap was awesome. I can't say that I flew around the course, but I managed to knock 8 minutes off my lap, and finished in the dark. I did make a mistake coming up ambulance road, I was in the big chainring and started to get leg cramps. I took the last lap from a team mate with only an hour of rest period. The lap went pretty good, leg cramps much sooner. I had to walk up most of the climbs, esp. chalk hill. Lap time was 1:20, but felt much better than my first lap and I gave all I had.

I had trained very little and it showed. My right clavicle still broken and manage to keep "rubber side down". I knew if I crashed and landed on my right shoulder, it was going to hurt.

Not sure if I am going to make it for the January race, I have surgery scheduled to fix my clavicle on December 19th. This only leaves about 5 weeks to heel and train, besides, the wife was mad that I even raced last weekend.

I don't regret it and want to race January.

Oh yea, I wish I had a camera with me during the night laps. The view of Temecula city lights from the top of the Damn climb was just awesome. Then the view overlooking Ambulance road and Tunnel of Love with the bike lights was really cool.

15. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    1x1Clyde you need to ride the next race on a Tandem rotating a team of stokers. That way Traci/Mario will be happy you're getting miles in and you won't have to go out alone.

16. protijy

protijy Bean Town Bonehead

Mech Engineer
    Home Page:

Tandem semi solo class? #-o

17. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I do own a tandem and I do like the way you think:lol:

18. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    Perfect. All that's missing is a jersey for you that says "Pedal Faster Biatch!" on the back.

19. atomrat

atomrat New Member

Was there awards for overall Teams? If so, does each team member get a medal?

20. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Yup. There were awards for overall teams. Every team member gets one. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place got medals. 1st place also brought home a trophy.