Rear tire thoughts

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by scottywc, Sep 13, 2014.

1. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    On Friday I tore the sidewall of my rear tire (first flat in almost two years) so I'm looking for a new tire.

I currently have a specialized 'captan' 2.2 and it's been ok. My main grip is that it climbs great on hard pack, but the second the trail goes lose, it's not the greatest.

What are you guys running? I need a 26" version of something that can climb the lose rutted rocky trails in south OC. I was looking at the Continental trail king but am open to other ideas.

2. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

How light do you want to go? Currently running Maxxis DHR2 EVO/TR casing 60a 2.3x26. It just hooks up and seems to last well so far. ~750 grams. I've also got a back-up Trail King 2.2 with "protection" casing for when the DHR2 wears out. Rode the non-protection case version in the past but cut the sidewall after a few rides. Seemed to work fine traction-wise. But I wouldn't go with the lighter casing to save some weight if you're just gonna cut the sidewall.

Oh yeah, I have the Spec Butcher in Grid casing on the front right now. Again, for me, I wouldn't go with the lighter casing to save weight due to more likelyhood of cutting the sidewall. Just me. Killer front tire and similar to a DHF Exo so might work well on the rear too (allot of people run DHF on the rear). The Butcher Grid 2.3 is a little lighter than the DHF Exo 2.3.

3. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Bontrager xr4 team issue is a good tire. It also mounts up tubeless super easy. I used a floor pump on my wtb i25.

4. Jackson

Jackson Member

Doin Stuff
    Second on the Bontrager.....been my favorite tire ever for over a year now.

5. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    I ran The Captains for years. Now I like Nobby Nics. They're much better when grinding up rough hills, and I can push them harder into corners. The biggest downside with such a switch is the Nobby Nics seem to have much more rolling resistance. The tread seems to get torn up quicker on rough rocks, but I'm not sure if it's the tire itself or because I can ride them with more enthusiasm than I could The Captains. I've never had a sidewall problem with the Nobby Nics, a nice change from the Specialized tires. Also, the Schwalbe tires fit the rims a lot tighter, which allows a little more leeway for tire pressure.

6. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    i liked the xr3 a little more than the xr4. comes in i think 2 weights

7. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    I have the trail King, or is it the mountain king? Anyways it does have really really good grip. Problem is the 2.2 volume is actually pretty small, its a bit narrow so you have to keep some good PSI's in there or it will pinch flat. But I have grown to like that rear tire. It rolls ok, probably in the middle of the pack

8. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    This seems to be a common thing with Schwalbe tires, not so much from rocks specifically as just all around wear. Good traction tho. Lots of my friends love Trail King/Mountain King tires.

9. socal_rider

socal_rider Member

Another happy Bontrager XR4 Team Edition owner on the back of my All Mountain bike. Good traction climbing and braking.

27.5 x 2.35 is big (true to size) and weight is 780g. I imagine 26" is similar.

10. pdqmach26

pdqmach26 New Member

I love the Maxxis DHR 2 tr/evo I use it 75% of the time in south OC

11. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    2nd this in the 2.25 TLR version for rear. It climbs better than my Maxxis High Roller I. Lightweight and lasts a long time. Make sure any Bontragers you get are 2012+, otherwise they SUCCCCKKKKEEED!!!

12. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    I'm pretty much skipping Schwalbe. I'm a simple rider on a simple budget.

13. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    I run a high roller up front. Love that tire!

14. riiz

riiz Member

Geax Sagauro, rolls fast, does decently well in loose for an XC tire, and does not wear out. Plus they're relatively cheap at $45

15. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    I have new set of XR4s 26 if anyone is interested. I'm running both XR3s team issues on both my bikes and couldn't be happier. I'm also interested in running a Maxxis Icon in the rear next time around.

16. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

I just swapped an Ardent 2.4 which I had up front, onto the rear, which replaces my balding Vee Trax. Haven't ridden it yet, but I wasn't happy with the Ardent up front. The Vee Trax was surprisingly good, considering it was only about $10. The Vee's casing was very stout... probably why it weighs like 700g for an undersized 2.1/2.0 tire. Slashed many lighter weight tires, especially wide ones that looked to be grippy for the weight, so careful about choosing tires based on weight, width, and knobbiness.

17. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

I bought mine because of your recommendation, so thanks!

18. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Ground Control 2.1 Control (std.) version. The GC 2.3 is a sweet front tire--I liked it even better than the 2.1 up front. I found The Captain a tad sketchy. The GC has been super predictable, never suddenly letting go. It rolls fast climbs great, corners securely. I like Bontrager XR3s a lot too (designed by the same guy who designed the GC).

19. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Try the HR II then, whenever your current one wears out (which will be a while, up front). I was a High Roller fan, but put the HR II exo up front (2.4) and I am really enjoying it. Compared to the Bonty XR4 2.35, the HRII exo is a tad more stiff however. It feels like it bounces off of stuff more, so I run less air in it. Great cornering tire, as are most if not all Maxxis.

Thread derail - sorry. This is about rear tires. I haven't tried the High Roller II as a back tire, but I'll bet it's better back there than the HR I.

20. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    +1 on this. I've pushed this tire on some pretty sketchy areas. Climbs and descends very well.