Rock the Vote - Prop 8, YES/NO?(Threads merged)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MTBMaven, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    I cant believe this thread is still running.

2. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I was aware of my attraction to women at a very, very young age. It has not been easy by any means. Lucky for us we can hide. Unlike blacks or other obvious minorities.
    I chose not to hide, but I was never an in-your-face lesbian. I'm 51 now. When I was growing up gay, this is what it was like.
    In high school I got punched and beat up for my very existence. Remember that when you are scared to send your kid to a public school. We are still a minority at schools. We still get beat up. We also get shot and murdered at school. Ventura last year I think.
    When you teach your kid about homosexuality, I suppose somehow you'll teach them to look down on someone different. Ho-hum! So what else is new. Maybe teach compassion and patience instead of fear and loathing! What a concept!
    I got fired for being gay. Did I do anything? Naw, I was just gay. Did I flaunt it? No!
    I went where it was safe at 16 to be gay. Gay bars. Fake ID and friends 10 years older than me helping me adjust. We dealt with the stink bombs thrown in the bars. We ran from the guys outside with the chains waiting to cave our heads in. We dealt with the cops that could give a shit.
    In a bar where it was "safe", if we were dancing or had our arm around someone we cared about and the cops walked in, we could be arrested.
    A couple years ago, I went to a restaurant with Jeanine and we never got served. The waiter ignored us and served other people that walked in after us. We walked out. I called and complained to the owner who was thunderstruck and offered us a free evening but we never went back. That was Jeanine's first experience with discrimination. She couldn't believe it but it's old hat to me. No matter, same ol' same ol'!
    Most recently, last year, I accidently blocked some people in with my car. I had no idea it was a thru way and I ran out to move my car. As I walked past a car, I said sorry to the woman sitting there and tried to explain I had no idea and she just called me a "stupid dyke".
    She never heard my sincere apology. She just said 'stupid dyke' and in my whole gay life, nothing has hurt more and I don't know why. :( Maybe because i foolishly believe everyone has come so far.
    I hope some day if there is a god and she stands before her god, her god will say; 'look at the pain you caused'. And I hope she cries and feels awful.
    I am what I am. I can't change. I am lucky to not be Matthew Shepard or ten thousand other gays that have been killed or hate themselves or are living a lie.
    Man, this is so tiring. Especially when I KNOW that my life experience will draw pity (don't bother) from some and then they will rant and rave if I finally do get the rights I deserve.
    Like the man said, if you wanted this to not be an issue,you should have voted no. Were you at all aware of the 18,000 that got married? How?

I posted this June 7th 2008. It's page 3 of this big thread.

[​IMG] 15 years!
    Let me put a face to this for some of you.
    Like it or not, I deserve the same rights as you.
    I have harmed no-one in my personal pursuit of happiness.
    Unlike many of you, I have found my rock, my light, my soul-mate. We have laughed and cried and been there for one another and argued about bills and bought a house together and made a complete and normal life together.
    It's been 15 years this January! We save lost dogs and cats and re-home them. We donate to charities that help animals and children and fire departments and even the police. I like to help elderly people across the street or carry groceries out for them. If they knew who I was, would they pull away and call me sick? That's what I wonder. Do they hate me? Do they want to take away my rights as a person that loves another person?
    15 years! How many of you can say that? How many of you can respect that?
    If this wasn't California, we would be in deep trouble.
    I could not make a life saving decision for her if she were in an accident. I couldn't even visit her in the hospital.
    The supreme court decision over turned Prop. 22 because the will of the people is wrong! The judges on that court are mostly republican but they see the big picture in this. It is flat out unfair discrimination.
    Read it here. IN THE SUPREME COURT OF CALIFORNIA

I'm perfectly happy with a Domestic Partnership benefit type union. By doing that, she was able to get my health insurance coverage at FedEx. Only offered to employee's in Ca. and Ma. by the way. Whereas UPS has offered full partnership benefits since 2001.
    Also, you can still be fired simply for being gay in 32 states in this country. Or is it 38.:-k
    Damn!! I'm stuck here!! With 5$ a gallon gas!!
    Anyway, I'm happy with the benefits a domestic partnership allows us. Marriage will give us more. That is the only reason I would get married but like it or not, lots of people that are gay want to be married in a church under the eyes of God. That is their belief. That is how they were raised. That is their right. Believe this or not, it doesn't affect you. You may not like it. So what.
    Live your life in peace. Help hungry children and lost pets and read to the elderly. Trust me. Gay marriage? Please. There are bigger things to worry about in this crumbling world!
    Attached Thumbnails [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    please allow me to tell you about it.

i had developed an entire thematic unit about teaching the gay militant agenda, then prop 8 became approved. now i have to go back to teaching kids about how the majority of hetero marriages end in divorce--and many of the rest involve cheating. what a headache.

4. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Liz - Thank you for sharing your story. It clearly took courage to open yourself up like this and I respect that.

Per the poll results, I'm going to close this thread for 30 days. During this time it's my hope that everyone can take a breath, remember that the diversity that makes America a great nation also means there will be folks with opposing views. We can engage in dialogue without putting them down for their views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.