Riding with shoulder pads

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by willsy, Dec 31, 2013.

1. willsy

willsy New Member

bankers hours...
    Hello all,

in September 2012 I wrecked and tore the labrum in my right shoulder, and haven’t been on a bike since. After a few months of dealing with my HMO, I had surgery in December 2012.

After more than a year of painkillers, slings, icepacks, rest, rehab, muscle atrophy, back problems, sleepless nights, chiropractor visits, thousands of dollars spent, etc… my shoulder has healed enough to get back on the bike. However, I’m petrified of taking another spill and starting all over again.

So, I thought shoulder pads would help.

I’m not an aggressive rider by any means. Most of the stuff I ride is XC, with a little AM thrown in there, Oaks, Luge, Blackstar, Maple Springs types. I don’t bomb down anything, I’m just looking for a little extra protection when I inevitably crash.

Any ideas or suggestions out there? What are you guys using? I haven;t seen a lot of XC guys wearing this stuff, but I know they're out there. Weight is not a huge concern for me, but I don't want to roll out with Football pads either.

Thanks all

2. pwe312

pwe312 Member

3. bing!

bing! Active Member

The thing about hard shell armor that have outer plates is that they allow force to be deflected. I've literally skipped on the ground and off rocks. If youre trying to avoid compression injuries, and I emphasize avoid not eliminate, you're best bet are hard shells.

That said, I have g forms and trail type hard shell armor. I use the g forms most of the time as they are the least obstructive. foam type and edo armor are great for straight on impacts, protection from abrasion and lacerations.

4. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Good points... i use the g-form elbow and knee pads too and they do a good job of deflecting the force if i fall on the center of the pads. You can watch their bowling ball demonstrations to see that they work. But the foam is thinner on the edges and probably won't work as well. With your shoulder, it doesn't have as good of coverage and its hard to predict what part of the shoulder will have a direct impact. If you don't fall on the thickest part of the foam on your shoulder, it probably won't do much.

5. willsy

willsy New Member

bankers hours...

that's how the injury happened in the first place. I crashed at about 15-20 MPH and fell directly on the right shoulder. The impact moved the ball out of the socket and RIIIIIP.

that's what I want to avoid from now on

anyone have experience with a hard protector? the fox and 661 compression suits would certainly get the job done, however they seem far too heavy and black for the summer months. I would like to find lighter and short sleeve, if possible, with no back plate or with removable one. (I imagine my camelbak takes care of that)

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

I have hardshell chest armor that I can't say I've tested. The tendency fore is when I'm wearing hardshell stuff, I will extend my elbow to avoid making contact with my shoulder.

7. Econoline

Econoline New Member

8. guero

guero iFroth

9. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

I run the TLD 5955. I don't use it much, but I've used it in the summer and the venting works well. It isn't bulky, easy to wear, customizable, and it's Leatt compatible.
    TLD-C01-_sw2_White.jpg
    TLD5955.jpg

10. JackG

JackG New Member

I have a Fox Titan jacket that I rode and crashed at Whistler over the summer. The forearms and elbows moved when going down but took the initial impact. I gave a shoulder and a the spine protector a workout on Dirt Merchant. The shoulders seemed to stay put, and the spine protector worked (it has a good sized gouge near the bottom). The spine protector on the Titan is removable, but a backback doesn't provide the same coverage. The Titan back protector goes down below the tail bone, and I was thankful for that. You can see the same type of coverage on the TLD pictures above. Just know what you are giving up if you rely on your pack ...

11. willsy

willsy New Member

bankers hours...
    thanks all, very helpful

the TLD looks like what I was envisioning; gonna try one on and see how it fits

12. turbomk3

turbomk3 Member

Rocket Scientist
    I run the vest version of the new Leatt AirFit jacket on fast descents. Quality is great and it breathes pretty well. I wasn't as much concerned with shoulder protection as I was with chest/rib protection.

[​IMG]

13. willsy

willsy New Member

bankers hours...
    I tried the 5955 today and I liked the overall fit, but the joint at the top of the shoulder didn't seem to absorb the impact as well as the cupped pads.

So instead I bought the Fox titan jacket. Gonna ride w/o the backplate tomorrow and see how it feels.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: NEVERMIND! too bulky and hot!