Riding Vancouver island BC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trestles126, Nov 9, 2015.

1. trestles126

trestles126 Member

Me and my wife are going to Vancouver island for 7 days in the end of April. We will be in Tofino for 4 and Victoria for 3. Can anyone recommend a good SS trail brining a ibis tranny 29. Or I may rent if there's rentals available. Plan on surfing Tofino as well if the conditions are right.

portlypeddler likes this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
  3. evdog

evdog Member

There is some good riding in Victoria and just to the north - Hartland Dump, Cobble Hill, Mt Tzou. Steve Smiths segment in Seasons was on Mt Prevost. I don't know that these would be great for a SS though you would probably have more fun on a full suspension. A lot of the rides used to be freeride oriented - climb up trail or road and then descend singletrack but they may have more xc trails now. The trails could be more difficult than you're used to as well, blues up there would be black down here, etc. Expect rock slabs, rollers, wet roots and woodwork. I've heard there is trail in Ucluelet and Port Alberni but don't know anything about the riding there.

Hopefully you will luck out on weather but the west side of the Island gets tons of rain. Victoria has a better chance of being clear. You can ride in the rain or after it though, the trails stand up fine when wet. The best bet for SS riding is Hornby Island. You could make that a day trip stop on the way from Tofino down. Its not far out of the way and is an easy ferry ride over. Hornby Island trails are really fun and would be great for SS. There is also great riding in Cumberland and Snowden Demo forest by Campbell River. Those are an hour north but could be an option if the weather in Tofino really sucks. It may rain heavily there but could be nice on the east side of the Island.

herzalot and portlypeddler like this.
  4. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    We just vacationed in Ucluelet / Tofino, there is no legal mountain biking there. Closest place is about 2.5 hours away around Comox region. Bring your hiking boots, there's tons of beautiful hiking there or go surfing, it's huge there.

Bike riding consists of paved bike paths, you can rent cruisers for that. They're reasonably priced.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  5. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    ^^^^sad face