Road/MTB helmets

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by AKAlan, Jul 31, 2013.

1. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    For those that ride road and MTB, do you have separate helmets for each or do you use the same one for both? I've always used the same helmet for both and remove the visor for road. I found a couple of cracks in my current helmet so I'm shopping around for a new one and I'm not seeing much that I like and would work for both aesthetically (yes, I'm a slave to fashion :?:). If you use one helmet for both, what's your favorite? A separate question, what's with the MTB helmets coming so far down the back of the head? I'm trying to envision the situation of hitting my head on the lower back part and I just don't see the circumstances where that extra length would make a difference.

2. Allthatflash

Allthatflash New Member

Photographer/ Owner of Pedal Power Events
    Only helmet that I see a lot on both road and MTB are the Specilaized Prevail helmets....I myself use one for MTB and one for road but both are differnt helmet brands, makes it easier keeping all my MTB gear together and same with my road gear. As far as the helmets going down the neck, its all prefrence until you bonk your head going over the bars and that when you wish you paid attention to that extra detail. MTB helmets are supposed to protect your head and different then a road helmet should since your are not crash on rocks and other pointy objects, but I am sure either will do its job to a certain point if you have just one for all type of helmet.

3. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    The new trend is a more covered back. Think of it as a mullet in helmet form :bang: I believe POC helmets came up with that. A few other mfrs. have models like that now. I got one for my daughter so she'd have better coverage for her neck and back of head.

As for me, I'm a two helmet guy, one for road and one for mtb. even though they are both road/XC style. I did this because the mtb one gets all dirty and I was tired of cleaning it off for road use.

4. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

I wear a Giro Atmos on the road, and a Giro Xar in the dirt.

5. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I have one. Don't see why I'd need two. The one I have is a Fox MTB helmet. It will protect my head the same as a road helmet. To be honest I don't know what the difference is between the two. I'd have to Google it. I guess I don't hang out with enough roadies to know about that stuff.

6. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

No, you don't need separate helmets, unless you care what others think and want to fit in and be a conformist. If you do, you should shave your legs and arms too and that's just the beginning.

The trend is for more coverage in the back for MTB helmets.

I just bought a POC Trabec Race helmet after reading some articles about the new MIPS system in Popular Mechanics and Bicycling magazines. That probably wasn't necessary either, but I was about due for a new helmet and was pushing my limits on the trail so thought it would be wise.

7. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    The reason I have separate helmets is that because of the body position on the road bike, a visor cuts off my view of traffic signals and the low back of an MTB helmet isn't as comfortable. If you are riding in a more upright position, this probably doesn't apply.

Road helmets tend to have more vents and better air circulation also.

8. leondelmonte

leondelmonte Member

I use only one, cause I'm cheap, and don't ride road that often.
    For a moment I was felt like getting a road helmet for the looks, but reality is no one cares what you wear or what you ride.

9. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

That's exactly my reasoning as well.

10. bikerider

bikerider New Member

I'm a two helmet guy. For one, I ride 4-5 days a week and alternating helmets, I seem to get a little longer life out of them. I have a Speshy S3 that I've used for both and have recently stepped up to a POC TRABEC race. Nice helmet, better coverage on the front side and back. Downside is it's hot.

11. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Exactly why I only wear road/xc style for both disciplines.

12. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Two helmets. Road has more vents and seems lighter though I've never weighed the two. Mountain bike has the visor. Shave your legs if you want. Most guys I know that do that have hot looking legs!

13. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    It's interesting that road helmets have the better ventilation, with the higher speeds they should need it less than MTB.

I thought I made it clear in my OP that I do care about the fashion aspect of it, I like to look good like most people do and I'm not embarrassed to admit it. And I would shave my legs but I can barely keep my face shaved regularly so my legs don't stand a chance :lol:

14. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    What is with mountain bikers and visors? Do you not wear sunglasses?

One helmet for both disciplines. Who needs a visor?

15. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Maybe it is just my impression but it seems that whenever I compare the two, there is generally more protection on the back of the helmet in the MTB versions....

16. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    People who are trying to avoid skin cancer, the visor isn't very big but every bit helps. Both my mom and brother have had melanoma removed so I try take every precaution.

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I've been using the same helmet for both for a few years now. S-Works Prevail currently, but used the S-Works MTB (visor removed for both acitivites) helmet for both prior.

No real reason to have two unless you need to match your bike(s) and they aren't the same color ;)

18. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

I use a commuter helmet when I ride my Townie. I wear a mountain bike helmet when I ride my 29er SS and a baseball cap when I ride my beach cruiser.:)

19. bleeding_novice

bleeding_novice OnNineNine

The visor does help cutting down glare, it's from my personal experience.

To OP, I have 3, one for road, one enduro type for trails and a full face for park. I used to use road helmets for mtn, but want the extra coverage for mtn.

20. riiz

riiz Member

I have a helmet for each, a Poc for the moutains and a cheap Giro XC model that I use for road. But it was really just to not wear out each helmet's liners as fast.