Revo in Dana Point

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by slowSSer, Feb 22, 2008.

1. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I have been to the Path, but since I don't have a car I can't go... I do have my license though. There is a guy named "Cliff" working on my bike. I dunno who he is but yeah, he's the mechanic I was talking to. I would learn how to do it by my self but I don't have the money or more importantly the time to do. I would rather go out riding whenever I get the chance than sit in the garage working on the bike. Whenever I'm not riding I'm either studying for school, studying for the SAT, or doing community service. Apologies for the rage... just makes me mad when people say one thing and do another.

2. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

The tools needed to do a simple tune-up, a hub tightening, or a derailleur swap are cheaper than what you paid for service, if you don't already have them. If you have a multi-tool, you can perform this type of work and most maintenance with that alone. Time-wise, it seems your bike has been sitting there for multiple days for very simple work that you spent way too much money for, that would have taken you 20 minutes in your garage. Also, it seems to be pretty much standard for LBSs to charge service fees to install product purchased somewhere else. The other thing is you will improve your own knowledge of your bike and its parts. You took it in for a tuneup, but now you need a new rear derailleur? This doesn't seem odd? The only reason you need to replace a derailleur is if the existing one is broken, which would be hard to miss. But they just tell you that you need a new one and you just say ok, throw it on? Do you even know whether or not you need a new one?

3. dicky

dicky New Member

RAILROADER
    Absolutely correct. Be self supportive and learn. It's just nuts and bolts. REI has beginner and comprehensive bike maintanence classes on various weekends. You have to spend some money to save in the long run. Dont rely on others to do as good a job as you will do for yourself. :-k Dont mean to preach...

4. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Mine has been bent for a while. Press mold for the limter screw also came out.

P.S. Everything is well... sooo. :)

5. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

I'll install it for 10 :)

6. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider

Harsh lesson though that you probably have figured out. Almost every advertised "free tune-up" service in world probably isn't and they will find a way to charge you something.

If life has got you too bogged down right now to learn to do a 10min install, perhaps a rigid Singlespeed is the way to go. Though you'll still have to put air in the tires yourself.

7. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

An idea I've had for a while. :beer: SS Sounds fun and less maintenence. I got my bike back yesterday and went out for a spin today. Everything was fixed up pretty well aside from the derailluer. But thats understandable because they can never get it right. Fixed that up and I'm set. :)

8. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

I like REVO. I do my own service but hey, they stock the primo stuff, killer taco's next door, and if your not in the mood for that walk down the alley to Hennesey's.

plus free cytomax refills in your poly.

what's not to love??