Rock the Vote - Prop 8, YES/NO?(Threads merged)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MTBMaven, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver

Silver New Member

Of course you do.

You don't have the right to have others respect your opinions and logic, however. You expect to be showered with thanks from the gay community and others who disagree on Prop 8 just because you voted yes? Anything short of that is hate?

2. Justin

Justin I fall a lot

Computer Programmer
    I'm still stuck on the fact that this situation is no different than any other civil rights movement. You don't need to "protect" your kids from gays, any more than you need to protect your kids from black people, or any other minority.

I'm in a very happy hetero sexual relationship, and I still find it hard to swallow that in this day in age, in this state, we are hateful/scared of/whatever gay people. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be directly effected by this.

3. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Who

You don't need to "protect" your kids from gays, any more than you need to protect your kids from black people, or any other minority.

Who is "You":?:

4. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    Bill Clinton? Is that you?

5. Justin

Justin I fall a lot

Computer Programmer
    You is directed at everyone who voted yes to protect their kids. It was the specific target of a scare campaign commercial, and the most repeated reason I've heard to vote yes.

I'm trying to stay generic, because I am friends with many people on both sides of the fence. That won't change... I may not change a single person's mind. I do however, for whatever reason, feel obligated to share my opinion with whoever will listen. If nothing else, at least those effected can find comfort in the fact that not everyone is against their cause.

6. boludo

boludo Member

Money Manager/Finance
    Unfortunately both sides feel that. Religious against the gay cause, gay cause against religious.

Chicken egg, egg chicken.

But I'm at a loss about the legality of prop 8. Does the federal govt recognize gay marriage? Most states dont. So how is that against the constitution? I'm guessing you're focusing on a certain part of it. Please enlighten me.

7. Justin

Justin I fall a lot

Computer Programmer
    That is the hardest part, and you're 100% correct. I guess in this case, I choose sides, because prop 8 wasn't about the constitution forcing an amendment to the bible. It was about the bible forcing an amendment to the constitution. I'd rather that neither of those scenario's exist.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  8. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Apparently I'm an artist of some description
    No-one is telling any religion they have to recognize gay marriage, they're just telling them that they have no say in the matter because it's not their life.
    The 14th amendment guarantees all citizens equal protection under the law. If straight people can get married, so can gays, unless you want to tell gays that the 14th amendment doesn't apply to them.

That's what Prop 8 does.

Some churches have now been barred from marrying gay couples where they did before and yet those who support Prop 8 still say that it represents religious freedom, when it does not.

Prop 8 is a violation therefore of both the 1st and the 14th Amendments, that's why it will not hold up in court as soon as it's challenged.

9. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

So

You is anyone that voted YES and these folks are also against Black people and other "non White" people:?:

I also find it interesting that people are blaming the LDS folks for dumping $$ into the YES on 8 campaign.

Where these people also complaining that Obama had more $$ than McCain?

Anyway......Some ultra liberial judge will overturn the vote by the people....mark my words.

10. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

You live in a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy.

The Constitution protects minorities from the majority, the popular vote doesn't mean shit if it goes against the Constitution.

11. Justin

Justin I fall a lot

Computer Programmer
    one can only hope.

12. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Yes

Yes we do live in a Constitutional Republic:)

13. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Hope

I would have hoped that if Prop 8 was " Un-Constitutional" it wouldn't have went out to vote.

But then again look how much fun we are having;)

14. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Unfortunately the only criterion for getting a Proposition on the ballot is getting enough signatures.

That's why Prop 22 went through and was then struck down, it's only when the laws make it onto the books that they can be examined and overturned.

The current legal challenge says that the scope of Prop 8 is too large to be a Constitutional Amendment and in fact qualifies as a Constitutional Revision (since it has huge knock on effects in terms of equal rights), consequently it should have been approved by a 2/3rds majority in the Legislature before being submitted to the popular vote.

Even Prop 22 didn't get a 2/3rds majority when it went up for a vote last time and the last time they tried to pass an amendment to the US Constitution it only got 20% of the vote.

15. Elisheva

Elisheva New Member

counterterrorism
    Previous posts have suggested that voting Yes on prop 8 is the equivalent of hating and being fearful of gays. Give me a break. This is where the argument gets weak and stupid.

It is possible to show respect to others whose viewpoints you disagree with.

16. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Sure. I am sure a yes vote gave them a warm fuzzy feeling. :?:

17. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    One of the problems with the yes on prop 8 may be that now not everyone is allowed to have the same amount of fun.

18. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Except that a Yes vote on 8 means you don't.

You voted against equal rights for a minority just because you don't agree with it.

If you believe in equal rights, then their right to marry is no more or less valid than your right to believe what you want.

The difference is that allowing gays to marry does not deny you the right to continue believing that it's wrong.

Unless you can prove that your rights supersede theirs, then you should respect their freedoms and leave them alone to live how they want to.

19. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
  20. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

If anyone believes that a tax exempt "religious" institution should not be using their massive amounts of funds to sway a vote against equal rights for all, please sign the petition below.
    If you think that's ok, then just ignore this post..thanks

http://www.petitiononline.com/Prop8/petition.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.